Auburns four man backfield being cut down

AWK

They talk about how good Lester is with his explosion of Speed and juke moves, The want to cut the backfield down to two starters and two back ups before the South Carolina game. I say Brad lester and Kenny Irons, oh and by the way, Today is Kenny's Birthday, give him a shout if ya know him! :cheer:

http://www.aunews.net/News/frmArticle.aspx?NEW_ID=1177

I'm anxious to see what KI and Carl can do when given a lot of carries. I like what I saw in the MSU game and even the JP announcers were saying he had a "Carnell like" style of running.

When I see Carl Stewart run, it almost looks like he's not running hard or being tentative. Then I remembered an article I read on the guy from high school saying he was deceptively fast and that was his style. He had some great stats in HS and that same article said something to the effect of him being taken out by halftime of most games because they were already blowouts.

Personally, I'd like to see KI and CS be our 1-2 punch and let's see what they can do. :cheer::au:

I say Stewart and Lester. That is just going by game performance in the two games. However, I actually think it is too quick to cut down the carries for any of them. I think in these next two games, it would be best to try to split the carries between Stewart, Irons, and Lester. It will be against weak opponents and will give the coaches a little bit of better idea of who should be the starters and who should be the backups. Overall our running game and O Line need to improve and I don't think narrowing down the runners is going to help that too much right now. Heck, all three of them (Stewart, Irons, and Lester) are young. So what's the rush?

I definitely think that you have to have a big back in the mix, therefore CS has to be one of the guys. In a choice between Irons and Lester, I have been more impressed with Lester. He has quick feet and he always seems to be going forward. He may not be running over many people but he seems to be getting positive yardage. When I watch Irons, he looks as he has great speed and moves but am confused when he gets so few yards. I believe he is going east/west more than north/south.

How soon we forget Tre Smith. Tre is injured right now. He will be back when the schedule gets a little tougher. NEVER forget Tre Smith. He has proven himself capable in the crunch. I think Carl Stewart has all of the tools to be a very good SEC rb. Brad Lester will get his share of carries over the next few weeks. KI is gonna' be a very big part of our offense down the road. :au:

WAR EAGLE! ! !

How soon we forget Tre Smith. Tre is injured right now. He will be back when the schedule gets a little tougher. NEVER forget Tre Smith. He has proven himself capable in the crunch. I think Carl Stewart has all of the tools to be a very good SEC rb. Brad Lester will get his share of carries over the next few weeks. KI is gonna' be a very big part of our offense down the road. :au:

WAR EAGLE! ! !

181502[/snapback]

You are right WT. I have not forgotten about Tre, which is why I did not mention him. I don't think anybody can ever doubt Tre's effort and his heart. However, Tre is just not built to be the main RB, compared to the younger guys anway. Tre is a great player and has performed well in the crunch, but to no fault of his own, he can't do it every game. Tre is a great specialty and situational player, but I don't think he can do a better job then all three of the other guys. I tell you what, I will remember the name Tre Smith in 50 years because of what he did to bammer a couple of years ago. Tre Smith should know that he will always be an :au: legend, regardless of the amount of playing time he gets.

I know it was late in the game and State was whipped, but Brad Lester really looked good to me. On the touchdown series (when he scored) there was one play when he juked out to the right--looked EXACTLY like the No. 5 NFL pick this year,

Would like to see more of him before they pare the list.

I love Tre to death, but he has just not looked very good running the ball this year. Maybe put him in at the slot? He has done well recieving. I know that he had to be our #1 back for a reason, he can not be as far behind the other backs as he looks. I really don't see him dropped from the top 2.

WAR EAGLE! ! !

181502[/snapback]

Well Tim, the thing about Tre is that he seems to be still banged up from the appendectomy. Rightfully so, he looks afraid to take a hit. If you notice, he keeps shuffling upfield and looking for holes. Go back and watch the tape of Tre in the 2002 Bama game. The offensive line is a draw now as to the one we had then. Tre had no fear for a freshman and was gone almost instantly. Now.. not so much.

Give him til the LSU game .. then the kid is gonna be freakin' awesome. Mark my words. If given the chance, he will have 150+ yard games against the Kentucky's of the world later in the season.

As far as I am concerned, Tre IS NOT THE TAILBACK WE ARE GOING TO LEAN ON.

If you have watched any of the games, you'll agree. I heard one poster say," If a wasp farted on the field...tre would fall down." That about sums it up. Ya, hes got all the heart in the world.....too bad the talent level we have at RB surpasses him in power, speed, and athletic ability. I think Tre's starting days are over at the plains.

As for whos going to start...I am a big Kenny Irons fan....but it seems the coaches are leaning towards Stewart and Lester. Coach Gran bragged about Lester's explosiveness and Stewarts ability to actually BLOCK.

I think its definitely Carl Stewart....and either Kenny or Lester.

I think there are "Certain" reasons why some people like Tre....but if I noted those, I would get blasted....best to keep it to yourself. If anyone has watched the past 2 games (yes Tre got hurt, but he still did poorly before the injury) would notice that Tre occasionally misses big blocks, and cannot run North and South.

As far as I am concerned, Tre IS NOT THE TAILBACK WE ARE GOING TO LEAN ON.

If you have watched any of the games, you'll agree.  I heard one poster say," If a wasp farted on the field...tre would fall down." 

181546[/snapback]

LOL that was me :big: , Tre is a good player, but we need a dominant back with speed AND size :au:

WAR EAGLE! ! !

181502[/snapback]

I like Tre, and I admire his work ethic and his heart but if I never see him as a starter in the Auburn backfield again, it would be fine with me. He is not our answer.

Tre WILL be the starter when he returns healthy. The AU rules are that nobody loses their position because of injury. :au:

I am very proud to have TRE SMITH as AU's #1 rb. :au:

Tre WILL be the starter when he returns healthy. The AU rules are that nobody loses their position because of injury. :au:

I am very proud to have TRE SMITH as AU's #1 rb. :au:

181554[/snapback]

WT, you must either be the president of Tre's fan club or either you are related to him. I say that because you, my friend, are for sure very passionate about that excellent young man! I don't see anybody swaying your opinion about Tre's position in the rotation. :lol:

Althought I would claim him if he were related, alas, He is not. I think the thing that we all seem to overlook in the rb rotation is EXPERIENCE. I had this same discussion with someone over the summer on this board. Talent is a wonderful thing. Talent with experience, ala Ronnie & Carnell in '04, is a GREAT thing. CS-KI-BL should all be very good SEC rbs in TIME. Tre has been through the tough battles on the FIELD. That experience, plus talent, is why he was at the top of the pecking order and why he remains there until someone steps up and proves that HE can be the every down man. :au:

Just my 2 cents. (That and 48 cents more will buy you a Coke, in some places.) :D

Althought I would claim him if he were related, alas, He is not. I think the thing that we all seem to overlook in the rb rotation is EXPERIENCE. I had this same discussion with someone over the summer on this board. Talent is a wonderful thing. Talent with experience, ala Ronnie & Carnell in '04, is a GREAT thing. CS-KI-BL should all be very good SEC rbs in TIME. Tre has been through the tough battles on the FIELD. That experience, plus talent, is why he was at the top of the pecking order and why he remains there until someone steps up and proves that HE can be the every down man. :au:

Just my 2 cents. (That and 48 cents more will buy you a Coke, in some places.) :D

181564[/snapback]

Oh, when it comes to that I agree with you. I believe Tre should have started the season as #1. However, I eventually think he will be passed up because the others have a more talent at the position and it will eventually show as the coaches get more looks at them. Tre gives 110% and the whole team could do good to follow his example. Tre's build limits his ability at the RB position in Div-1 football to be the one to carry the team every game. Tre getting hurt did not help him out either. Tre is probably my favorite player on the team, but unfortunately, I think talent is eventually going to win out over experience in this case.

IMO, the two backs who are the most COMPLETE backs in terms of speed, quickness, moves, catching the football, blocking for his teammates,and protecting the football SHOULD PLAY NO MATTER who that is...... The coaches will know who this is NOT US! WDE Forever and Forever. :cheer::au:

Carl Stewart is ia young Ronnie Brown in the making. Ronnie ran rather tentative his first couple of years.

I like KI, and think he could be a big help. I also like Lester. I would play Irons at the "H" back and put Lester at TB. Use Lester and Stewart much like we did Williams and Brown last year.

IMO, the two backs who are the most COMPLETE backs in terms of speed, quickness, moves, catching the football, blocking for his teammates,and protecting the football SHOULD PLAY NO MATTER who that is...... The coaches will know who this is NOT US! WDE Forever and Forever. :cheer:   :au:

181580[/snapback]

You are exactly right! However, what makes watching sports like college football so interesting and is to give your opinion on what the coaches of your favorite team should do. There are quite a few posters on the board that know a little about the game, some are even coaches at the high school level. The downside is that there are also quite a few that don't know squat about football and comment anyway. :lol:

Archived