WKU smack talk

Tigermike

WKU receiver gears up for Auburn

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Western Kentucky receiver Chris Jackson isn't intimidated by the idea of playing at Auburn.

He's dreamed about it for years.

So excuse the Phenix City native when he ignores the obvious and believes the Division I-AA Hilltoppers can stroll into Jordan-Hare and actually celebrate a victory.

"We're looking to win. We don't think we're the underdog or anything," said Jackson, a former standout at Glenwood School, 20 miles southwest of Phenix City. "We understand we can't make as many mistakes as against other teams with it being Auburn. If we just make the plays at the time they need to be made, we've got a good chance of upsetting Auburn."

Jackson has an attitude about facing the Tigers.

There's a reason. His father, Billy, played tailback at Alabama for three seasons beginning in 1978. Though Billy Jackson grew up in Phenix City and returned later to raise his family, there never was any love for Auburn.

Never mind the proximity.

"I didn't pay too much attention to Auburn," Chris Jackson said. "It was always 'Roll Tide' at my house. Auburn was the only school in the state that didn't recruit me and they were the closest to my high school."

There was a reason.

Jackson began his career at Central-Phenix City but was a 5-foot-9 kid who weighed less than 170 pounds. He couldn't crack the starting lineup.

So he transferred to Glenwood, a small AISA school in Phenix City. Jackson flourished there as a tailback, finishing the 2001 season with 2,549 yards and 33 touchdowns.

Chris Jackson's coach during his senior year at Glenwood was Wayne Trawick, who coached Billy Jackson at Central High almost three decades earlier.

Trawick said he played Chris Jackson at tailback because he was the best athlete and needed to play a central role in the offense. Trawick, though, always knew the kid's future was as a receiver.

"He had speed and we wanted to put the ball into hands. We didn't think we could do that much with him at wideout," Trawick said. "His first game, he had about 330 yards rushing and about six touchdowns. It didn't take us long to see."

Alabama showed interest, but NCAA scholarship limitations at that stage kept the Crimson Tide from making a full scholarship offer. Ohio University was more accommodating.

So Jackson became a Bobcat.

He played well at Ohio, leading the team with 39 receptions for 390 yards as a sophomore. Still, the Bobcats weren't winning. That was an unacceptable situation for Jackson, who decided to leave when coach Brian Knorr was fired after last season.

The wideout eventually chose Western Kentucky because of its emerging I-AA tradition. The Hilltoppers won the national championship in 2002, and currently are ranked No. 1.

When Ohio beat Pitt three weeks ago on ESPN, Jackson said his former teammates wasted little time before calling to gloat. Still, there never was a moment of regret.

"Basically, Western Kentucky had a winning tradition and Ohio really didn't," Jackson said. "I just needed a change. I wanted to win. I was the leading receiver last year (at Ohio), but sometimes something's got to give. Right now, it's been a good thing."

Jackson's opportunities at WKU have been limited so far. A running team that uses the pass mostly as a diversion, the Hilltoppers have attempted only 29 passes in their first two games.

Jackson has three catches for 70 yards.

Those numbers, though, don't matter.

For the Jacksons and the 50 family members expected to attend today's game, winning is the only statistic that counts.

"(My dad) said he never lost to Auburn. He told me if I ever got to play them, sell out," Jackson said. "He's been telling me, 'Y'all got to beat Auburn.' He calls me every day with it. He's like, 'You got a good game plan?'

"I'm going to try to come up here and sellout for them."

link

"We understand we can't make as many mistakes as against other teams with it being Auburn. "

If you get off the team bus as Western Kentucky and not Florida or Georgia, that is mistake enough.

Auburn starts their scout team and wins by 2 TDs

"(My dad) said he never lost to Auburn. He told me if I ever got to play them, sell out," Jackson said. "He's been telling me, 'Y'all got to beat Auburn.' He calls me every day with it. He's like, 'You got a good game plan?'

link

183319[/snapback]

I don't recall a "Billy Jackson" ever beating Auburn? Did he ever play a down at Bammer? I remember Wilbur Jackson. But he was from Ozark. Now that dude was good.

He played well at Ohio, leading the team with 39 receptions for 390 yards as a sophomore. Still, the Bobcats weren't winning. That was an unacceptable situation for Jackson, who decided to leave when coach Brian Knorr was fired after last season.

It sounds like this guy is very good at "selling out".

Het Mr. Jackson...how about teaching your kid about loyalty and being humble instead of..."selling out". :thumbsdown:

I say, if they are a primary running team...he has caught a whopping 3 catches for 70 yards, we shut down their running game, let him see what he can do against DI and MP on the corners!!! I say probably not very much!! WAR EAGLE !!

Crush the Red Dots, Hilltoppers, whatever!!!

Oh, he is #8, if anybody wants to make signs or so you can just keep an eye on him.

I remember Chris Jackson's days at Glenwood in Phenix City. One of the quickest guys in the AISA, but was so afraid to get hit as a running back. Definitely not an SEC-caliber player.

A little trivia nugget - Jackson's high school, Glenwood Academy, was also the same high school that Tim Hudson went to. Hudson wasn't looked at by any D-1 teams out of high school, went to Chattahoochee Valley CC for one season, then transferred to Auburn when AU realized the talent from the righty.

"Smack talk"? From a hilltopper?

Once a uater, ALWAYS a uater.

He would have fit in well at the :puke: crapstone. B)

Guest Tigrinum Major

This guy would not have fit into the CTT system, it seems.

There is an old saying about walking and talking and what walks and some such something...

Yea, I understand a player being confident, but when you're WKU you don't need to be running your mouth when you're about to play any SEC school. The rest of his team's probably going, "Man, would you shut the #$%# up!" :lol:

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Western Kentucky receiver Chris Jackson isn't intimidated by the idea of playing at Auburn.

He's dreamed about it for years.

So excuse the Phenix City native when he ignores the obvious and believes the Division I-AA Hilltoppers can stroll into Jordan-Hare and actually celebrate a victory.

"We're looking to win. We don't think we're the underdog or anything," said Jackson, a former standout at Glenwood School, 20 miles southwest of Phenix City. "We understand we can't make as many mistakes as against other teams with it being Auburn. If we just make the plays at the time they need to be made, we've got a good chance of upsetting Auburn."

Jackson has an attitude about facing the Tigers.

There's a reason. His father, Billy, played tailback at Alabama for three seasons beginning in 1978. Though Billy Jackson grew up in Phenix City and returned later to raise his family, there never was any love for Auburn.

Never mind the proximity.

"I didn't pay too much attention to Auburn," Chris Jackson said. "It was always 'Roll Tide' at my house. Auburn was the only school in the state that didn't recruit me and they were the closest to my high school."

There was a reason.

Jackson began his career at Central-Phenix City but was a 5-foot-9 kid who weighed less than 170 pounds. He couldn't crack the starting lineup.

So he transferred to Glenwood, a small AISA school in Phenix City. Jackson flourished there as a tailback, finishing the 2001 season with 2,549 yards and 33 touchdowns.

Chris Jackson's coach during his senior year at Glenwood was Wayne Trawick, who coached Billy Jackson at Central High almost three decades earlier.

Trawick said he played Chris Jackson at tailback because he was the best athlete and needed to play a central role in the offense. Trawick, though, always knew the kid's future was as a receiver.

"He had speed and we wanted to put the ball into hands. We didn't think we could do that much with him at wideout," Trawick said. "His first game, he had about 330 yards rushing and about six touchdowns. It didn't take us long to see."

Alabama showed interest, but NCAA scholarship limitations at that stage kept the Crimson Tide from making a full scholarship offer. Ohio University was more accommodating.

So Jackson became a Bobcat.

The wideout eventually chose Western Kentucky because of its emerging I-AA tradition. The Hilltoppers won the national championship in 2002, and currently are ranked No. 1.

When Ohio beat Pitt three weeks ago on ESPN, Jackson said his former teammates wasted little time before calling to gloat. Still, there never was a moment of regret.

"Basically, Western Kentucky had a winning tradition and Ohio really didn't," Jackson said. "I just needed a change. I wanted to win. I was the leading receiver last year (at Ohio), but sometimes something's got to give. Right now, it's been a good thing."

Jackson's opportunities at WKU have been limited so far. A running team that uses the pass mostly as a diversion, the Hilltoppers have attempted only 29 passes in their first two games.

Jackson has three catches for 70 yards.

Those numbers, though, don't matter.

For the Jacksons and the 50 family members expected to attend today's game, winning is the only statistic that counts.

"I'm going to try to come up here and sellout for them."

link

183319[/snapback]

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Not to change the subject... but has this not been the most boring season ever? I am totally bored with it right now.. and actually find myself paying attention to the NFL. I can't wait for WKU to get out of here.

i remember chris jackson..my team, Kingwood Christian, played them and they had us 42-0 @ halftime...i started at CB that game...but come on chris, what are you thinking...plain and simple you guys will lose by 4 TDs....here is neat thing...they played us at home that season and before the game i brought my PS2 to play before the game..i left it in the classroom during the game...well after the game the glenwood players took showers in our gym, that was very close to the classroom that i left my PS2 in..well when i got done changing and freshing up, i went to get my PS2, but it wasnt there, i was like those motherf***ing glenwood players stole my PS2...so i headed out to the parking lot where the bus was at, right before i got to the bus, chris jackson came up to me and said "is this your PS2 homie"...i was like "yeah, give it back"..then he's like some of the players took it but they were just playing a joke on your team...so out of shock that i found my PS2, all i could say was "good game"....so there is my experience with Chris Jackson....

AU 56- WKU 9

We're looking to win.

:blink:

And yes, this has become the most boring season in recent memroy. I wandered into the Bucket Shop Cafe here in ATL to catch the MSU game. Those familiar w/ the joint know that it can be packed to the rafters w/ Tiger fans on Sat, but it looked more like a library than a sports bar. Granted, it was a day game, the Tigers were at home, so many of the faithful were either on the Plains or out and about. I can't imagine many going there today, except for the fact that it's a PPV game, so it's either there or just read about it in the paper tomorrow. Which I'm guessing most will do. We'll see.

Archived