Average Team With Great Potential..

aubie123

I see Auburn as an average team with great potential. It was unsettling to see Virginia Tech beat Georgia Tech 51-7 today. And we gave up 166 yards rushing today against a Division 1-AA team!! That can't happen. We are on pace to go 7-4 at this point. But it's possible that things will improve and we'll end up 9-2, maybe 8-3. Right now we would lose to LSU, Alabama, and Georgia. What are your thoughts??

I see Auburn as an average team with great potential.  It was unsettling to see Virginia Tech beat Georgia Tech 51-7 today.  And we gave up 166 yards rushing today against a Division 1-AA team!!  That can't happen.  We are on pace to go 7-4 at this point.  But it's possible that things will improve and we'll end up 9-2, maybe 8-3.  Right now we would lose to LSU, Alabama, and Georgia.  What are your thoughts??

183578[/snapback]

I agree, our defense has looked average. We can't beat a good team if our defense doesn't step it up.

My thoughts are that we are not average. Ball State is average, Wyoming is average, Miss. St. is average, Kansas State is average. We are not average, we are better than average.

Here's my prediction: Auburn runs all over USC, throws all over LSU, and produces against "the best d in the land". We still go to ATL and get another bid to the Sugar Bowl.

I hope so Moe. I hope you're right. But I still haven't seen anything that shows me we will make it to Atlanta. It'll be interesting to see how LSU plays against Tenn. Monday night.

Western Kentucky had only 155 total yards in the first 3 quarters. Then we threw in our mix of second and third team defense and that's when they scored their points and racked up some yards. We have a great defense with some little dings and injuries that will turn out to be just fine.

This is what is so great about this board. We can converse and talk about all kinds of issues. I'm starting to feel better already. But I still say 8-3 is a likely record this year.

This is what is so great about this board.  We can converse and talk about all kinds of issues.  I'm starting to feel better already.  But I still say 8-3 is a likely record this year.

183588[/snapback]

you are buying into media hype. Bama is not from (you know where) they should have lost today, the only good game they played this year was vs the cocks. LSU all they have been though and their QB sucks. Who esle are we going to lose to? UGA?

Bama must play UT and UF from the east

LSU must play UT and UF from the east

AU only has to play UGA (1 of the big 3)

Do you really think LSU and Bama can overcome this? Bama will lose 3 games atleast if not 4. Tennessee beats LSU tomorrow night, and it might be ugly. Quote me on that please.

I honestly think people are overreacting a bit. The scores for Western Kentucky today came against what our third string defense?? I really am not going to worry too much. Bama hasn't really convinced me that they are as great as Herbstreit would like to think they are at this time. The part of the game I saw...which was just part of the first half since I had to go to our game Arkansas was grinding it out on the ground and bama didn't seem to be able to stop them until Nutt called a timeout on third down and gave Bama time to get their legs back. Our defense will be fine...perhaps we play to our opponents level, not that that is a good thing at all, but this team is still gelling and probably hasn't developed the killer instinct to totally keep teams out of games...you know what, I really don't know what some of you are talking about I'd say 28-0 and 63-3 is shutting the door.

The players will be more excited for the conference games as will all of the fans...it's just a bit hard to get into a game when you are winning by three-four touchdowns and it's 90 degrees in September. Give it a few more weeks and we'll have a much better idea of where we stand, but I still think we're going to be fine. Would those of you who feel we are headed to a 8-4 season still be so worried about that if we hadn't lost to Tech at the beginning of the year?

My thoughts are that we are not average.  Ball State is average, Wyoming is average, Miss. St. is average, Kansas State is average.  We are not average, we are better than average. 

Here's my prediction:  Auburn runs all over USC, throws all over LSU, and produces against "the best d in the land".  We still go to ATL and get another bid to the Sugar Bowl.

183584[/snapback]

First of all, Ball State is not average. Ball State is one of the worst teams in college football. Miss. State is not average. Miss State is the worst team in the SEC. It's nice to dream, but to dream unrealistically is too much.

We'll be lucky to win 8 games.

Yeah, I'll say 8-3 most likely. Our D let GaTech throw AND run on us. Granted, it was our first game with the new crew but the D must improve if we even want to keep it close with LSU and Georgia. Cox has to limit his mistakes as well.

Just don't know enough about ol uat at this point. They've gone up against some poor competition so far, having to make an ESPY worthy play to get back in the game against lowly Southern Miss then crushing USC on the road. Kinda up and down if you ask me. Let's see how they handle a top tier SEC team in UF. :thumbsup:

My thoughts are that we are not average.  Ball State is average, Wyoming is average, Miss. St. is average, Kansas State is average.  We are not average, we are better than average. 

Here's my prediction:  Auburn runs all over USC, throws all over LSU, and produces against "the best d in the land".  We still go to ATL and get another bid to the Sugar Bowl.

183584[/snapback]

First of all, Ball State is not average. Ball State is one of the worst teams in college football. Miss. State is not average. Miss State is the worst team in the SEC. It's nice to dream, but to dream unrealistically is too much.

We'll be lucky to win 8 games.

183649[/snapback]

Are you talking about the same MISS STATE team, that I saw play Georgia, a good game for the longest time. If State hadn't committed so many stupid penalties, it would have been an even better game. They only lost by 13. Yeah but I guess they are the worst team in the SEC.

Are you talking about the same MISS STATE team, that I saw play Georgia, a good game for the longest time.  If State hadn't committed so many stupid penalties, it would have been an even better game.  They only lost by 13.  Yeah but I guess they are the worst team in the SEC.

183662[/snapback]

I don't think UGA is all that....they also squeaked by USC if you remember.

Right now we would lose to LSU, Alabama, and Georgia.  What are your thoughts??

183578[/snapback]

My thoughts are you should cancel your subscription to the Birmingham News and keep your radio off AM 690.

Things will look a little more realistic then.

Two of the three teams you point out are not all that impressive, and we just don't know about LSU.

It's way too early to throw in the towel.

War Eagle!

I see Auburn as an average team with great potential.  It was unsettling to see Virginia Tech beat Georgia Tech 51-7 today.  And we gave up 166 yards rushing today against a Division 1-AA team!!  That can't happen.  We are on pace to go 7-4 at this point.  But it's possible that things will improve and we'll end up 9-2, maybe 8-3.  Right now we would lose to LSU, Alabama, and Georgia.  What are your thoughts??

183578[/snapback]

From what I have seen so far, this now experienced AU team (with a greatly smarter QB and some very good running backs) would handle GT pretty well. I have seen nothing from UG to impress and by the time we play them they could easily have 2 losses, if not more. And UA would have to play a perfect game to beat us at Auburn. I think only LSU will be favored to beat us this year, and the UG game may considered even since it is in Athens. We certainly have the talent and coaching to finish 9-2...

right now, its not fair to say AU is an average team. They, like Bama, havent beaten enough teams to say they are great or not so great.

I will argue that Ball St and Miss St are terrible teams...not average.

But USC is better than those, so if you guys really lean on them next week, it will be a better barometer for where you stand.

But I think it will be a bit of an unkown till you guys play LSU. The road trip to arkansas wont be easy, but it wont be a true test.

Luckily for bama, we will be able to know more of what we are made of next week.

I just wish it was on the road. We play poorly at home.

Aubie123, I think you are about right on the money with your assessment. We are a work in progress and what we do in upcoming games remains uncertain for sure. All in all, I am satisfied with Coach TT's performance as well as the other coaches, but I am mystified as to why we come out of the gate so slow each and every year! Georgia Tech had the same amount of time to prepare for us as we did for them and yet, we seemed totally confused by their misdirections (we never seem to do well against this) as well as their stunts, slants and blitzes.

If the coaches continue to press hard, I think we could be an outstanding team by mid-year. I just hope we survive the "borderline" games like USC and Arky until we reach out peak. I believe Irons and Lester and coming on and Trey is reliable although not a world beater. I think Slaughter is already a winner but Stewart is a mystery. Our O line has to continue to get better, smarter and meaner each week. Cox will be ok if he can stay healthy. Our WR's are good enough to carry us until the younger ones can grow up and playing a lot of people has to help them.

Our D has been a disappointment although a new DC can cause that. I'm not at all sure that Gibbs can fill Chizk's shoes and demand the same respect and confidence from the players that he did. They have no swagger anymore. Tha said, yes, Bammer, Georgia and LSU could beat us........I hope not! WDE! :au:

Archived