Scout or Rivals?

HomanAU

Im kinda thinking about getting a memership to one i was just wandering if it was worth the $$$ and which site is better.

Thoughts?

I dont have a membership at either site, but I prefer Rivals to Scout. They seem to put up more articles at a faster rate, and I just find their site layout and rankings to be better.

I've thought about this and weighed the two myself. I get the sense that Rivals tries to put a lot of its information out as quickly as possible simply to have it out first. It tends to use somewhat misleading headlines and captions from time to time almost in an effort grab people's attention. It may also use those headlines for political/recruiting purposes (i.e. to portray the image its writers/editors want). In that sense, I appreciate Scout's objectivity a bit more.

Both sites' writing style and grammar could use a good deal of work, although I'd give the edge to Rivals there. The substance of the material tends to be pretty good on both, again with a slight edge to Rivals.

Where I think you'll find the greatest difference is in the scope of Scout's coverage. Rivals only covers basketball and football recruiting and prep school statuses. Conversely, Scout covers large and small colleges alike. It also covers the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. It offers the same prep school coverage that Rivals features in addition to Juco, McDonald's All-American and Army All-American coverage. Basically, it just has a whole lot more.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend Scout over Rivals. It may not have the speed of delivery that Rivals has, but it's pretty darn close. While it's writing is not as good, it's more objective and covers more.

Hope that helps!

Archived