Conference Champ Obsurdity

aucanucktiger

So the ACC finally decided the SEC has been on to something for the last 13 years and now they too jumped on the conf. championships bandwagon. Unfortunately the Big 12 and ACC seem to think they're top to bottom strong like the SEC and so they copied the "best of one conference half vs. the best of the other half" scenario for their championship games. Problem is, every year (by year end) it's clear no conference has the SEC's parity. The Big 12 and ACC have teams like Colorado and FSU "winning" (more like sucking the least) in their half of the conference and getting to the championship game simply because their conferences copied the SEC model. If these other conferences were smart they'd keep their money making championship games, but they would be between the top 2 teams...without reference to some arbitray geographic division of the conferences. Incidentally, if the SEC used that model we'd be playing LSU tonight (and doesn't every Tiger on this board wish Jamarcus Russell played against us the way he's playing tonight).

So the ACC finally decided the SEC has been on to something for the last 13 years and now they too jumped on the conf. championships bandwagon. Unfortunately the Big 12 and ACC seem to think they're top to bottom strong like the SEC and so they copied the "best of one conference half vs. the best of the other half" scenario for their championship games. Problem is, every year (by year end) it's clear no conference has the SEC's parity. The Big 12 and ACC have teams like Colorado and FSU "winning" (more like sucking the least) in their half of the conference and getting to the championship game simply because their conferences copied the SEC model. If these other conferences were smart they'd keep their money making championship games, but they would be between the top 2 teams...without reference to some arbitray geographic division of the conferences. Incidentally, if the SEC used that model we'd be playing LSU tonight (and doesn't every Tiger on this board wish Jamarcus Russell played against us the way he's playing tonight).

203204[/snapback]

No. The strength of a conference is going to shift over time. There's no way to predict when teams like Nebraska or Tenn will go into free-fall mode. Texas is just so much better than the rest of the Big XXII, and it's all because of the talent they recruit. The other teams need to recruit better to compete. Conferences like the ACC & SEC just have teams that recruit better as a whole. That's why the parity is there and that's why higher ranked teams got knocked off in the championship games.

I really like the championship format that the SEC has. Nothing is given to you just because you have the better won/loss record. The better team has to prove it on the field. This is a precursor to a true playoff, you know. The minute we go to a Div 1-A playoff, we will see some highly ranked undefeated team get upset in the 1st round. And I'm OK with that because it might stop the media from crowning their favorite as the "greatest team in cfb history" (see OU in 2003 before KSU punked them by 4 tds in the Big XII CCG that year.)

Excellent, excellent points guys. The better team still has to prove they are the best, regardless of the record. And Colorado should be punished with a 10 year ban on the Big12 championship because they flat out suck.

But just for comedy, check out a buckeye fan's point of view of conference championship games. :big:

I feel totally bad for all the LSU fans out there, this was a season to remember and the SECCG will make the season be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

I really don't understand the need for Conference Championship Games when one of the teams in the Championship Game has clearly dominated their conference a lot more than the other team.

LSU finished the season with only 1 SEC loss, while Georgia finished the season with 2 SEC losses. Clearly LSU was the better team in the SEC this year, so why play a Conference Championship Game?

Then there was the Big 12 Championship Game today where Colorado with 3 Big 12 losses, including 1 to Texas already this season, had a chance to upset the Longhorns (who have not lost to a Big 12 team this season) and win the Big 12.

I can see the need for conferences to have championship games when there are 2 teams that have a legitamite claim to the conference championship, but otherwise the chamionshis game is just a trap door for the higher ranked team.

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=33654

203204[/snapback]

No. The strength of a conference is going to shift over time. There's no way to predict when teams like Nebraska or Tenn will go into free-fall mode. Texas is just so much better than the rest of the Big XXII, and it's all because of the talent they recruit. The other teams need to recruit better to compete. Conferences like the ACC & SEC just have teams that recruit better as a whole. That's why the parity is there and that's why higher ranked teams got knocked off in the championship games.

I really like the championship format that the SEC has. Nothing is given to you just because you have the better won/loss record. The better team has to prove it on the field. This is a precursor to a true playoff, you know. The minute we go to a Div 1-A playoff, we will see some highly ranked undefeated team get upset in the 1st round. And I'm OK with that because it might stop the media from crowning their favorite as the "greatest team in cfb history" (see OU in 2003 before KSU punked them by 4 tds in the Big XII CCG that year.)

203281[/snapback]

I’m a fan of the conference championship game and its current format as well. Like Auloggerhead said you never know how the balance of power will shift over time. As I recall LSU were experiencing some pretty lean times in 1992 and look at them now. I think if anything it shows the need for a playoff system in college football. There have been several cases where the team with the better record has lost. Such as :uf: over :ua: in 94, Texas over Nebraska in 1996, Texas A&M over K State in 1998, :lsu: over :ut: in 2001, and others. Maybe the conference championship games will be a precursor to a playoff system but I doubt it will be anytime soon. I commend the ACC for their decision to have a championship game. I hope the Big 10 and PAC 10 will follow suite as well. I also think something needs to be done about the free pass Notre Dame receives. I read on another board where they were saying Auburn didn’t deserve an at large bid because they didn’t win their conference. They were saying it should be Notre Dame and Ohio St. (because they were Big 10 co-champs.) I think if all the major BCS conferences would institute a championship game a playoff system could be a possibility in the future.

Notre Dame doesn't play in a conference...therefore, they should be penalized for NOT HAVING TO WIN THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP! Instead, they are rewarded for just being Notre Dame...RIDICULOUS!!! :moon:

:au::homer:

While watchign college gameday final last night, they were talking baout the Texas/Colorado game and talked aboutthe fact it was obvious fomr the beginning Colorado did not show up to play football. They were relatively furious about the fact that Colorado wasn't trying form the first kickoff. At least as furious as sports casters can be on camera.

Archived