Thoughts on our West Coast Offense

StatTiger

Let me start off and say that I’m a Husker fan when I’m not bleeding orange and blue. My father was born and raised in Nebraska and I actually was introduced to Cornhusker football at a very young age before my older brother went to Auburn during the Mid 70’s.

Watching the Nebraska-Michigan game tonight, I realized just how great of an offensive coach, Al Borges truly is. Bill Callahan runs his version of the West Coast offense at NU but his play selection and schemes are nowhere close to Al Borges. Last season, it was obvious that Callahan was forcing his players to fit into his system and Borges was adjusting his system to help our players. Common sense will tell you that NU has some talent and depth issues but watching their ballgame tonight made me really appreciate what we have in Al Borges.

1) Nebraska has struggled running the ball all year. Tonight, Callahan attempted to stretch the Michigan defense and attack with the inside run, which failed for the most part. Borges uses motion and misdirection to run the ball. In the 2nd half, Callahan started to run out of the “bunch” set, which we have thrived on for two years now and Nebraska put together a great drive to start the 2nd half ( running the ball ). After the drive stalled and resulted in a FG, Callahan dumped the running game and went back to the pass. This was a huge mistake as Michigan built an 11 pt lead before Callahan went back to the run, resulting in a TD.

2) Zach Taylor ( NU QB ) was getting hit often yet Callahan failed to roll him out or to go to max protection like Borges often does.

3) Once NU found success with their running game, Callahan never called any naked-boots or play-action as Borges does. Most of the Husker passing came from the shotgun formation, which made it easier for Michigan to defend. Once NU went shotgun, it was ALWAYS a pass play. Borges primarily keeps his QB under center, forcing the defense to play the run and the pass.

4) Everything Borges does is built on the play before or a series of plays during a prior possession. The end around play is a prime example of how Borges builds a series of plays off of one set. We have the receiver running the end around. We have the fake to the receiver, which freezes the defense and allows a bigger lane for the runningback to take. The receiver has thrown the ball from the end around play and we have executed a flea-flicker from the same play. Just by sending that one receiver in motion, the entire defense has to play honest until they determine just who will actually touch the ball. I saw none of this out of Callahan tonight. Speaking of the end around play, I got the feeling we will see a fake to the receiver and back and pass back to the receiver in motion as he clears into the flat.

5) Cory Ross ( NU runningback ) has posted a 1000-yard season before yet Callahan has failed to build his passing game around it as Borges has with Brown, Williams and now, Irons. Borges admitted that he’d love to throw the ball all over the place but he knows the importance of a balanced attack.

I know Nebraska won tonight but my point is that Borges’ version of the West Coast offense is far more effective than Callahan’s version. The offense was designed to take advantage of ALL of the skilled players on the field. The focus is to create a mismatch somewhere on the field and to exploit it. The majority of NU’s passes were directed to the WR’s. Borges has spread the ball around to the backs and TE’s over the past two seasons. He simplified his offense so that our players could become comfortable and confident, which is why we didn’t miss a beat on offense despite replacing our starting backfield this year. There is a calm flow to his offense and our QB’s are rarely in a position to “have to” win the game. Once again, I realize NU doesn’t possess the overall talent at the offensive skilled positions compared to Auburn but Callahan’s offense lacked variety, IMO. Prior tonight, I knew Borges was a great hire but watching NU’s West Coast offense really made me appreciate Borges even more. I have no doubt Al could do more with NU’s Jimmy & Joes than Callahan.

War Eagle!

:au::football::cheer:

I honestly believe that more than anything else, Borges success is due to his ability as a play caller. As you alluded to, with Callahan not "getting it" sometimes, and not taking advantage of some opportunities, or talking about the end around, I think that Borges is great because of his ability to call the perfect play, and to set up that perfect play. I may be wrong, but thinking back to that first drive of the UGA game, he didn't do anything special formation or system wise, but just with the timing of his play calls...UGA never knew which way to turn. I think Borges could coach a wish bone team and be more succesful than most coordinators would be running Borges' system. I do love the way he uses motion though, especially the way he often completely changes formations before the play. Just my two cents.

:nanner::au::nanner:

All of your observations are right on target, as usual. One more thing to consider is that Al's offense is very flexible. By that, I mean that on any given play, the receivers also have variations on the routes that they run depending on what defense is called and how an individual defender may be playing against them.

I bought Al's book off Amazon recently and have been trying to read and understand it. I will tell you this much ... it is incredibly complicated and any quarterback who runs it has to be practically a genius. When my brain starts to hurt, I usually put down Al's book and pick up something relatively light and sraightforward like particle physics.

The strange thing is that I have noticed how remarkably similar Al's offense and the particle physics are, at least on paper.

Honestly, it reflects so well on not only Cox, but our receivers also that they have done so well with this system. Not only are they gifted athletes, but these kids have some serious brains inside those helmets.

War Damn Eagle! Beat the Badgers!

One thing that I think I have noticed over the last couple of years is that our adjustments at halftime seem to be better all the way around. It seems to me that before last year we had real problems adjusting to defenses during halftime. I don't know if this is really the case or just my perception of it. Either way and for whatever reason it looks like a different team after halftime in regards to the mismatches that we play upon.

I'll be the first to say, the overall coaching at AU has improved over the past few years. I have noticed what flush is referring to. I mainly started noticing last year our adjustments, not necessarily just at halftime either, improved. Maybe it was the debacle of the 2003 that turned things around for the players and the coaches.

CAB has proved to be a fantastic play caller. His biggest strength in my eyes is his ability to work his system around the talent he has to put on the field. As has been said he sets up future plays with what he is running now. Like the misdirection plays in the Iron Bowl this year. How he used those to set up other plays keeping the D off balance.

One thing that I think I have noticed over the last couple of years is that our adjustments at halftime seem to be better all the way around.  It seems to me that before last year we had real problems adjusting to defenses during halftime.  I don't know if this is really the case or just my perception of it.  Either way and for whatever reason it looks like a different team after halftime in regards to the mismatches that we play upon.

207438[/snapback]

Under Mazzone and Nall Auburn was 3-18 when trailing at the half.

Under Petrino, we were 2-2.

Under Borges, 3-2.

i watched the game last nite and Nebraska's offense looked totally inept when they were in shotgun. that QB, lord bless him, got tattooed so many times back there. when the ends were keying on him in the gun, he was dead. the running game really opened it up for them in the 2nd half. i was wondering what the heck was Callahan's problem when they abandoned the run for the shotgun again, which didn't last too long when he finally realized it wasn't going to work. it was an exciting game. the best bowl i've seen so far.

In fairness to Nebraska your talking about a team that has been recruited for a option run attack from the line to the wide recievers every single year but one. Auburn hasn't.

Part of the reason the running game was going out of the bunch sets was that more of the blocker wideouts were in the game. I do agree it was weird that he didn't stick with that more, since it was working so well.

They don't have the playmakers at wideout yet (most are blockers) and the offensive line isn't agile or quick which hurts them in passing situations. Tight ends, built on blocking.

Callahan has alot less to work with in regards to a west coast system than Al Borges does.

I'm not saying he is better than Al. I love Al and hope he is here for a long time. I just don't think that Callahan is as bad a coach as ya'll think he is. He has a talent/personel problem in regards to his system at Nebraska.

All you have to do is compare last year two-running-back/seasoned-QB offense to this year's one-running-back/inexperienced-QB offense to recognize that CAB is a genius at adopting his game plan to the weapons available. It'll be interesting to see what changes he makes next year with three of our 1000-yd receivers and two of the best tackles in college football leaving.

Who was it that recommended CAB to Tommy Tuberville? Have we ever thanked him or her properly?

All you have to do is compare last year two-running-back/seasoned-QB offense to this year's one-running-back/inexperienced-QB offense to recognize that CAB is a genius at adopting his game plan to the weapons available.  It'll be interesting to see what changes he makes next year with three of our 1000-yd receivers and two of the best tackles in college football leaving.

Who was it that recommended CAB to Tommy Tuberville?  Have we ever thanked him or her properly?

207629[/snapback]

We have Coach Yox to thank. Yoxall worked with Borges at UCLA. He suggested that Tubs interview him after the "Nallsminger" debacle.

Just wish he had spoken up more when Petrino left.

Thanks, Kevin!

Archived