Understatement of the year

AWK

The final A.P. poll is out, and I can't say I'm shocked by something I see.

I have no beef with the Top 8. It looks dang good. Check it out:

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Penn State

4. Ohio State

5. West Virginia

6. LSU

7. Virginia Tech

8. Alabama

Here's where I have a problem: Notre Dame is No. 9. That, my friends, is what I call a joke. And a bad one, at that.

Why is 9-3 ND ahead of TCU, which is No. 11? Aside from not being named "Notre Dame," TCU was a better team. The Horned Frogs finished 11-1. And, unlike ND, TCU has a win over a team in the final AP poll: No. 22 Oklahoma.

And why is ND ranked ahead of No. 10 Georgia? For gosh sakes, the 10-3 Bulldogs won the SEC! The Bulldogs beat LSU, South Carolina, Boise State and Georgia Tech.

Can any face-painting ND fan look me in the face and honestly say the Irish should be ranked ahead of the Horned Frogs and Dawgs?

Aside from being named "Notre Dame," having a contract with NBC and generally being a 10,000-pound gorilla, what are the Irish's 2005 credentials that merit such a high ranking?

I'm waiting to be knocked off my seat. This should be good.

lol

Wow, he nailed it on the head

I agree. This comes down to name recognition and nothing more. The media wants soooo badly for the ND's, Bama's and Penn States of the world to be back on top. Can anyone figure out the incredible play that Weiss got as the next great coach in Notre Dame folklore? Didn't his predecessor have a better record in his first year?

Hmmmmm...have I mentioned today that I HATE NOTRE (Children of the) DAMNED!!!!???

:au::homer:

I agree.  This comes down to name recognition  and nothing more.  The media wants soooo badly for the ND's, Bama's and Penn States of the world to be back on top.  Can anyone figure out the incredible play that Weiss got as the next great coach in Notre Dame folklore?  Didn't his predecessor have a better record in his first year?

210044[/snapback]

Yes he did, but Weiss had that great signature win over US...no, lost that one, um er Ohio St...no, lost that one too. Oh yeah, they had a great win against Stanford.

:moon: to ESPN, :moon: s all around...

I kinda' like the Fighting Irish. Any team that uaters HATE soooo much can't be all bad. :D

Archived