Satelite Radio

War Eagle 96

Yeah...my brother has Serius, and he loves it.

:au::homer:

I've had Sirius for several months now, the main reason I got it was because of the Auburn football coverage. Where I live you can forget getting the AU network over the radio. I highly reccomend Sirius.

Guest Tigrinum Major
i've also found Sirius to be awesome. you can even listen to it streaming online.

222125[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken, you can't listen to all stations, just the music channels.

I have Sirius and it is great. Never a dull moment.

Laugh Break 105 always gets me in a good mood in the afternoons.

The SEC broadcasts are also good. You usually pick up the home broadcast unless they are playing at a school without a Sirius contract.

My father has sirius, pretty good stuff. He has it set up where it notifies him when an Auburn broadcast is coming on which is pretty cool. I like the Jam band station on there. Nothing like it down in Dothan, here in Auburn we've got 99.9 FM though.

I will be the lone vote for XM sat radio. I really enjoy it. I listen to channel 202 with talk show hosts Opie and Anthony. They are really funny....I reccomend people give them a try for a week or so. And you will start to get their jokes. Also, XM is the MUCH stronger company. Sirius is giving Stern $500M and they simply don't have the money for R&D. XM is spending that money on R&D and is going to have much better hardware. Sirius doesn't have a REAL portable unit, XM does. XM is going to win this battle and will pull farther ahead soon.

Seriously, I recommend XM for Opie and Anthony, I have not listend to the music stations very much but my impression is that the bluegrass and country stations are very good and the "decade" stations are good. I give XM :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will be the lone vote for XM sat radio. I really enjoy it. I listen to channel 202 with talk show hosts Opie and Anthony. They are really funny....I reccomend people give them a try for a week or so. And you will start to get their jokes. Also, XM is the MUCH stronger company. Sirius is giving Stern $500M and they simply don't have the money for R&D. XM is spending that money on R&D and is going to have much better hardware. Sirius doesn't have a REAL portable unit, XM does. XM is going to win this battle and will pull farther ahead soon.

Seriously, I recommend XM for Opie and Anthony, I have not listend to the music stations very much but my impression is that the bluegrass and country stations are very good and the "decade" stations are good. I give XM  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

222173[/snapback]

The original question was which one carried SEC Football. That is Sirius. As for the Stern deal it is not anywhere near 500Mil. It is over 100 milion if they reach the subscription goal. I think Sirius has some realationship with Dish Network because they carry the Sirius music stations on the air.

Since you have a crystal ball telling the future what stocks does it say I should buy so I can get rich by next week? :poke:

Here is Sirius's comparison to XM. Keep in mind this is from the Sirius website.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1065475754125

I cannot get the Auburn Broadcasts on a strong station where I live so Sirius is great for me. If they go out of business I will have to change to XM but I doubt that will happen and Sirius is catching up to XM in subscriptions. Like him or not Howard Stern has got way over 1 million more subscribers added to Sirius. That will add over $142 million per year to Sirius.

Seriously, I recommend XM for Opie and Anthony, I have not listend to the music stations very much but my impression is that the bluegrass and country stations are very good and the "decade" stations are good. I give XM  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

222173[/snapback]

The original question was which one carried SEC Football. That is Sirius. As for the Stern deal it is not anywhere near 500Mil. It is over 100 milion if they reach the subscription goal. I think Sirius has some realationship with Dish Network because they carry the Sirius music stations on the air.

Since you have a crystal ball telling the future what stocks does it say I should buy so I can get rich by next week? :poke:

222180[/snapback]

I realize the original question was who carried SEC football and that is Sirius, but I was showing my reasons for liking XM a little extraneous but thats fine.

Stern's deal IS at $500M Link to ABC news or $100M a year over 5 years. Moving onto the next part of my statement, seeing as how media right now is largely a hardware innovation battle and the company with the most innovative hardware gets the big bucks

(iPod and their color screen for watching movies. PSPs and their ability to play games/movies/mp3s on a 6 hour battery) Those all cost a lot of money in R&D and if Sirius is spending $100M a year on Stern they couldn't possibly have as much as XM does for R&D.

What exactly did I say that was predicting the future? XM has more subscribers and isn't throwing their money at old hasbeen shock jocks. They are putting it towards development of hardware. Currently XM's hardware is MUCH smaller than sirius. Also, XM has a true portable unit which can recieve live streaming satalite radio feeds. Sirius' portable unit is merely an MP3 player that you can download Sirius content to.

My statement doesn't seem like i'm making an outlandish prediction of the future but rather a well thought out reason as to why I think XM will always be the top rate company and Sirius will just be that "little doggie company"

Any questions?

From XM's Site

XM reported an EBITDA loss of ($199.4) million for the fourth quarter of 2005, including $25.3 million in de-leveraging charges, compared to an EBITDA loss of ($139.7) million for the fourth quarter of 2004, which included $41.6 million in de-leveraging charges. The full year EBITDA loss was ($434.3) million,

from Sirius's site

SIRIUS reported a net loss of ($311.4) million, or ($0.23) per share, for the fourth quarter of 2005, and a net loss of ($863.0) million, or ($0.65) per share, for the full-year.

Both are losing tons of money so they both may go out of business. As for portable units for Sirius

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/2005/01/...portable_s.html

Here is one with Video(Sirius will offer video soon)

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/sirius-v...or-mid2006.html

If you like XM that is fine but don't knock Sirius just because you like XM. They are both fine products but I like Sirius because of the sports content.

When you get down to it they both have very similar programing as far as music, news and talk radio. IMHO where they differ is the sports content,

Chose XM if you like ACC sports MLB and Nascar

Chose Sirius if you like SEC sports NHL, NBA and NFL

In the future they may both offer NFL, NASCAR & MLB so the choice may be moot at that time.

Why are all the XM subscribers saying Sirius is going out of business when they both are a long way from blackink?

Niether of the Sirius units have been released yet!!

I agree that both sides are losing money, but in the future it will be satalite radio (much like cable caught on). Really I just wanted to plug O&A XM 202, spead the virus. :D.

I enjoy XM, but didn't have much choice in shopping for satellite radio...my Honda came bundled with XM as part of the options I added to it (the Accord and it's Acura counterpart run everything through a computer screen when you opt for the navigation system, including XM)...so it was XM or nothing! Anyway, I'm not going to sit in my car to listen to AU play Arkansas State for 3.5 hours, so the Sirius advantage in having SEC football is of no real value to me...I'd rather hit the Ice House down the street and watch the game via GamePlan...or watch it with the alumni group here in town.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Anyway, I'm not going to sit in my car to listen to AU play Arkansas State for 3.5 hours, so the Sirius advantage in having SEC football is of no real value to me...

222232[/snapback]

You can also purchase a Home Kit that allows you to put your receiver inside and play it through your home stereo or radio.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit in my car to listen to AU play Arkansas State for 3.5 hours, so the Sirius advantage in having SEC football is of no real value to me...

222232[/snapback]

You can also purchase a Home Kit that allows you to put your receiver inside and play it through your home stereo or radio.

222250[/snapback]

XM doesn't have the AU games...I'm certainly not subscribing to both and don't have an option other than XM.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I bought Sirius about a month ago and I love it. I got the starmate unit that has GREAT memory functions. ANd the programming is excellent.

222254[/snapback]

I assume you got the Starmate Replay and not that standard Starmate. The standard model doesn't havethe memory functions that the Replay does.

I have XM and listen to it for O&A in the morning and the America Right channel during the day. They also carry Paul Finebaum from 5 to 6 and I usually listen to that on my way home. I'm fine with not getting SEC football on XM. It irked me at first but with the slew of ESPN channels on my cable package I usually don't have a problem picking up their games where I'm at. And if it happens to not be televised where I'm at ESPN usually replays the games during the week after. So I'm content with that.

Besides, my nerves usually can't handle Auburn football live so I end up catching the game after the fact...but only if they win. A loss just pisses me off and then the rest of my week is crappy.

I have XM and listen to it for O&A in the morning and the America Right channel during the day. They also carry Paul Finebaum from 5 to 6 and I usually listen to that on my way home. I'm fine with not getting SEC football on XM. It irked me at first but with the slew of ESPN channels on my cable package I usually don't have a problem picking up their games where I'm at. And if it happens to not be televised where I'm at ESPN usually replays the games during the week after. So I'm content with that.

Besides, my nerves usually can't handle Auburn football live so I end up catching the game after the fact...but only if they win. A loss just pisses me off and then the rest of my week is crappy.

222258[/snapback]

Paul Finebaum is on XM? That would be a reason not to buy XM. ;)

I usually don't listen to the games on my Sirius but if it is not on TV and the local station is on the fritz(usually is) then I can go shopping with the wife and listen while in the car for updates. It makes a great reason to wait in the car while she spends hours trying on cothes.

If you travel to and from the game you can listen to the other SEC games while driving or tailgating. If you live outside the state of Alabama it gets pretty hard to listen to the non televised games so Sirius is a must if you love to cringe. pray, cross your fingers and stick pins in voodoo dolls of the opposing coach during the game.

Captin just think with your karma Duvall might have been more accurate on a few games. LOL

Ive had XM for a while and i love it. For all of u who have sirius for the SEC you need to look into the fact that their contract is soon to be up and XM is pushing a lot of money at the SEC to pick it up which would be great for me,..... the best college football and best show on radio, O & A, Spread the Virus.

WDE

Archived