Bobby Gaston retiring

quietfan

I'm kind of surprized no one has posted/commented on this yet:

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_...hange_well_id=2

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Bobby Gaston, whose tenure in the Southeastern Conference as a football official and coordinator has spanned 50 years, has announced his retirement as the league's coordinator of football officials.

Gaston has served as the SEC Coordinator of Football Officials since 1988. During the last several years, Gaston played a key role in the development of instant replay for SEC football games. Also during his tenure as coordinator, he instituted various training programs, official's clinics and pioneered the use of video training tapes sent out each week during the season.

"Bobby has served this league with distinction for 50 years," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "On the field, he was one of the best officials we have had and as a coordinator, he has set in place a program that allows our officials to be the best in the country."

Prior to his appointment as the league's coordinator, Gaston worked on the field for 25 years in the SEC, and was ranked the top head linesman in the league for 16 of those seasons. From 1957-81, he worked as a head linesman for 18 bowl games and numerous all-star games. Following his on-field retirement, he became an SEC Observer until his appointment to coordinator.

"Bobby's stamp on college football, not only in the SEC, but around the nation will be felt for many years to come," added Slive. "His love for this conference, the game of football and for the student-athletes who play it, is far-reaching. We expect that Bobby will continue to be active in officiating and college football, putting to good use his half-century of experience."

Gaston has also played a key role in developing on-field policies and rules in college football such as sportsmanship, illegal contact, intentional grounding and substitution rules. He also led the drive for the referee to announce penalty information in the stadium during the game.

Well there goes one more excuse for the criminal nation. Guess they will be down to schollarship limitations and Phil Fulmer.

Well there goes one more excuse for the criminal nation.  Guess they will be down to schollarship limitations and Phil Fulmer.

231316[/snapback]

Actually, aren't scholarship limits over? (At least 'til "next time") Although I keep reading where they can only sign 17 next spring because they've hit the 85 max ceiling.

There does seem to be a lot of jubilation on Bama sites over Gaston's leaving, though.

Lets take a que from the bammers and start a thread to list games that were lost either to one bad call or bad officiating in general.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Lets take a que from the bammers ...

231333[/snapback]

I know you are new and all, but...

STOP this type of thinking and behavior. Now. Last warning.

Lets take a que from the bammers and start a thread to list games that were lost either to one bad call or bad officiating in general.

231333[/snapback]

Rookies! :big:

231333[/snapback]

Rookies! :big:

231515[/snapback]

Yeah take a look see how many views and posts the "rooks" thread got.

The Tigers can claim to have lost swallowed some bitter ones and alot of followers can agree.

Guest Tigrinum Major

231625[/snapback]

Congrats. Your parents must be proud.

(Please forgive me if I seem bitter and rude. I often offend people who haven't been around very long. I am really just a sarcastic smartass. Keep those interesting threads coming.)

(Newbie.)

231625[/snapback]

Congrats. Your parents must be proud.

(Please forgive me if I seem bitter and rude. I often offend people who haven't been around very long. I am really just a sarcastic smartass. Keep those interesting threads coming.)

(Newbie.)

231638[/snapback]

I owe it all to the best edumacation money can buy.

My parents are very proud.

Oh wait a second, my parents didn’t pay for my college; my Uncle Sam & Uncle “Bill” G.I. Montgomery did. So, should I be proud of myself.

The Army is good at producing ‘saracatic smartasses’ that come across bitter and rude.

Well, this ‘newbie’ has seen a lot of Auburn football. I am just happy to have found a place to share my love of the ole ball team (and secondly, hate of all things red) with other like minded folks.

War D Eagle.

Guest Tigrinum Major
MOS?

231716[/snapback]

11B + C4 = 12B

The infantry's biatch

231739[/snapback]

I was a 12B (really 21B) platoon leader way back when in the 588th Engineer Battalion at Fort Polk, LA. They have since moved to Fort Hood and reflagged. I have since joined the reserves and been in combat heavy units or staffs ever since. I miss the days of riding in APCs and bangalores.

50 pound rucksacks ain't for me!

I don't wanna be no infantry!

Cocking cannon ain't for me!

I don't wanna be field artillery!

Blowing up aMm, now that's for me!

I wanna be a big 12B!

Riding in APCs?Whats an APC?

65 EN BN (L)

Travel Light and freeze at night

Yes, I often miss the 12B days of pounding pickets and playing with wire in the dark. Good times.

Archived