Guillon discusses leaving Tide

quietfan

Kind of a distraction on a Sunday best spent discussing Saturday's games, but I just ran across this:

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20061012...S/61012010/1016

TUSCALOOSA | Breaking his silence two days after quitting the University of Alabama football team, quarterback Marc Guillon e-mailed a statement to state newspapers Thursday afternoon.

“First and foremost I specifically want my teammates to know that I am very sorry for leaving,” Guillon wrote. “I am still behind them and I do not want this situation to affect their focus and preparation.

“I thought long and very hard about the circumstances of the situation which put me at a breaking point. This crossroad forced me to make a tough decision in the interest of self-preservation based on numerous false impressions the coaches gave me.

“Lastly, I want to express a great deal of gratitude towards all ‘Bama fans. I truly appreciate all the tireless support they give, and am confident in saying they are the best fans in college football.”

Guillon quit the Crimson Tide on Tuesday, and coach Mike Shula said after practice that day that the decision came down to “basically was a playing-time issue.”

For his career, Guillon, a senior who transferred from Miami in 2003, played in 10 games, completing 25 of 51 passes for 259 yards, with two touchdowns and three interceptions.

His longest pass was 39 yards, which he did twice. Once was for the Hurricanes against Florida A&M, the other a completion to Ezekial Knight during the 2004 season.

Guillon played two games at Miami and was 3-for-5 for 53 yards and a touchdown before sustaining a season-ending shoulder injury.

After redshirting at UA in 2003, he took over when a knee injury against Western Carolina ended Brodie Croyle’s season. Guillon completed 5 of 7 passes for 71 yards and one touchdown against the Catamounts, but his two subsequent starts were losses.

He was 6-of-18 for 57 yards and one interception against Arkansas, and 9-of-18 for 63 yards and two interceptions against South Carolina, when he also sustained a lower back injury. Spencer Pennington finished the season before leaving the team to concentrate on his baseball career.

Guillon never reclaimed the starting job and saw mop-up duty last season against South Carolina, Florida and Utah State. This season, he took 15 snaps — 13 against Louisiana-Monroe and two last Saturday against Duke — and completed both of his pass attempts for 15 yards.

"...based on numerous false impressions the coaches gave me."--Think that statement will make some recruits think twice?

yep. just like when he left miami. it was the coaches fault he wasnt good enough to be the starter...blah blah blah.

Actually, I pretty much agree with your evaluation of Guillon's talent/character/drive or whatever, BG. His life as a "transient" QB leaves open a lot of questions about his "stick-to-it"-ness.

But his comments do leave the Bama coaching staff open to attack on the recruiting circuit--whether it is deserved or not. Accurate or not, his words certainly can't help you.

Too politically correct. What's his major -- Politcal Science? I respect him even less now for not fully speaking his mind. Tell us what the coaches said to you to make you want to quit over "self-preservation" issues. :thumbsdown:

Archived