Who should should be #4 in the BCS?

cehuff21

Come on guys stop the bickering. As confusing as the BCS system is I took it upon myself to really look into and learn just a little bit more about it. West Virginia did not jump Auburn because a win over UConn and Auburn only playing Tulane. The difference came in the computer rankings. West Virginia is ranked 4 in both the Harris and USA today polls, but only 14 in the computer poll. Their ranking did not change from week 8 to week 9. They still are 4,4,14 in the 3 polls. Auburn however was ranked 7 in both the Harris and the USA today poll and 5 in the computer poll. The change came in week 9 where Auburn fell to 6 in the computer being jumped by Cal who moved into the 5th spot in the computer polls. Where West Virginia held their 4,4,14 ranking Auburn went from 7,7,5 to 7,7,6 and lost it slim week 8 lead over West Virginia. Expect to see West Virginia and Auburn flip flop in the following weeks maybe more than once, because it is not all on who did better Auburn or West Virginia. If Cal has a bad game or plays a week opponent Auburn could again improve their computer ranking and if WV remains the same in the rankings Auburn would jump them back. Any loss of the 5 and 6 team also would help Auburn in that West Virginia would gain nothing from a Texas or Louisville loss and Auburn would advance their Harris and/or USA today ranking only stretching any future lead it would have over West Virginia.

I hope this helped a little on this WV and AU mess. Anything can happen because the BCS is crazy and it takes into account all the teams in your schedule and that can affect your ranking. Even if you had an impressive win you could see yourself dropping in the polls. See Notre Dame ;) Anyways only time will tell and honestly I think Herbstreit was correct in saying that a 1 loss SEC team whether it be Florida or Auburn would make it to the National Championship before an undefeated Big East team would go. After all take a look at West Virginia's schedula if you add up the combined record of ALL of their opponents as of right now they are under .500 where Auburn and Florida are well over .500

Come on guys stop the bickering. As confusing as the BCS system is I took it upon myself to really look into and learn just a little bit more about it. West Virginia did not jump Auburn because a win over UConn and Auburn only playing Tulane. The difference came in the computer rankings. West Virginia is ranked 4 in both the Harris and USA today polls, but only 14 in the computer poll. Their ranking did not change from week 8 to week 9. They still are 4,4,14 in the 3 polls. Auburn however was ranked 7 in both the Harris and the USA today poll and 5 in the computer poll. The change came in week 9 where Auburn fell to 6 in the computer being jumped by Cal who moved into the 5th spot in the computer polls. Where West Virginia held their 4,4,14 ranking Auburn went from 7,7,5 to 7,7,6 and lost it slim week 8 lead over West Virginia. Expect to see West Virginia and Auburn flip flop in the following weeks maybe more than once, because it is not all on who did better Auburn or West Virginia. If Cal has a bad game or plays a week opponent Auburn could again improve their computer ranking and if WV remains the same in the rankings Auburn would jump them back. Any loss of the 5 and 6 team also would help Auburn in that West Virginia would gain nothing from a Texas or Louisville loss and Auburn would advance their Harris and/or USA today ranking only stretching any future lead it would have over West Virginia.

I hope this helped a little on this WV and AU mess. Anything can happen because the BCS is crazy and it takes into account all the teams in your schedule and that can affect your ranking. Even if you had an impressive win you could see yourself dropping in the polls. See Notre Dame ;) Anyways only time will tell and honestly I think Herbstreit was correct in saying that a 1 loss SEC team whether it be Florida or Auburn would make it to the National Championship before an undefeated Big East team would go. After all take a look at West Virginia's schedula if you add up the combined record of ALL of their opponents as of right now they are under .500 where Auburn and Florida are well over .500

Uhhhhh...very nice...but point of order here.... This still begs the same question...why did AU drop in the computer poll while thrashing Tulane...and WVA hold their rankings while beating a BASKETBALL SCHOOL???!!! Nothing changed my mind...anyone else want to weigh in???

:au::homer:

This is because we held a slim 5th place lead over Cal who was in 6th. And with Cal having a win over a somewhat decent team was enough to replace us in the the computer poll but not in the human polls. With our slim margin over West Virginia when we dropped in the computer pool too it was enough to bump them up because WV's 4th place ranking in the both the human polls has a solid hold (they are not in threat of being passed right now). And as for Cal and Auburn I expect they will be flip flopping a lot in the computer poll which will affect Auburn being 4th or 5th. If Cal loses a game expect Auburn to move back into 4th. But at the same time when the Ohio St/Michigan and USC/Cal games are played out I expect Auburn will probably be 2nd in the BCS (providing Auburn does it part by winning out... but that's just an amateur's projection, I could stand corrected.) Let's hope I'm right.

Also you should remember the ranking that you are talking about (West Virginia's computer ranking) is not that hard to hold on to. They are in 14th which means the teams looking up at neers in the computer polls are the likes of (in order) Boston College, Wisconsin and Missouri. I think holding a lead on Cal after playing a soft team is a little tougher than these three teams even if it is a basketball school. Does this help a little?

Bs-Chump-Sh**ake- Ever since the 04 season I have been begging for a school that the media loves to get skrewed like we did. A playoff may or may not be the best way to solve this but even the old system was better!!!!! But on this topic we will continue to lose ground due to the level of teams we are playing. WVU plays the softest schedule in the country other than USC but are undefeated. What we can do is win our games and let this rest we no matter what will not make the BCS game! Period the media will not let it happen.

My theory is that every week we get closer to the end of the season.. you get more points for having less losses. So West Virginia got more points this week than Auburn from the computers because they havn't lost. Come on guys.. Lets not forget that we lost to Arkansas by 17 points at home. Be happy.

Actually if you look at the points we gained in both the human polls and west virginia lost some points in the human poll... but since we fell behind cal that dropped our composite ranking lower us behind west virginia. West Virginia however losing some points did not lose enough to fall behind any other teams in the rankings so their composite ranking stayed the same. If we win out (even if we don't make it to the SEC Championship game) I believe we will receive an at large bid because we will be in around the top 5. And ya know what going in and spanking a team like Notre Dame would not be all that bad. Cuz I would love to show the media idiots what the SEC is all about and that these teams from other confuses are not all they are made out to be

First of all, I can care less about the BCS rankings. Let's win the SEC championship first and let the rest take care of themselves.

But to get into the technical argument of the BCS mathematics, you have to remember the computer rankings are very fluid week to week. Just because us and WV may have both played weak teams in the same week, it also depends on how our previous opponents fared during that week against either a stronger or weaker opponent themeselves. It is more then just about that weeks games, it is about every opponent you have played up to that week and how they did, and then how their opponents have fared against other opponents, and so on.

The problem with the computer rankings is that every team you beat has to beat every team they play for you to gain. Where it falls down is when you have a deep conference such as the SEC when the teams beat each other. Makes the entire conference look weak. A conference like the PAC 01 with just a very few quality teams actually looks stronger in the computers than they actually are.

Just how strong is the Big East? I don't know but right now Louisville and WVU are undefeated. Louisville's win over Miami is losing its luster and they only have WVU left.

There only two places in the BCS that count, one and two. After that the BCS Bowls go after their conference champions and ND.

Look guys, quit your whining.

We had a first class pantswetting against Arkansas on national television. We looked terrible in every facet of the game. As a consequence, we lost. It is up to us to regain the national respect we squandered.

As far as I'm concerned, being ranked #5 in the BCS is a first-class act of charity. Not an outrage.

Look guys, quit your whining.

We had a first class pantswetting against Arkansas on national television. We looked terrible in every facet of the game. As a consequence, we lost. It is up to us to regain the national respect we squandered.

As far as I'm concerned, being ranked #5 in the BCS is a first-class act of charity. Not an outrage.

I'm definitely on the same page as you.

notre dame should be number four cause they are closer to jesus......and the ncaa

Notre Dame could be #79 in the BCS and if they win 9 games, they are going to a BCS bowl. Which will be the case this year, as they play a cupcake schedule and will easily be 10-1 going into their beatdown @ USC.

So 5 BCS bowls = 9 teams that deserve to be there and 1 that doesn't. Go figure.

Now, back to topic... I think they should be ahead of us because we lost to Arkansas. Yes, we have played 1 more game, but the definite loss is more negative than a future loss would be.

It amazes me that WVU is ranked high at all. Their opponents all have losing records except for Maryland, which is 5-2 (due to impressive wins over Fla. Int., Mid Tenn., amd William & Mary).

WVU opponents records 20-32 (take away MD, that would be 15-30)

AU opponents records 33-26

Add in two wins over top ten teams....

I do not get the BCS.

Louisville will wipe the field with mountaineer carcass. Just a guess.

After watching the UGA game against WVU last year... I'm not too sure that Louisville is just going to wipe the floor with them.

After watching the UGA game against WVU last year... I'm not too sure that Louisville is just going to wipe the floor with them.

I'm with ya, but I have watched WVU play twice. Their D is not as good IMO as last year. They are 43rd in the nation in passing D, thus I think L'ville tears them a new one. The game against Rutgers will be interesting b/c Rutgers has a pretty tough run D. I think WVU gets beat by L'ville and possibly by Rutgers.

Archived