? about the ole miss field goal

damabama

somebody help me out with a rules question. the play before ole miss kicked their field goal, jay wilhite breaks up the pass in the right ( my right from where i was sitting ) corner of the end zone. but on the kick attempt, the refs place the ball in the center of the field. dead solid center. wasnt the ball supposed to be put at the right hash mark, since the last play ended outside that hash? not the center of the field like on any other play? maybe its a rule quirk. seemed a bit strange, e.g. home cooking, too me.

The ball would go where it was spotted before the incomplete pass. The placement of the ball is made by wherever the offense moved the ball on the field on that particular play. An incomplete pass results in no ball movement at all by the offense, so the spot goes back to where it was before the incomplete pass...it has nothing to do what side of the field the pass was thrown.

on an incomplete pass the spot goes to the same hash or spot where it was on the previous play. if it were a complete pass it would have moved, or if it were a run play.

Correct on the FG placement. The reffing in that game was total crap, but when slamming the zebras, remember that the ones that are controversial are almost certainly not going to get to ref the good rivalries or even be in the league next year...especially the SEC, which literally has a thousand applications waiting for one ref opening. In other words, they have STRONG incentive to do a good job and "home cooking" is not the explanation so much as is incompetence under (extreme) pressure. It takes years and many, many hours of pretty thankless work to get to the level those guys are @ & one big bad call frequently does in their career as a major college football ref. Not making excuses for them, the 5th down play in the 1991 Colorado vs. Missouri game is what GOT me into reffing, but just ask yourself if YOU could have thousands of rule-ignorant fans (see the comments after the LSU game) screaming @ you season after season. You have to be one dedicated and thick-skinned individual to pull it off. Problem is, they're not always also competent.

Archived