Atheists Symbol

oldman

Atheists in Philly want to put up a "tree of knowledge" at a Christmas display as their symbol. Below is a copy of my e-mail to Fox news.

Do atheists need a symbol? Since they don't believe in anything the only symbol that makes sense is ZERO.

The" Tree of Knowledge" is actually a Judeo-Christian reminder of the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil"

found in the book of Genesis.Their tree of knowledge with its book covers represent just that; books of good

(the Bible and some others) . I won't name the books of evil but I think you get my meaning.So in conclusion a thanks to the atheists of Philly for adding to the Christmas display.

Are you sure the 'Tree ' idea isn't just a tweak at the Christians ? ( Yes, THAT tree of Knowledge of Good / Evil, per the Bible )

Also, I think the whole tree idea for Christmas comes from Germany, and I'm not even sure if it's origionally related to Christianity at all.

I think many folks call themselves atheist simply to annoy Christians. True atheist probably like getting presents just like everyone else does at this time of year, and would rather leave well enough alone.

(edited - to avoid further confusion )

Are you sure the 'Tree ' idea isn't just a tweak at the Christians ? I think the whole tree idea comes from Germany, and I'm not even sure if it's origionally related to Christianity at all.

I think many folks call themselves atheist simply to annoy Christians. True atheist probably like getting presents just like everyone else does at this time of year, and would rather leave well enough alone.

I actually knew a couple of atheists that did swap Christmas presents. I always got a kick out of it and was really tempted to ask them about that, but I felt like it was the wrong thing to do given what the true meaning of Christmas is anyway.

Hey, everyone knows Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th. That date was just coopted by the Holy Roman Catholic Church, as a means of overriding ancient pagan Winter Solstice festivals , ( usually occuring on Dec 22nd ) in order to convert the dumb masses.

For centuries in Christianity, the really big celebration was Easter.

Are you sure the 'Tree ' idea isn't just a tweak at the Christians ? I think the whole tree idea comes from Germany, and I'm not even sure if it's origionally related to Christianity at all.

I think he is referring to the Tree of Knowledge which is in the Bible. If you are referring to the traditional Christmas tree, then yes Germany.

Archived