Ranking the coaches of the West

GalensGhost

Ive never been impressed by Saban at Alabama. I think its funny how bama fans will try to convince you their coach is good because of things he did at other schools.

Ive never been impressed by Saban at Alabama. I think its funny how bama fans will try to convince you their coach is good because of things he did at other schools.

Well, maybe he did do a great job at other schools. Kind of makes you wonder what the problem is now....

$aban is a vagabond. No doubt, but he built Michigan State to its highest point in the last 30 years and won a title at LSU. That team was as good defensively as any SEC team in the last 15 or so years. That defense alone made them legit. He's a better coach than you give him credit.

My list would look something like this:

1) Tubby – I'm a homer too, but Auburn is legit. He's had the best single team of any of these guys and BY FAR the worst luck.

2) $aban – this one is a close call to me. He's a solid recruiter, great defensive coach, total ahole, and a touch overhyped. Glad he's not at Auburn, but he's a good coach.

3) Nutt – he has a specialty, but he's good at his specialty. He'd never last at a place with the expectation level of a Nebraska. Ole Miss/Arkansas these are good fits. He's going to sport the worst record in the SEC for at least one or two more years though. Oxford is a wreck.

4) Croom – great job. He's still got to show that he can sustain success. Then he has to show he can elevate it. But he's done yeoman's work in Starkville

5) Miles – great recruiter, sets the attitude for the program, solid game planner, worst game manager I've ever seen, and may or may not be mentally handicapped.

6) Petrino – ahole on the $aban level. Never had a defense. Great offensive coach but he's never done it at a big time level. He's got the most to prove so he's last right now. He succeeded in the Big East, failed in the NFL, and the SEC is somewhere in-between on the difficulty scale.

I have to say I agree with this post the most. As much as I think he is a complete A-hole, Saban is a much better coach than I think alot of us give credit for. To take Michigan State to a bowl game and beat Michigan (all in the same yearr) is pretty darn good. In fact, I don't think it would take half of the fingers on one hand to count how many times Michigan lost to Michigan state in the past 15 years or so - thats quite an accomplishment. Not only that, this past season @ Alabama was his WORST in 10+ years of being a College head coach. Should he win the Independance bowl, it will mean that he has NEVER finished below .500 as a College head coach - that is truly saying something - most, if not all other - coaches usually do not finish with a winning record their first year as a head coach.

That said, I would take CTT over any of the others in a heartbeat.

The bottom line is championships and then overall wins. I don't care how well a coach speaks in public, how "lucky" he is perceived to be, how much perceived talent he may or may not have, or how many people perceive him to be an idiot. Those statements are nothing but opinions. Why not use some factual statistics to explain your ratings? As long as he wins and wins championships that's the only things that matter when grading a coaches performance. Much of LSU's so called superior talent either didn't play or had limited participation in the SEC Championship game due to injuries and they still won. Call Miles an idiot but the fact remains he is 2-1 against Tubberville and has already won as many SEC Championships in just 3 years as Tubberville has won in 9. Use the talent disadvantage excuse and ask yourself why Tubberville's talent is not up to par.

1. Saban (1 National Championship, 2 SEC Championships in 5 years)

2. Miles (1 SEC Championship, possible 1 National Championship in 3 years, 2-1 against Tubberville)

3. Tubs (1 SEC Championship in 9 years, should have gone to the National Championship in '04)

4. Petrino

5. Nutt

6. Croom

The bottom line is championships and then overall wins. I don't care how well a coach speaks in public, how "lucky" he is perceived to be, how much perceived talent he may or may not have, or how many people perceive him to be an idiot. Those statements are nothing but opinions. Why not use some factual statistics to explain your ratings? As long as he wins and wins championships that's the only things that matter when grading a coaches performance. Much of LSU's so called superior talent either didn't play or had limited participation in the SEC Championship game due to injuries and they still won. Call Miles an idiot but the fact remains he is 2-1 against Tubberville and has already won as many SEC Championships in just 3 years as Tubberville has won in 9. Use the talent disadvantage excuse and ask yourself why Tubberville's talent is not up to par.

2. Miles (1 SEC Championship, possible 1 National Championship in 3 years, 2-1 against Tubberville)

3. Tubs (1 SEC Championship in 9 years, should have gone to the National Championship in '04)

4. Petrino

5. Nutt

6. Croom

It's TUBERVILLE. Spell it correctly or go back to grade school.

As for your "championships only matter" manure, I hope you enjoy watching players become hardened criminals. This attitude about only winning football games is great for the NFL. Those guys are paid to put together a championship football team. There's a lot more to college athletes. Most of them will not be successfull in the NFL, therefore they need a good education. How's Tuberville's ranking on that? Last I checked, Auburn was one of the highest rated schools when it comes to athletes and academics. How about team discipline? You choose Miles and Saban over Tuberville? What about consistency? Tuberville hasn't had less than 8 wins in almost 8 years. Saban had a 6 win season, so he doesn't win there.

And based on your "facts," how is Petrino ranked higher than 6th? He hasn't coached a game in the SEC.

4. Petrino

5. Nutt

6. Croom

It's TUBERVILLE. Spell it correctly or go back to grade school.

As for your "championships only matter" manure, I hope you enjoy watching players become hardened criminals. This attitude about only winning football games is great for the NFL. Those guys are paid to put together a championship football team. There's a lot more to college athletes. Most of them will not be successfull in the NFL, therefore they need a good education. How's Tuberville's ranking on that? Last I checked, Auburn was one of the highest rated schools when it comes to athletes and academics. How about team discipline? You choose Miles and Saban over Tuberville? What about consistency? Tuberville hasn't had less than 8 wins in almost 8 years. Saban had a 6 win season, so he doesn't win there.

And based on your "facts," how is Petrino ranked higher than 6th? He hasn't coached a game in the SEC.

So championships don't matter? Do you honestly think Tuberville would still be coaching AU if he didn't have the one SEC Championship season? (He was nearly run out of town prior.) Of course excellent academics and stringent discipline are both qualities of a good coach. I think Miles is doing a good job in those areas. I think Saban did a good job while at LSU in those areas too. I think those characteristics go hand and hand with winning. (9 times out of 10 a winning coach will have those characteristics.)

I do think the coaching abilities between Saban, Tuberville and Miles are all very close. All have their strengths and weaknesses. All are very good coaches. Miles is a good "CEO" type coach. He knows how to hirer good assistant coaches. This is evident by the fact that Pelini is now the head coach at Nebraska and Crowton has done an excellent job with the offense in his first year. Tuberville is an excellent game day coach especially against top 10 teams. However, he has a record of slipping up once or twice during most years against teams with inferior talent and Saban is the defensive guru.

I do think the coaching abilities between Saban, Tuberville and Miles are all very close. All have their strengths and weaknesses. All are very good coaches. Miles is a good "CEO" type coach. He knows how to hirer good assistant coaches. This is evident by the fact that Pelini is now the head coach at Nebraska and Crowton has done an excellent job with the offense in his first year. Tuberville is an excellent game day coach especially against top 10 teams. However, he has a record of slipping up once or twice during most years against teams with inferior talent and Saban is the defensive guru.

Funny post! I love your sarcasm. Oh, wait... You were SERIOUS?

BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Tuberville has a record of "slipping up" but Saban is a "defensive guru"? BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Saban lost to UAB. He lost to ULM. In every year but one during his tenure, his teams lost a minimum of three games -- and one almost every season to an inferior team. I think Will Muschamp might have had something -- maybe everything -- to do with Saban's supposed "guru-ness".

BWAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA heeeeee.....

So championships don't matter? Do you honestly think Tuberville would still be coaching AU if he didn't have the one SEC Championship season? (He was nearly run out of town prior.) Of course excellent academics and stringent discipline are both qualities of a good coach. I think Miles is doing a good job in those areas. I think Saban did a good job while at LSU in those areas too. I think those characteristics go hand and hand with winning. (9 times out of 10 a winning coach will have those characteristics.)

You can read Galen's response to get most of what I have to say.

Championships DO matter. I NEVER said they didn't. Unless you can quote me, please refrain from making up lies to improve your argument.

However, you're the one that said this:

As long as he wins and wins championships that's the only things that matter when grading a coaches performance.

Your best coaches are lightweight blankets. Championships. Those occur MAYBE every few years. NC's are insanely hard to come by.

My best coach - Tommy Tuberville - is the complete package. We win ball games. We have the best record against top ten teams in the nation. We have consistent discipline. Our players graduate. Tuberville doesn't make an a** out of himself on TV. We haven't lost to our rival in 6 years. We're 7-1 in the last eight years.

And you're kidding about Miles being better at hiring assistants? He lucked out with Jimbo Fischer - he did a good job with Pelini - I'll give you that.

Tuberville's coordinators went on to become:

Petrino - Louisville head coach, Atlanta head coach, Arkansas head coach

Gene Chizik - D-Coordinator at Texas for NC, head coach of Iowa St

Will Muschamp - widely regarded as one of the best DCs in the nation, give me one or two years to see where he ends up.

But you're right - championships only matter when ranking coaches.

1. Tuberville

2. Miles

t3. Saban

t3. Petrino

4. Croom

5. Nutt

The people ranking Nutt ahead of anyone this list are stoned. If Croom were at a better school, he'd probably be higher. Saban is still "unproven" at Bama, but building LSU was not a piece of cake people want to make it out to be. Petrino is 41-9 in college. Nutt was barely .500 in SEC play at Arkansas, while Croom walked into a huge mess at Miss St and made a bowl this year.

It's all subjective, and since you have 5 really good coaches it's going to change from year to year. One thing is certain, in 3 years, the whole world should see what Arkansas fans have been saying for years...Nutt is a clown.

Funny post! I love your sarcasm. Oh, wait... You were SERIOUS?

BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Tuberville has a record of "slipping up" but Saban is a "defensive guru"? BWAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Saban lost to UAB. He lost to ULM. In every year but one during his tenure, his teams lost a minimum of three games -- and one almost every season to an inferior team. I think Will Muschamp might have had something -- maybe everything -- to do with Saban's supposed "guru-ness".

BWAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA heeeeee.....

There's no doubt Saban has his share of slip ups too but the 1 NC and 2 SEC Championships in just 5 years negates much of the negative affect those have on his overall resume.

You're kidding yourself if you don't believe Saban played a crucial part in where Muschamp is today. Muschamp learned a lot from Saban and much of his success can be attributed to him being a student of the defensive mastermind.

Archived