Weather related

TecmoBoJackson

So I just got finished reading the overview of all the bowls on espn (http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index) and saw one comment after the story that threw me for a loop. Now I have never been engaged in an argument on this subject but felt the need to say something and I wanted some opinions.

One guy went on and on about how one sided the bowl games are how they all favor "warm weathered" teams...... Now I understand that weather is different in other parts of the country but he was saying that all of the northern ("cold weathered") teams are at a disadvantage because they have to come down here and play the games. He also went on to state that outcomes would certainly be different if teams from the SEC, ACC, and even Pac-10 had to go up north and play in the cold. And this is the kicker right here, his last comment was how northern team offenses have their game plans centered around the weather, i.e having to run the ball and play smash mouth whereas our teams were able to have pass happy offenses and spread formations because of the warm weather. I didn't know the SEC was known for pass first, run second.............

I guess what I am getting at is does the weather really decide ball games, don't both teams have to play in it at the same time??? And lastly, would them coming to warm weather really hurt them at all??? Just wanted to see if I could get any opinions on that..........

I digress......... :rant:

So I just got finished reading the overview of all the bowls on espn (http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index) and saw one comment after the story that threw me for a loop. Now I have never been engaged in an argument on this subject but felt the need to say something and I wanted some opinions.

One guy went on and on about how one sided the bowl games are how they all favor "warm weathered" teams...... Now I understand that weather is different in other parts of the country but he was saying that all of the northern ("cold weathered") teams are at a disadvantage because they have to come down here and play the games. He also went on to state that outcomes would certainly be different if teams from the SEC, ACC, and even Pac-10 had to go up north and play in the cold. And this is the kicker right here, his last comment was how northern team offenses have their game plans centered around the weather, i.e having to run the ball and play smash mouth whereas our teams were able to have pass happy offenses and spread formations because of the warm weather. I didn't know the SEC was known for pass first, run second.............

I guess what I am getting at is does the weather really decide ball games, don't both teams have to play in it at the same time??? And lastly, would them coming to warm weather really hurt them at all??? Just wanted to see if I could get any opinions on that..........

I digress......... :rant:

Winter weather in the South does not hurt or help anybody. It's ideal conditions for football. Teams used to the cold weather do in fact perform better than southern teams in the North. See the Green Bay Packers or the NFC championship game from last year. But to say that teams are at a disadvantage because of warm weather is retarded.

Ask Ron Zook if it's too cold to run the spread in Illinois. Ask Arkansas if they like to play smashmouth football. That guy just has sour grapes because everybody is down on the Big Televen this year. I have a feeling they're gonna get OWNED this year in the bowls. I think they'll go 2-4 at best.

Like somebody said, weather in the south during the winter is ideal for both teams.

However, the vast majority of the college football season is still played during warm weather no matter what region of the country the school is from. The extreme north has not started getting consistently cold until late November. So, that whole argument is total bs just based upon that alone.

Bowl games arent warm. Every bowl game Ive been to the weather has been a lot closer to the temperatures a "northern" team would play at than any temp we would have down here during the regular season. I agree sour grapes and excuses.

If you lived in Oklahoma, would you rather go to Miami in January or Philidelphia? Fans will not travel north. The reason the Orange Bowl and the Rose Bowl are tied to the Big 12 and the Big 10(11) is for the snowbird migrations from those conferences.

Remember! Bowl games are about attracting fans, not the actual ball game.

Here are a couple of QBs just from WSU who ended up in the NFL: Drew Bledsoe, Timm Rosenbach, Mark Rypian & Jack Thompson. It gets dang cold & snowy in Pullman, WA. Theory debunked. Writer is a certified moron.

If you lived in Oklahoma, would you rather go to Miami in January or Philidelphia? Fans will not travel north. The reason the Orange Bowl and the Rose Bowl are tied to the Big 12 and the Big 10(11) is for the snowbird migrations from those conferences.

Remember! Bowl games are about attracting fans, not the actual ball game.

You hit the nail on the head. If you remember, before there were twenty-five jillion bowl games, all of them were in the southern half of the country. It had nothing to do with giving one team an advantage. No one wants to go to the north in the middle of winter. It is a little different now because there are so many domed stadiums, but who wants to go to a bowl game and have it turn out like the Cleveland Browns game last week?

Archived