AJC reports we'll field team in 2008!

Rockthecasbah6

It’s great to be back!

By Tony Barnhart | Monday, February 25, 2008, 07:47 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

When last we met, way back on Jan. 11, I thought I would give you until March before inflicting you once more with these daily ramblings. But sometimes the sheer weight of events makes it impossible to stay away.

So what did I miss? Here are five stories that caught my attention.

1. Alabama (Bear Bryant), Auburn (Shug Jordan), Ole Miss (John Vaught), Tennessee (Robert Neyland), and Georgia Tech (Bobby Dodd) have all named their stadiums after the most successful coaches in school history. Georgia just announced that it is going to name a garden and some athletics buildings for Vince Dooley, who won 201 games, six SEC championships, one national championship, and gave 41 years to the school.

Are you kidding me?

2. After waiting three years to finally become the starting quarterback for LSU, it took Ryan Perrilloux less than two months to get suspended indefinitely by coach Les Miles. That has got to be some kind of record.

With Perrilloux, the Tigers will be good enough to win the SEC West again. The only other quarterback in camp with experience (Andrew Hatch) is a transfer from Harvard — never a good sign. Miles has a big decision to make.

3. Alabama signed the greatest recruiting class in the history of Earth. The recruiting class was so good that the other 11 teams in the SEC have decided to quit giving scholarships and play football only as a club sport. Just kidding. Okay, Alabama recruited well. Alabama SHOULD recruit well. But please, some perspective.

4. Reading the blogs on signing day, one Auburn fan was so dejected about his class relative to Alabama’s that he wrote that head coach Tommy Tuberville needed “to step it up.” Well, let’s see. Last time I checked, Tuberville had won six straight games against Alabama (a school record) and was 26-6 in his last 32 SEC games. Tuberville recently told a crowd that, contrary to some reports, Auburn will field a football team in 2008.

5.Tennessee punter Britton Colquitt has been suspended for the Vols’ first five games and has lost his scholarship after this fifth alcohol-related incident since coming to campus. According to media reports, Colquitt is the sixth Tennessee player to be charged by police since Jan. 11. John Adams, a columnist for the Knoxville News-Sentinel, says coach Phillip Fulmer should be fired. Fulmer responded with his own column in the same newspaper saying that he was not a big fan of John Adams’ work. Should be a fun off-season on old Rocky Top.

Just think. We’re having this much fun and it’s not even March yet.

What’s been your favorite college football story so far in 2008?

It’s good to be back.

Quality stuff from Barnhart, as usual.

I agree that Dooley is in the same league as those other coaches, but calling it something other than Sanford Stadium would be odd.

Under President Mike Adams, Vince Dooley has a 0% chance of getting the stadium named after him. Adams hates Dooley AND though Dooley is loved by many throughout the entire school, I don't think he has the support to get the stadium changed EVEN if Adams gave Dooley his support.

Under President Mike Adams, Vince Dooley has a 0% chance of getting the stadium named after him. Adams hates Dooley AND though Dooley is loved by many throughout the entire school, I don't think he has the support to get the stadium changed EVEN if Adams gave Dooley his support.

Not even Dooley field (at Sanford stadium)?

I live in Ga. and the UGA fans I know would readily support "Dooley Field". Michael Adams is a tool.

Nope. At least, I don't think so.

To be honest, I was taken aback by the amount of people who agreed online at least (on UGASports) that they did not want the name changed. Now, you go to AJC and they had a poll which was like 60/40 in favor but I think that in the end Dooley won't get the field changed even if Adams started supporting it.

Adams is hated by like 90% of UGA fans but I think it is more blind hatred than anything. He has done some great things for the school while being a d-bag a lot too.

Without Adams, we would have had Donnan for another year. People forget that. But, Adams was NOT the one responsible for hiring Richt as Adams wanted 1-2 others.

My brother is a UGA grad (although he shamed the family, we still love him) and he and his UGA friends seem to really dislike Dooley. They feel like he has meddled too much in the Athletic department. No matter, they should name the field after him at least, he is responsible for much of y'alls success in the late 70's and early 80's.

I've always liked Barnhart and I wish he would write a few more football books. This whole mess with Fulmer and the players arrest records is getting to be out of hand. I guess the AD at UT doesn't have the sack to do anything.

During the season I read Barnhart's online article every day. The guy knows his stuff. He will go out on a limb and make predictions, which he of course gets blasted for if wrong. The comments section attracts CFB fans from all over to the tune of 60-100 posts/day. Unfortunately there is a lot of UGA-GT squabbling.

I can only hope there is a 10 by 10 foot plot of grass on the "family friendly tailgating section" Michael Adams created for his own, future, memorial.

Archived