Honest question for Bama posters . . .

rebdawg

With Alabama being high on the NCAA radar over the past decade and a half and with Saban's history of spending a lot of time in the grey area of the recruiting rules are you concerned that the NCAA will find a way to put the Tide back on probation?

We all know that the NCAA makes up the rules as they go along and that being guilty is not always important to get put on probation. It is also well established that though Saban may not out-and-out break the rules, he certainly does push the boundaries. From the outside it looks like there is serious potential for another probation.

No jabs, no jokes - is this something that concerns the Bama fan base or is it a case that as long as he notches another MNC that it is worth another probation?

Honestly, if it wasn't him, or a few others in the coaching circle, I would be worried. Like you said, he sits in the gray area, and has for what it seems his whole coaching career. No where he has been as a coach been put on probation while he was the coach, or after he left. I think he is just really good at sitting on the line, but never crosses said line.

But that being said, I do honestly think that the NCAA will look hard at anything and everything possibly negative that comes from UA.

Alabama's not going to win the SEC under Saban.

No jabs, no jokes

Someone doesn't know how to follow directions. And since when are you an Alabama fan?

I find most of the Bama probation rumors to be BS, imo

Funny but a little too out-there believable wise EVEN THOUGH I agree with you all that Saban can stretch the limits at times thus rule changes because of him

I agree with the Bama guys that they won't go on probation under Saban though

The thing is, it's not like he's paying people or doing something crazy. Even the things he's been accused of are still secondary violations.

So I'd be reluctant to think we would go on probation for him bumping into a recruit here and there.

Seriously, no NCAA school should go on probation until USC is forced to answer for their mess.

I'm saying this as nice as I can, and as objectively as I can, but I see Alabama's recruiting and booster process as a little like going through inspections when I was in the military.

If you have your room ready for inspection, by having it squared away and looking good on the surface, chances are the inspector is going to keep on just flying by. However, the moment you give them anything, no matter how small or seemingly irrelevant, suddenly it gives cause to start opening drawers, looking behind and under furniture. The white gloves go on.

Saban, and because of Alabama's recent past history with the NCAA is a very fickle combination that I see blowing up in a bad way over something that will, on it's own, seem petty. I don't know when, or how, but I just see it as inevitable.

JMO...

The thing is, it's not like he's paying people or doing something crazy. Even the things he's been accused of are still secondary violations.

So I'd be reluctant to think we would go on probation for him bumping into a recruit here and there.

Seriously, no NCAA school should go on probation until USC is forced to answer for their mess.

I have to 100% agree with BG here (BG you may never here me say those words again B) ). If USC and UT can get away with the shenanigans they have pulled over the years then NO SCHOOL should EVER be put on probabtion again!

Chopper, I agree with you. Like I posted on the "Saban Rule" thread...you don't tease OSHA or the NCAA; and in your case military inspectors. There are enough rules that you WILL be caught in non-compliance if looked at closely enough. Not to be blastphemous (sp?), I've heard the OSHA guide be compared to the Bible: no way are you in 100% compliance. The NCAA is the same way. Should the NCAA come in, you'd better hope Mike Shula, et al were 100% above board too.

Thanks Bama fans, I think that was pretty honest. I am not accusing Saban of anything, but I have seen how the NCAA (SS) work. Although Saban's trangressions have been paltry they still equal what they eventually put us (Auburn) on two years probation for back in the early 90's.

There is no doubt that the NCAA is as crooked as a pretzel. I still don't know how the Big 10 (11) schools keep getting off. Joe Pa has done stuff at Penn St. in just the past five years that would have meant the death penalty for an SEC school and they are the cleanest thing in the Big 10 (11).

There is no doubt that the NCAA is as crooked as a pretzel. I still don't know how the Big 10 (11) schools keep getting off. Joe Pa has done stuff at Penn St. in just the past five years that would have meant the death penalty for an SEC school and they are the cleanest thing in the Big 10 (11).

Like what?

Alabama's not going on probation under Saban.

Nope, you're right...he'll leave right before the hammer falls. :poke:

:au::homer:

I think that constantly inventing new ways to push the recruiting rules envelope is SLIMY.

Why is it Slimy, seriously? I understand that Saban shouldn't do things that are unethical, but trying to find ways to stand out is not wrong. Using the teleconference thing isn't against the rules, it is unique and smart. When the NCAA makes it illegal, then it would be wrong.

I dont see anything wrong with pushing the envelope as long as he (Saban) is within compliance.

The $4mil boy will not be @ west vance long enough to get them on probation. That will be left for the ThirtyFifthChoiceOne.

He may not last out his contract to its end, but Saban isn't going anywhere. He is settled at the moment and making a very profitable go at being a college football coach.

If it gets to stressful I see him retiring before jumping ship. Then I see him rejoining the College football ranks somewhere 2 years after he retires because he hasn't been married or a father more than he has been a football coach and the reality of that life will force him to hide by coaching again.

Point being, I see Saban lasting around 2-3 more years at best, which is a good thing for the Bama faithful since he will at least load the team with decent talent for whoever takes over for him.

He may not last out his contract to its end, but Saban isn't going anywhere. He is settled at the moment and making a very profitable go at being a college football coach.

If it gets to stressful I see him retiring before jumping ship. Then I see him rejoining the College football ranks somewhere 2 years after he retires because he hasn't been married or a father more than he has been a football coach and the reality of that life will force him to hide by coaching again.

Point being, I see Saban lasting around 2-3 more years at best, which is a good thing for the Bama faithful since he will at least load the team with decent talent for whoever takes over for him.

The rational bammers I spoke with back when he was hired were hoping for that, at least. Whether he stays or jumps ship, they'll come out of it in better shape than when he got there. Or at least they should.

The only issue is they will have to go fresh with an up and coming talent sooner or later. They need a good hearted positive personality to come in to Bama nad change the environment.

Things need to change at the crapstone but Saban is just recruiting and creating a negative environment to rival all they have seen so far.

Archived