Petey Smith

Free article from Rivals

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=812554

Four-star LB names leader

Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com Publisher

Talk about it in The Bunker

With offers from all over the country, Seffner (Fla.) Armwood linebacker Petey Smith has been inundated with visits and phone calls from coaches this spring.

Hoping to give himself a little breathing room, the 6-foot, 230-pounder has narrowed his list to five.

"Basically, I narrowed it down to the five schools that have been showing me the most love," said Smith. "It's Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, Illinois and North Carolina."

Smith, who is rated a four-star and the nation's No. 18 inside linebacker by Rivals.com, said one of those five stands out above the rest.

"Auburn has to stand out," said Smith. "My brother is going there and they are really showing me the most love out of anybody. I talk to coach Greg Knox and have built a good relationship with him."

Smith's older brother, running back Eric Smith, signed with Auburn in February and is scheduled to report to the Plains June 8.

"I'm going up there when we take Eric up there and then I'm going back up for the camp on June 14th and 15th," said Smith. "Everybody is happy to see him move up and hopefully make a name for himself on the next stage."

Smith also plans to visit his other Top 5 schools this summer including North Carolina the final week of June. He is still in the process of setting up three more trips.

"I'm going to take the summer, go to the different colleges and see the things I like and see the things I don't like," said Smith. "Academics are a big thing and depth chart is a big thing too. I want to go somewhere that I can play early."

Smith said AU's depth chart is another big plus for the Tigers.

"I know they only signed one linebacker this year and next year they have a couple of them graduating so that might be a good situation for me," said Smith.

As a junior, Petey tallied 80 tackles and three sacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on Petey! Kid's gonna be a beast in college if he's already 230 lbs

I'd be surprised if Petey Smith ended up anywhere other than Auburn.

PS: He's actually supposedly pushing 250+ at this point which has a lot of people talking about his future role as a DT and not as a LB.

PS: He's actually supposedly pushing 250+ at this point which has a lot of people talking about his future role as a DT and not as a LB.

Interesting. I wonder if that's muscle or fat. I mean, you're gonna want a DT to have about 30+ more pounds than that. You really think he can put that much weight(muscle) on in the weightroom? I only wonder because it seems like his genes wouldn't allow that with his brother being lighter than that and Petey at 6 ft. You never know though, because I'm 3 inches taller than my brother.

Either way, good to hear he's got AU in his sights.

His brother was 240 lbs when he signed with Auburn last year. I read where he has lost 20 pounds since he first signed with Auburn and is now around 220lbs. Petey Smith is only 6' tall. If he was discliplined enouh to go on a diet, why couldn't he get his weight down around 220lbs like his brother has done?

If he is 250 and still runs a 4.5 then that would be like getting hit by a freight train. Besides this recruiting class seems to be full of LBs but I havent seen that many DTs so it could be a good thing.

His brother was 240 lbs when he signed with Auburn last year. I read where he has lost 20 pounds since he first signed with Auburn and is now around 220lbs. Petey Smith is only 6' tall. If he was discliplined enouh to go on a diet, why couldn't he get his weight down around 220lbs like his brother has done?

The big thing is that he is simply still growing. When you're talking about a 17 year old who hasn't even stepped foot on a field as a HS senior and he's already pushing 250lbs the basic judgment call is that he is going to get even bigger. Petey Smith is a year younger than his brother and is already significantly bigger than Eric ever was. The height thing isn't that concerning, I think he measured in at 6'0.5 at a Scout camp and if he can grow to say 6'1 he'll be perfectly fine. I've seen a bit of film on him and the kid just looks very big. Like I said, the decision hasn't really been made and probably wont be made until we see him in camp, but a lot of people I talk to have all essentially been mirroring the same thing.

Remember that current commit Terrence Coleman is about at the same range weight wise and he is also projected to grow into a DT. Sen'Derrick Marks was listed at about 253lbs by Rivals when we signed him, and he's currently up at 290lbs.

Maybe I'm thinking differently because I was 5'10" and a whopping 150 lbs when I graduated high school and finished up Auburn at 6', 185. It took 4 1/2 years of Budweisers, Mario Kart and Willies wings w/ cheese tots to get me up to that monster weight.

I just can't imagine being 250 lbs and putting on an additional 40 lbs at my height.

Maybe I'm thinking differently because I was 5'10" and a whopping 150 lbs when I graduated high school and finished up Auburn at 6', 185. It took 4 1/2 years of Budweisers, Mario Kart and Willies wings w/ cheese tots to get me up to that monster weight.

I just can't imagine being 250 lbs and putting on an additional 40 lbs at my height.

Think Josh Thompson.

Mario Kart was the best EVAR.

Mario Kart was the best EVAR.

Mario Kart IS the best evar. That, foosball and ultimate frisbee took up more time than I can even remember in school.

Here's what Coach $nake told Mr. Petey Smith....

"As for the prospect of playing at 'Bama, arch-rival of Auburn, where his brother Eric will play running back, Smith had this to say: "The first thing Nick Saban told me was, 'Just look at it like this ... even if you come and don't play, at least you'll have a story on ESPN because everybody will be talking about it."

Really? Really?? What a douche. Apparently coach $ doesn't recall ESPN talking about the Irons brothers during Every Game...

Here's what Coach $nake told Mr. Petey Smith....

"As for the prospect of playing at 'Bama, arch-rival of Auburn, where his brother Eric will play running back, Smith had this to say: "The first thing Nick Saban told me was, 'Just look at it like this ... even if you come and don't play, at least you'll have a story on ESPN because everybody will be talking about it."

Really? Really?? What a douche. Apparently coach $ doesn't recall ESPN talking about the Irons brothers during Every Game...

where was that article at?

No more links for RWS. It is obvious that he doesn't read about CFB anywhere else, doesn't get out much and is either paranoid or is just yanking us when asking for links.

RWS.....Your comments are invalid and I'm going to ignore you until you prove that you are doing research, bringing info to this blog and you PROVE that you actually have a clue.

No more links for RWS. It is obvious that he doesn't read about CFB anywhere else, doesn't get out much and is either paranoid or is just yanking us when asking for links.

RWS.....Your comments are invalid and I'm going to ignore you until you prove that you are doing research, bringing info to this blog and you PROVE that you actually have a clue.

still waiting on your link there, killer. sorry, i don't often grace the Tampa Bay newspapers for Auburn articles on a daily basis. you said you would do it sometime the next day, so far nothing. don't take it out on me when i ask you for a link to prove your wild rumors....just take a look at the rules of the board. i guess you saying my comments are invalid only because you can use it as a security blanket since you can't prove what you said.

5) No "unsubstantiated" rumors. Rule of thumb, if you dont have a link for it, don't post it. Keeps the Blue Sky to a minimum. Even if you cite from another forum, that is okay. Just don't hallucinate new rumors. We are not Tider Insider.

here's a link....;)

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

ALSO, see this one....

6) When referring to an article, give us a link, ALWAYS! If there is no link, then give us bibliography type info, as in author, article name, magazine-book title, etc. We understand that there might not be an Internet link for Callier's December 1941.

so excuse me for asking for a link for what The Prowler said.

still waiting on your link there, killer. sorry, i don't often grace the Tampa Bay newspapers for Auburn articles on a daily basis. you said you would do it sometime the next day, so far nothing. don't take it out on me when i ask you for a link to prove your wild rumors....just take a look at the rules of the board. i guess you saying my comments are invalid only because you can use it as a security blanket since you can't prove what you said.

5) No "unsubstantiated" rumors. Rule of thumb, if you dont have a link for it, don't post it. Keeps the Blue Sky to a minimum. Even if you cite from another forum, that is okay. Just don't hallucinate new rumors. We are not Tider Insider.

here's a link....;)

What the holy freakin' hell are you talking about? You asked for a link to Prowler's post and he provided it.

here's a link....;)

What the holy freakin' hell are you talking about? You asked for a link to Prowler's post and he provided it.

yes, he did. my reply was directed to Hoopie in reference to another thread.

just as a side note, has anybody stopped to think that maybe CNS was trying to have a sense of humor? that maybe he was trying to say that there would be a story because two brothers would be playing against each other for Alabama and Auburn?

here's a link....;)

just as a side note, has anybody stopped to think that maybe CNS was trying to have a sense of humor? that maybe he was trying to say that there would be a story because two brothers would be playing against each other for Alabama and Auburn?

Actually, no, I hadn't, and would not ever think that $aban was trying to have a sense of humor. He doesn't have one, period.

here's a link....;)

Call me crazy, but shouldn't discussion on other threads actually, you know, be in those other threads?

RWS..I stand corrected and apologize. I totally forgot that the "link" requirement was in the rules. I just thought you were trying to disrupt the conversation (I still do). I will learn how to save, catagorize then attach links so that I don't have to quote the entire article. I read a lot of stuff and don't normally plan on "linking" it, but that is my problem. I have searched and can't find the "HS autograph signing session" article. Most newspapers require membership to research archives.

Rest assured that I did read this in an article. I could never dream up such a devious scenerio to skirt the rules.

here's a link....;)

ALSO, see this one....

6) When referring to an article, give us a link, ALWAYS! If there is no link, then give us bibliography type info, as in author, article name, magazine-book title, etc. We understand that there might not be an Internet link for Callier's December 1941.

so excuse me for asking for a link for what The Prowler said.

Ahhh, the classic "it's a forum rule!" defense.

Yea, I actually thought it was pretty funny comment. I love Saban's humor. Very dry. I really do think he is a funny guy, and it is true. It would be talked up on ESPN, it is every time.

Archived