Newsweek U.S. Presidential Poll: June 25 Democrat candidate up 18pts!

AURaptor

1984 Newsweek Poll: Walter Mondale beating Ronald Reagan by 18 points

red state ^

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 22:01:10 by maccaca

There's a little gem of Newsweek's embarrasing polling history buried under the perpetual poll sucker Howard Fineman's latest piece. http://www.newsweek.com/id/143258/output/print

But nothing like in 1984. That was the most embarrassing example of the latter kind of survey. It predates PSR but remains seared into our institutional memory. The day the Democratic convention ended in San Francisco in 1984, the Newsweek poll showed Walter Mondale 18 points ahead of President Ronald Reagan. Mondale ended up getting clobbered, 49 states to one.

Wtf does the Iron Bowl have to do w/ Presidential elections ? Or opinion polls geared to MAKE news, not report it ?

I got hammered yesterday for making "excuses" relating to past history. Somet things never change.

It's JUNE!!!!! Not November. A lot will happen between now and then.

Wtf does the Iron Bowl have to do w/ Presidential elections ? Or opinion polls geared to MAKE news, not report it ?

About as much to do with it as a poll from 1984 to polling today.

Polling methods have changed a lot in 24 years, not to mention it was taken right after the convention which always gives you a bump and even more of a bump 20 years ago because the conventions were more important.

About as much to do with it as a poll from 1984 to polling today.

Polling methods have changed a lot in 24 years, not to mention it was taken right after the convention which always gives you a bump and even more of a bump 20 years ago because the conventions were more important.

No, polls are polls, and they'll get Obama as wrong as they did Mondale.

WDE!

No, polls are polls, and they'll get Obama as wrong as they did Mondale.

Oh polls are polls? Well let me take a quick poll real quick.

Yup that is wierd, here is the results for if we elected a president now:

Obama: 75%

Ron Paul: 25%

Polls are Polls. I can't believe that McCain won't get any votes.

Honestly man, polls are polls, they can be changed, manipulated, skewed, and polling methods have changed a good bit.

I got hammered yesterday for making "excuses" relating to past history. Somet things never change.

Like a terrotist attack McCain's people keep hoping for.

Like a terrotist attack McCain's people keep hoping for.

Actually, Hillary said a terrorist attack would help McCain first. Nice try.

...and you have to make the basic assumption that the people are actually telling the truth when they answer a question and that the poll is obtained using appropriate sampling techniques.

Archived