Saban speaks

AU alum

This is from al.com

Does Alabama coach Nick Saban had a timetable in mind for returning the program to championship form? What should fans expect?

You were wondering this, too, right? Let's be honest. It's been a tough few years for the Tide. A tough decade, save for a year or two. And now, without underestimating the rebuilding project Saban took over, it's fair to ask when (or if) the team is going to be among the nation's best again. As you might expect, Saban prefers not to think of it like that.

"We never, ever talk about it," he said. "It is what it is. We are where we are. We work every day to try to get it where we want it to be. We're going to make small, incremental improvements to getting there."

Saban is without doubt the best at answering but not answering :lol:

I agree.....he is very good at turning a question around.

Uh, as to how long it will take?.....I think if we as bama fans can give him 5 years, he will get bama back to a good area. Im not saying up to UGA, Uf, LSU, or Auburn (fighting for a NC every year) standards....but i think he can turn the program around into a good direction.

"I just think the players have to do what it is they're needing to do, to get to do what you all want them to do and become...."Committed to Excellence".....Aight? It is what it is, is that what you want me to say? Aight?"

It must be tough to deal with Saban as a journalist

He was hated while at MSU with the media, hated at LSU with the media members from the Advocate and Times-Picyune, and I am sure isn't well-liked by most in the Bama media.

Gives vague answers, mocks reporters, and always centers things around his time.

Not that he is supposed to bend his schedule for them but he really will just never care about any media problems

Uh, as to how long it will take?.....I think if we as bama fans can give him 5 years, he will get bama back to a good area. Im not saying up to UGA, Uf, LSU, or Auburn (fighting for a NC every year) standards....but i think he can turn the program around into a good direction.

Really? You're saying that if Saban doesn't have Bama competing for an NC every year in FIVE years then that's okay? He's getting paid FOUR million a year.

Really? You're saying that if Saban doesn't have Bama competing for an NC every year in FIVE years then that's okay? He's getting paid FOUR million a year.

he'll be long gone in 5 years...

For anyone who has ever majored in Psychology, it's obvious that Saban is an introvert in an extrovert's job. He's obviously insecure and ill at ease with in a public setting, particulary with the media. His defensive attitude comes out when he feels threatened or challenged. He cannot even bring himself to look at the camera when on the spot. He must be more comfortable with the players than anywhere else because he can obviously coach, recruit and communicate with them. Tubs on the other hand seems to be at ease and confident in any situation.

Only the ignorant, infatuated Bammers would accept that jibberish. If he was good, he would answer like politicians by sequeing into what he wants to talk about.......Oh!....I forgot.......he doesn't want to really talk about any of it.

I think if we as bama fans can give him 5 years

Like that's ever gonna happen

he'll be long gone in 5 years...

Dude, what are you talking about? Don't you know that he's the second coming of the BAHR???? He'll be there for LIFE! He is TAHD AND TRUE oh don't you know! He LOVES BAMMERS with all his heart and considers Tuscaloosa HOME! Bammer is BACK BABY!!!!!! BAMMER IS BACK! :rolleyes:

If Saban is at Bama 5 years from now, I will be surprised. If he's there 10 years from now, I will be shocked.

If Saban is at Bama 5 years from now, I will be surprised. If he's there 10 years from now, I will be shocked.

You may be right, but I think that he will leave because of his age and wanting to retire rather than because he is unhappy here or we are unhappy with him.

I do have a question though. Auburn fans give Coach Saban and Bama fans a hard time about him promising a National championship. Didn't Coach Tuberville promise you guys the same thing, ten years ago? Getting close only counts in horseshoes, and there is no guarantee that you would have won the game if you had been asked to play. I expect a coach to say that they will bring a National championship to Xschool. Who would want a coach to promise, "hey we'll win a few games every year".

You may be right, but I think that he will leave because of his age and wanting to retire rather than because he is unhappy here or we are unhappy with him.

Saban makes those around him unhappy including himself after awhile so him leaving for another NFL stint or some other school wouldn't SHOCK ME especially if Saban has under-achieved in a few years and Bama fans are getting on his case. He will not like being treated as such and will fight back causing tension which would cause him to go somewhere else. He is a very sensitive guy as much as he gives off the tough-guy act which he does well.

As for promising NC's, every coach does that and Tubs should already have one. Any other year that AU goes undefeated, they are in the NCG except for 2004. If UGA has its 2002 season in 2003, we are in the NCG. If UGA has its 2005 season in 2007, we play in the NCG.

Sucks but that is the way it is I guess in college football

I do have a question though. Auburn fans give Coach Saban and Bama fans a hard time about him promising a National championship. Didn't Coach Tuberville promise you guys the same thing, ten years ago? Getting close only counts in horseshoes, and there is no guarantee that you would have won the game if you had been asked to play. I expect a coach to say that they will bring a National championship to Xschool. Who would want a coach to promise, "hey we'll win a few games every year".

Well, as far as I'm concerned tuberville brought auburn a national championship in 2004. You can agree or disagree, I couldn't care less. You know as well as any of us do that if uat had done (or ever does) what we did in 2004 and has the same thing happen to them, they will UNDOUBTEDLY claim a NC. You know....the ole: "if a laundry mat....." speech...

Now, saban will be at uat no more than 3 years, but I could very honestly see him leaving as soon as after this season.

Well, as far as I'm concerned tuberville brought auburn a national championship in 2004. You can agree or disagree, I couldn't care less. You know as well as any of us do that if uat had done (or ever does) what we did in 2004 and has the same thing happen to them, they will UNDOUBTEDLY claim a NC. You know....the ole: "if a laundry mat....." speech...

Now, saban will be at uat no more than 3 years, but I could very honestly see him leaving as soon as after this season.

We have done what you did in 2004(undefeated season) and more than one time and was not awarded the MNC and we don't claim those years either. Other schools have gone undefeated before, and Auburn was not the first to do it.

I don't see how fans from other schools(other than LSU) can predict anything about what Coach Saban thinks. We don't know how he thinks, so I certainly don't think that you do.

We have done what you did in 2004(undefeated season) and more than one time and was not awarded the MNC and we don't claim those years either. Other schools have gone undefeated before, and Auburn was not the first to do it.

Undefeated in 1945 and 1966 does not equal undefeated in the SEC in 2004. The NCAA scholarship limitations drastically leveled the playing field between these two time periods.

A particular National Championship of the 12 you do claim came with 2 losses (1941 with losses to powerhouses Vanderbilt and Miss State) and that doesn't exactly make much sense either. The AP had Bama at #20 in the nation that year. 14 teams in the top 20 had a better record that year. Thank you Football Thesaurus (that's who awarded it to you retroactively).

Archived