"Most Powerful Coach" or "Most Desperate Team"

AUisAll

The way I understand it, $aban and UA came to agreement on $$$$ and in principal when he left Miami (in January I believe). The hoopla began. "We love him", etc. The love fest gains momentum. THEN WHAT HAPPENED?

I believe it was May or so that year that $aban, Sexton and UA sat down to finalize the contract. I pray that the next time I am in a contract negotiation I have $aban's position. He could get anything and I mean ANYTHING he wanted. What was Bammer going to do? Tell him no on something and he decide to leave. LMAO. Have you ever heard the expression, "got em by the balls"? UA had to agree to everything and I mean EVERYTHING he asked for.

If he isn't the most powerful man in sports, he is either not very smart or needs to fire Sexton.

The Most Powerful Coach in Sports article is about Saban's business prowess. Forbes is a business publication. Even the article subtitle says "nobody plays the coaching business better than Nick Saban: Is he worth it?"

If you can put aside the AU blinders for a moment, he is pretty smooth if you think about it. He left when he was on top of the mountain at LSU, to go to the NFL. Then he salvaged an utterly disastrous career by coming to Alabama and making more money than he would ever have made anywhere else, given free reign with no questions asked. Despite taking the program south so far, they worship him.

If that is not business prowess, then I don't know what is. The article is right, but it is not about Alabama football. It is about Nick Saban the business man.

The Most Powerful Coach in Sports article is about Saban's business prowess. Forbes is a business publication. Even the article subtitle says "nobody plays the coaching business better than Nick Saban: Is he worth it?"

If you can put aside the AU blinders for a moment, he is pretty smooth if you think about it. He left when he was on top of the mountain at LSU, to go to the NFL. Then he salvaged an utterly disastrous career by coming to Alabama and making more money than he would ever have made anywhere else, given free reign with no questions asked. Despite taking the program south so far, they worship him.

If that is not business prowess, then I don't know what is. The article is right, but it is not about Alabama football. It is about Nick Saban the business man.

Thank you. That is my point exactly. If he can't negotiate in an environment where the other side has NO CARDS, then he isn't very smart or needs to fire Sexton.

That's why I say it could have just as easily been "The Most Desperate Business". Or "How Not to Negotiate".

as CircleDrill said, from a business standpoint (which college football IS a business nowadays), CNS made out smelling like a rose. its no big secret that coaches coming from the college ranks tend to hate being a head coach in the NFL once they get there.....we needed a coach, and he needed an out to get back into doing something he loves. i don't think it could have worked out better for both sides, really.

I also think his pic with that smug grin is perfect for the tone of Forbes and the content of the article in every way.

in the same article listing top programs by revenue generated and net profit, auburn is ranked ahead of alabama by like $1.8 million if i remember correctly

Yea, i agree with you. I think that most are missing the point here. Its not saying Saban is an amazing coach, yada yada yada.....its saying he is a business man and he puts himself in a really powerful position time and time agian. I think Saban is a good coach, as of now. He is not in the top 10 or maybe not top 15 right now in the NCAA.....can that change....it can, will it...time will tell. Either way, Saban is a great business man. Thats what college football has turned into, a business.

Yea, i agree with you. I think that most are missing the point here. Its not saying Saban is an amazing coach, yada yada yada.....its saying he is a business man and he puts himself in a really powerful position time and time agian. I think Saban is a good coach, as of now. He is not in the top 10 or maybe not top 15 right now in the NCAA.....can that change....it can, will it...time will tell. Either way, Saban is a great business man. Thats what college football has turned into, a business.

That's exactly right. From what I have read of the article, does it even talk about football, X's and O's, recruiting or anything? Or does it just talk about Saban putting himself in powerful, wealthy positions, like you said?

as CircleDrill said, from a business standpoint (which college football IS a business nowadays), CNS made out smelling like a rose. its no big secret that coaches coming from the college ranks tend to hate being a head coach in the NFL once they get there.....we needed a coach, and he needed an out to get back into doing something he loves. i don't think it could have worked out better for both sides, really.

It has worked out well for AU too...Our Coach OWNS him!

That's exactly right. From what I have read of the article, does it even talk about football, X's and O's, recruiting or anything? Or does it just talk about Saban putting himself in powerful, wealthy positions, like you said?

Im not saying Saban is a great man or whatever, but his business sense is to me, one of the best of all coaches. I mean hell, he gets 4 mill a year to beat UA's rivals and besides that he has rock star status with bama fans. In all seriousness, he personally isnt rivals with LSU, UT, or Auburn....but if he wins...he gets money.

Think about this, even if he doesnt produce a "great" bama team, he will still end up with some serious cash if he leaves, gets fired, or retires. Thats a pretty sweet deal to me.

Hopefully though he will get many contract extentions and only lose once to LSU and Auburn. :poke:

Had to put my bama fan view into it.

But, Ears aint on the cover.

And we are still wondering if crapshisdrawers will ever contribute anything of value to the board, or just continue putting up his little 5th grade insults... nice work hotshot... :thumbsup:

Archived