Recruiting Work

kwagoner

Someone explain this to me. Perhaps I am just dense. I keep reading posts about how we need to "work harder" or our coaches are being "outworked" in terms of recruiting.

What exactly is "work" when used in this context.

Seems to me that you find the players, tell them what your plans are for the team and them as an individual player, invite them to campus and show them around, and the follow up and encourage them to pick you. The end result is that someone makes a decision off of what they have been told and what they have seen. This is not like working out, increasing productivity at your job, or perfecting your free throw. All of those are directly influenced by how hard you work, not the choice of someone else.

I know that the methods in which you do this may affect it some, but I can't see it being as big of a deal as it is made out to be on here.

Someone explain this to me. Perhaps I am just dense. I keep reading posts about how we need to "work harder" or our coaches are being "outworked" in terms of recruiting.

What exactly is "work" when used in this context.

Seems to me that you find the players, tell them what your plans are for the team and them as an individual player, invite them to campus and show them around, and the follow up and encourage them to pick you. The end result is that someone makes a decision off of what they have been told and what they have seen. This is not like working out, increasing productivity at your job, or perfecting your free throw. All of those are directly influenced by how hard you work, not the choice of someone else.

I know that the methods in which you do this may affect it some, but I can't see it being as big of a deal as it is made out to be on here.

Selling the program to recruits. Making them feel that they will fit in and benefit from the experience. It's not as easy as it may seem. Just like a salesman, they have to be persistent and ruthless. I do think that Tuberville is a good recruiting, but Saban is a great recruiter. I just feel that Tuberville needs to step it up a notch.

A couple of years ago, Eddie Gran spoke at a Men's Club meeting at our church and took questions. He recruits the South Florida area (or did at that time). It definitely sounded like work and it also sounded like his biggest nemises was exactly what we're doing now. He said they'd get a commitment from a kid and a week later. rumors are flying around internet message boards and that the player is waivering and next thing you know, he's back on a plane to Miami to see where he stands.

These coaches have to organized and very proactive to keep up with recruiting.

Selling the program to recruits. Making them feel that they will fit in and benefit from the experience. It's not as easy as it may seem. Just like a salesman, they have to be persistent and ruthless. I do think that Tuberville is a good recruiting, but Saban is a great recruiter. I just feel that Tuberville needs to step it up a notch.

That part is what I don't get. If a salesman is "Too persistent and especially ruthless" while I'm buying a car, family pack of T-bones, or strolling through a department store he misses out on my business. Primarily b/c it is my choice as to what I buy and I don't want to hear too much crap from him. I can get him to tell me why I should buy a Camry from him as opposed to an Accord down the road, but once I hear what I need, the call is mine.

That part is what I don't get. If a salesman is "Too persistent and especially ruthless" while I'm buying a car, family pack of T-bones, or strolling through a department store he misses out on my business. Primarily b/c it is my choice as to what I buy and I don't want to hear too much crap from him. I can get him to tell me why I should buy a Camry from him as opposed to an Accord down the road, but once I hear what I need, the call is mine.

Right, but this isn't buying a car or a family pack of T-bones.

This is a decision that will determine their entire life. The football program is their only ticket to the NFL. In addition to that, the academics must fit the personality of the player. If one coach emphasizes academics more than another coach, then a prospect concerned about academics will choose the coach who shares the same feelings.

There are many issues to work out when choosing a program. Perhaps it's a distance problem. Take Rodney Scott for example. He might come to Auburn and realize that he wants to be closer to home. Because of this, he does not do well in school, and it affects his performance on the field.

The coach has to think of innovative ways to sell a program. If Tuberville went to Rodney Scott's house for 20 minutes to say, "We're not that far. It's only a couple of hours driving distance," then he wouldn't be working very hard to sell the program.

Look at the analogy this way. You are HS student that is allowed to be GIVEN one car and there are substantial benefits for the Car Dealer (giver) if you accept THEIR car over all of the others. You happen to be the most eligible, highest profile possible recipient of a car in the nation. Every car dealer in America wants to be the one to give you the car. Initially, you happen to be a grounded person, but soon all of the attention starts to change your opinions and even challenge your values. There are even magazines and internet boards where fans with nothing else to do speculate as to which car you will select...all the while hoping that you select their favorite dealer.

What does that "salesman" do to "work harder"?

Some sale things they can't deliver...the one thing most recruits say about AU is that they will be given a "chance" for playing time. Or that we are thin at cornerback( for example), and if you come in and work hard we could see you playing some next year. But we never promise a starting position or definite playing time. Which is what some make it a habit of doing. Well, that and taking credit for other teams success.

II teach in a high school which sent a player to Auburn last year. (I got to get my picture taken with CTT and it is the screen saver on my computer.) I spoke with the football coach about his opinion of the SEC coaches. (In the 10 years I have been there we have had 4 SEC and 4 ACC players.) He described them as this:

CTT: honest, tons of character, knows a lot about football, Good Man.

Fulmer: Fraud, who must rely on his assistants for football knowledge

Saben: Absolute maniac. Now one will outwork this guy. He is a freak.

I asked him who he would like his son to play for and he said: Auburn or UGA

Archived