David Pollack on Rodney Garner

Tiger1992

I'm sure those that live in the Atlanta area know David Pollack (ex-UGA stud, ex-Bengal until his neck injury) joined 790 The Zone in Atlanta awhile back and works the 4-7pm show with Mike Bell.

Yesterday they were talking a bit about the cluster#%# going on in Auburn and the fact that Garner has indicated he's interested and has been interviewed. Pollack said that aside from being a great recruiter, he's a damn good D-line coach. HOWEVER, Pollack also said that Garner couldn't be a coordinator because he couldn't call defenses and probably doesn't know a cover three from a nickel package, that he knows what he knows and that's pretty much all he knows. (I'm not sure if they have links to previous shows or not, but if so, it was sometime between 5-5:45pm est yesterday.)

I've said in other posts that I wouldn't want Garner as our HC because of the trail of slime he's left over the years. As far as I'm concerned, this is another reason not to want him. The HC doesn't have to be the best X's and O's man in the world, but he has to at least be familiar with them. I know Garner's a great recruiter (see comment regarding slime trail), but I sure as hell wouldn't want a head coach who isn't even capable of being a coordinator because he doesn't have the knowledge. I know Tubbs became more of an administrator/HC over time, but he made his bones as a DC and still knows his stuff on defense.

That's my 2 cents on why I don't want Garner.

I'm sure those that live in the Atlanta area know David Pollack (ex-UGA stud, ex-Bengal until his neck injury) joined 790 The Zone in Atlanta awhile back and works the 4-7pm show with Mike Bell.

Yesterday they were talking a bit about the cluster#%# going on in Auburn and the fact that Garner has indicated he's interested and has been interviewed. Pollack said that aside from being a great recruiter, he's a damn good D-line coach. HOWEVER, Pollack also said that Garner couldn't be a coordinator because he couldn't call defenses and probably doesn't know a cover three from a nickel package, that he knows what he knows and that's pretty much all he knows. (I'm not sure if they have links to previous shows or not, but if so, it was sometime between 5-5:45pm est yesterday.)

I've said in other posts that I wouldn't want Garner as our HC because of the trail of slime he's left over the years. As far as I'm concerned, this is another reason not to want him. The HC doesn't have to be the best X's and O's man in the world, but he has to at least be familiar with them. I know Garner's a great recruiter (see comment regarding slime trail), but I sure as hell wouldn't want a head coach who isn't even capable of being a coordinator because he doesn't have the knowledge. I know Tubbs became more of an administrator/HC over time, but he made his bones as a DC and still knows his stuff on defense.

That's my 2 cents on why I don't want Garner.

I'd be fine with him on the staff, but it would have to be the same capacity he is in now - and he wouldnt be likely to move laterally.

Oh, and a cover 3 can be run out of a nickel package. It works fairly well in NCAA09. :P

I really believe that Garner and Nix were given interviews as a courtesy to increase their name recognition and that they are not serious candidates. I don't have a lot of faith in Jacobs, but surely even he would not give the position to either of them.

Archived