Ken Griffey JR

BZ770

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/2010/06/ken_griffey_jr_retiring_from_b.html

He's one of the last of my childhood stars I looked up to. I'm sure he'll be a first round HOF pick.

No doubt on the HOF. I was suprised the Mariners signed him for one more year, especially after he demonstrated he couldn't really contribute every day last season. He really didn't deserve to have to exit like this but it's a credit to him that he took himself out.

It reminds me of the way Mike Schmidt retired back in 1989...he played a little bit of that season, realized he just didn't have it anymore and retired immediately. Schmidt was a lock for the Hall and I feel like Griffey will escape enough of the taint of the steroid era to get in as well.

It reminds me of the way Mike Schmidt retired back in 1989...he played a little bit of that season, realized he just didn't have it anymore and retired immediately. Schmidt was a lock for the Hall and I feel like Griffey will escape enough of the taint of the steroid era to get in as well.

Well they said on ESPN that Griffey has never been mentioned or ever had his name on a list of performance enhancing drugs so he's one of the few in MLB that hasn't used them.

It's a shame he was injured a lot the last 5-6 years or he might have over 700 HR's and would have been close to Hank Aaron's record.

Look at his stats. Take away the time he was injured and he absolutely would be ahead of Aaron/Bonds. I mean look at '02, '03, and '04 - 41 homers in 206 games.

Archived