Aubrey Phillips Update

AUSportTalk

Big Time 2009 Offensive Lineman is set to visit the Plains tomorrow.

Aubrey Phillips is set to visit Auburn tomorrow and meet with the coaching staff to see if he can enroll at Auburn in the fall.

Sportstalk, what happened to him and Florida State?

I am not sure what exactly is going on with him and FSU but it doesn't look like a very good situation so he is looking elsewhere.

I heard that he left due to being lazy, and weight issues. Let's hope this is not the case. This is one of the "big guys" that I really wanted last Feb, and if we have a chance to get him now, that would be great.  :we:

Folks, I know we need OL, but I hope the staff passes on this guy.  He committed to TN last year, then stated publicly that while he was still committed to TN, that would change on NSD.  Huh????  Then he set about taking visits and getting Auburn and Arkansas up in a lather about him before signing with Florida State.  He was told after NSD to lose 25 lbs before coming to campus.  Instead, he gained 20 and showed up out of shape and lazy.  So now it looks like he's put himself back out there to see who bites.  I've seen this guy play in person and I can tell you he's all size and nothing else.

Well Coach Yox is the best in the business for a reason.  I say we take him, work his a$$ off and if he can cut it fine...if not get rid of him.  He can help us recruit Olive Branch's Damien Robinson for us, whom we need.

Question...would he have to sit a year?  He did participate in voluntary workouts.

Folks, I know we need OL, but I hope the staff passes on this guy.  He committed to TN last year, then stated publicly that while he was still committed to TN, that would change on NSD.  Huh????  Then he set about taking visits and getting Auburn and Arkansas up in a lather about him before signing with Florida State.  He was told after NSD to lose 25 lbs before coming to campus.  Instead, he gained 20 and showed up out of shape and lazy.  So now it looks like he's put himself back out there to see who bites.  I've seen this guy play in person and I can tell you he's all size and nothing else.

I can tell you that most recruits do that.  Not to that extent, but they try and get as much fun in before they have to go up there and kill themselves.  My best friend sat around all summer before going up to BC.  I told him all summer that he was going to go up there and die.  Sure enough....first day of practice rolled around and he called me and told me he wish he had listened.  So I honestly dont blame him for that.  As for being all size...look at Eric Mack.  He doesnt do anything but throw people on their butts, because he is all size  ;D

THE big question is can he join the team THIS YEAR? Or does he have to sit out? I thought that b/c FSU got put on probation that he is able to opt out of his scholly there and enroll elsewhere without having to sit out a year.

THE big question is can he join the team THIS YEAR? Or does he have to sit out? I thought that b/c FSU got put on probation that he is able to opt out of his scholly there and enroll elsewhere without having to sit out a year.

I dont think it really matters b/c he will be redshirted if he doesn't have to sit out b/c of his weight issues.

Ya'll remember this, though.  You can't always believe everything you hear.  I have heard the story about his weight and laziness has quite possibly been blown way out of proportion.  Also, several folks that I have heard from have seen him on campus today and say he looks like he's in good shape.  IMO, we are no position to not give him a shot unless he's a "cancer to the lockerroom" kind of guy.  From all I hear, that is not the case.  He may be young and in need of a little motivation and direction, but who wasn't at that age.  I think our coaches will make the right decision.

Ya'll remember this, though.  You can't always believe everything you hear.  I have heard the story about his weight and laziness has quite possibly been blown way out of proportion.  Also, several folks that I have heard from have seen him on campus today and say he looks like he's in good shape.  IMO, we are no position to not give him a shot unless he's a "cancer to the lockerroom" kind of guy.  From all I hear, that is not the case.  He may be young and in need of a little motivation and direction, but who wasn't at that age.  I think our coaches will make the right decision.

Good post, man!!  :tdau:

:thumbsup::zapbama:  Yea great post, We do need the big men and let the coaches do their job, that is why they get paid the big bucks.  I confidence in this coaching staff, they know what they are doing....co84 WDE :happydance: :happydance: :happydance::hellyeah::yay::hellyeah::yay::hellyeah::yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :tdau::zapbama::beatmullet:

Ya'll remember this, though.  You can't always believe everything you hear.  I have heard the story about his weight and laziness has quite possibly been blown way out of proportion. **waraueagle quote

Apparently Charles Goldberg of the B'ham News agrees with you about the out-of-shape part.  He stated in the comment section of his Phillips' blog, "hardly an expert, but he didn't seem to be terribly out of shape to me."

Even if he's overweight/out of shape, we can redshirt him. It probably will help him in the long run anyways. Same thing if he isn't eligible to play this year, he gets a year to shape up and learn the offense. I don't think we should be too worried about his current condition. Yox is one of the best in the business and we know what he can do when he's in shape. Trust the coaches. I hope we snag this kid.

He says that eventually he will tell what happened between him and FSU and I could see it as something along the lines of them making promises that they were going to go back on.  They might have told him that they wouldn't redshirt him and then told him they changed their minds as soon as he showed up sparking him to bolt.

I can't see them letting him go due to conditioning unless he failed his physical completely.

He says that eventually he will tell what happened between him and FSU and I could see it as something along the lines of them making promises that they were going to go back on.  They might have told him that they wouldn't redshirt him and then told him they changed their minds as soon as he showed up sparking him to bolt.

I can't see them letting him go due to conditioning unless he failed his physical completely.

At least not on the first offense.  I know that one of the main reasons Branden Ore was cut from Virginia Tech a couple of years ago was because he refused to show up for offseason workouts twice.  So I agree, it is unlikely, but not impossible.  I am actually surprised that he is looking into Auburn again, considering the no nonsense laws Chizik has laid down.

It was reported last night on ABC 33/40 that he was given a full release by FSU. He could play right away if needed in other words.

It was reported last night on ABC 33/40 that he was given a full release by FSU. He could play right away if needed in other words.

Thanks for the info. I wonder all the questions the coaches have for this young man.

He could but the school of his choice has to fill out a bunch of paperwork for his to be eligible to play in 2009. I think Auburn is looking to redshirt him anyway so I think it is beneficial of him to just sit out in 2009 and get back in shape.

Archived