SEC Tourney

au-wareagle

Since we lost to Bama and some how USC knocked off Vandy at Vandy, Bama gets the W4 seed and we fall to W5. In six years with Lebo we have only finished in the top half of the west once. This is unacceptable. We'll play Florida in the first round and then if we win we'll play MSU in the second round. It is possible for us to make it to the SEC semis depending on what Auburn team shows up. Problem is both Florida and MSU will be playing must win games for the NCAA. Any chance we will get invited to the NIT and if we do, should we accept the invite? If we do get invited and play, BEMC could host a few more basketball games.

Guest War Eagle 29

I hope Jay Jacobs has already started his search for a new bball coach. I am sure we won't be the only school looking and we need to get the best coach possible.

You no longer have to be .500 to be invited to the NIT. My question is if we accept an invite to the NIT it will just delay the Lebo decision and it will take time away from conducting a coaching search. On the other hand, it will give our backups more playing experience and while the NIT is not your goal, its better than going no where.

You no longer have to be .500 to be invited to the NIT. My question is if we accept an invite to the NIT it will just delay the Lebo decision and it will take time away from conducting a coaching search. On the other hand, it will give our backups more playing experience and while the NIT is not your goal, its better than going no where.

I don't know of any teams that have been sub-.500 to go to the NIT.  You may be right, but we would have to win THREE games to be .500 in D-1 games, which I believe is the biggest stat.  Also, the NIT reserves spots to conference champions that didn't win their conference tournaments.  Coastal Carolina and Coach Ellis will take one of the 32 spots in the NIT since they lost today.  Don't count on Lebo making it to the NIT, but I think the CBI and collegeinsider.com tourneys could be a distant possibility, they have had teams with losing records. 

I think we should turn down any tournaments however and concentrate on hiring Auburn's next basketball coach.

In 2006 NIT ended the .500 rule, but it has yet to take a team below .500. I would turn down the CBI and college insider and I am leaning toward turning down an NIT bid if offered. What if Lebo is fired after the SEC tourney but allowed to coach in the NIT if we're invited. That way we could have a coaching search, get the younger guys more playing experience, and let potential coaching candidates see us play on national tv.

Well, we are at #141 on the RPI scale right now, (RPI of 0.517), so I would think unless we won at least 2 games in the tourny against better teams, that isn't going to change much.  I hope we get invited just because I like to see Auburn match up with teams we don't usually play. 

:dunno:

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-team

I dont expect us to get by Florida either, but last year Florida was in the same position when we played in the tourney and we beat Florida, so it gives me a little optimism. But if the team that played yesterday showed up, then it doesnt matter how bad Florida plays, they will still win.

I don't think we will get past Florida but I will say that by losing to Bama yesterday I think we got the better deal. I would personally rather play Florida because if we were to luck up and win then we know we can beat Miss. St. to get to he semis. On the other side we would have had to play S.Car and if we won we would have to play Kentucky which would be a loss 99 out of a 100 times. Seems like we actually got a better deal by losing.

If Tay and Lucas both show up we can beat any team. The problem is this year we have been unable to get both going. I think if those two show up and show some senior pride like Vot, Rasheem, and Tez did last year we could make a little run.

Archived