Spotlight on Melvin Ray

StatTiger

On this play Auburn will show a run look, facing a second down. The Tigers come out in a 2-WR set with both TE's on the field.

Ark-RayTD_zps6d5b5dc5.jpg

Just before the snap the boundary corner will begin to edge towards the line with the intent to blitz off the edge. Jeremy Johnson will play-action with Cameron Artis-Payne, knowing he has an open receiver in Melvin Ray. Johnson delivers his pass over the blitzing corner as Ray utilizes his vertical advantage to haul in the quick pass from Johnson.

The safety comes in late and Ray is able to break the 1 on 1 tackle attempt. After breaking the tackle, Melvin Ray speeds down the sideline for a 49-yard touchdown and the first Auburn score of the season.

I had a great feeling about Ray and Grant when they came to the program. They are both exceptional talents that left Alabama for Auburn via different routes. Grant proved me right last year and Ray finally came out in the BCS game last year. They are both going to be great this year and hopefully both will score 2 or more touchdowns vs Bama!

I looked at this as a read on the CB, either they knew Arky would bring CB blitz or playing the option knowing the CB was coming up to support the run? Either way, JJ and Ray executed it perfectly.

Archived