UAB Football...on the way out?

AU64

Is the UAT Board slowing strangling UAB football?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/former_uab_football_players_co.html#incart_most-comments

Of course if some of the recent court cases hold up and the pay-for- play business spreads, that might be a good move for the school. And, it also might be the first of many smaller football schools dropping the sport.

This shouldn't surprise anybody. uat has been undermining that program for decades. They block coaching hires and anything else they can do to prevent uab football from being relevant. Their insecurity is so high that they undermine one of the universities in their own system? Yep, pretty much. Arrogance and insecurity= uat.

It does not surprise me at all because UAB could be turning a corner this year. They are one win away from being bowl eligible with two very winnable games ahead. Coach Bill Clark has them going in the right direction and the PTB at uat don't want that. The UA System will do something to derail the UAB program. Go Blazers!

A co-worker is a UAB grad and he has bemoaned how the PTB at UAT have kept the program down for years.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/05/concern-over-future-of-uab-program-growing/

Concern over future of UAB program growing

Despite being on the verge of the first bowl-eligible season since 2004, there is some real concern about the state of the UAB football program building among boosters and former players. Boosters for the program have addressed their concerns to the president of UAB, stating it is their belief the Board of Trustees could be preparing to shut the football program down after the 2016 season.

In a letter written by the UAB Football Foundation and addressed to UAB President Ray Watts, the UAB booster program expressed concerns about head coach Bill Clark not having a contract beyond 2016 and the football program not having any future games scheduled beyond 2016. These two oddities help to suggest a lack of a long-term vision for the program. The foundation says the board has been reviewing data related to the athletics program in an effort to potentially shut down the football program. Football programs can cost a lot of money to operate, and for many outside of power conferences it can be a struggle to turn a profit.

Considering most coaches are given at least a four-year contract when they take over a program, Clark’s three-year deal comes off looking strange. It is also a little strange to see UAB without any future non-conference match-ups scheduled beyond 2016. Charlotte, a new program joining Conference USA in 2015, has multiple non-conference games scheduled for each season through at least 2019. Every other school in Conference USA has at least one non-conference game scheduled through at least 2018, and most have games set for 2019, if not later. In a day when college programs lock up non-conference match-ups years in advance, UAB not having any games set after 2016 is odd.

What the future holds for UAB is unknown. A program competing at the FBS level just falling off the face of the college football map is rare, but not unprecedented. Pacific was the last FBS school to shut down its football program, doing so following the 1995 season. Hawaii has been another program thought to be in some danger as well.

This year, UAB is one win away from becoming bowl eligible for just the second time since moving up from the FCS ranks of college football.

You can see the letter from the UAB Football Foundation via Underdog Dynasty.

They did kill UAH Hockey only to bring it back when things got noisy and money started showing up to keep the program going. If it isn't UAT based and costs a substantial sum of money, it will be killed and eaten.

UAB football going to be a victim of success...maybe as long as it was not a threat for recruits and attendance...it was OK...just keep the loses small and don't win too many games. But now.... OMG....the possibility of a bowl game....can't allow that.

They did kill UAH Hockey only to bring it back when things got noisy and money started showing up to keep the program going. If it isn't UAT based and costs a substantial sum of money, it will be killed and eaten.

I used to love going to UAH hockey games back when they were DII and won the NC. That was fun. Loved the channel cats too.

I thought I read where UAB had petitioned for a charter or some such to become a seperate entity in football - in essense financially seperate from the UAT program?

IMO, if UAB can raise their own funds and stay in the black financially with their football program then they can do whatever they want. Hell, UAB should get together with the city of B'ham and build that dome we've all been hearing about for years. Support yourself and no one can stop you from chugging right along ~ but when you have to beg, borrow, and kow tow to another entity for funding be prepared to get denied.

I still think if UAT believes UAB hurts them, Auburn should schedule a game with them and give them a healthy check for a beat down. UAB supportors might actually appreciate the bump in revenue and give Auburn a smidge of presence in Birmingham. Looks like it might not happen now. =/

I loved my time at UAB, especially going to football games. They've been on the verge of being decent several times and can easily be a 6-7 win a year team constantly if we are able to do what we want and hire who they want to hire. I can see it being profitable if UAB moved to a safer stadium and got some hype.

Until they get an on-campus stadium, they will never reach their full potential. There are so many people willing to go watch UAB, but refuse to go to Legion Field. They have had and have talent. Darrell Hackney and Roddy White were on the same team at UAB. I believe that Coach Clark has what it takes to get the players. However, their facilities are killing them. I graduated from UAB in 2003 and have gone to a few games. It is just very difficult to take the program seriously with the stadium they play in.

Until they get an on-campus stadium, they will never reach their full potential. There are so many people willing to go watch UAB, but refuse to go to Legion Field. They have had and have talent. Darrell Hackney and Roddy White were on the same team at UAB. I believe that Coach Clark has what it takes to get the players. However, their facilities are killing them. I graduated from UAB in 2003 and have gone to a few games. It is just very difficult to take the program seriously with the stadium they play in.

That's why the PTB won't allow it to go through.

UAB has done tons for the city. It would be great if the City of B'ham were to invest back into UAB. UAB should easily have the land to provide.

But as a tax paying resident in the state of Alabama, I don't want my tax dollars going towards building UAB a new stadium.

Is Regions Field not available for Fall events? Or is UAB somehow bound to the City of B'ham and its lease with Legion Field?

I don't know if you can set that up for football to work. I know you could put the field down but I'm not sure how the seating would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Regions Field not available for Fall events? Or is UAB somehow bound to the City of B'ham and its lease with Legion Field?

I don't know if you can set that up for football to work. I know you could put the field down but I'm not sure how the seating would work.

Wouldn't work because D1 stadiums have to have a minimum capacity of 30,000. Regions only seats 8,500. UAB can survive in football given the resources. The main thing is getting out of Legion Field. It's depressing to go to a UAB game there. Terrible outdated venue.

There is going to be a bill in the legislature to have equal representation from each school in the UA system on the board. That would be a big help to UAB.

Seriously, it's the better school.

I still think if UAT believes UAB hurts them, Auburn should schedule a game with them and give them a healthy check for a beat down. UAB supportors might actually appreciate the bump in revenue and give Auburn a smidge of presence in Birmingham. Looks like it might not happen now. =/

Would be a good idea. Without independence, though, I doubt UAB could deposit that check without BBjr's signature on the back.

The bill being proposed to the AL House is from John Rogers (D-Birmingham), who is universally regarded as a dunce in Alabama Government. http://blog.al.com/archiblog/2008/01/alabama_rep_john_rogers_out_to.html

I would fear his initiative will not gain any traction because of the perception by other lawmakers that Rogers will want to install himself and his cronies on the board. I wish the cause had another proponent. But, as long as Bentley is the governor, it won't matter what the legislature does or doesn't do to save UABFB.

I think the UAB insiders are on to something. But, to quote the Bourne Legacy, "You better ask yourself this; could you ever say it loud enough, or fast enough, that they be too afraid to finish what they started?"

Wouldn't work because D1 stadiums have to have a minimum capacity of 30,000. Regions only seats 8,500. UAB can survive in football given the resources. The main thing is getting out of Legion Field. It's depressing to go to a UAB game there. Terrible outdated venue.

There is no rule about the capacity. Idaho is D1 and their stadium seats 15,000. I agree that Regions probably wouldn't work, but the Hoover Met would.

Archived