Random Thoughts....

wesfau

Just watched the CSS replay and here are my random thoughts (in no particular order):

1) You rarely see two teams as evenly matched as AU and LSU were on Saturday. They had Vincent and Broussard as their slasher and bruiser, respectively. We have Carnell/Ronnie in the same spots. Across the board, on offense and defense, almost every statistic was a dead heat.

2) Mix and Brown are the hardest guys on our team to tackle. They refuse to go down on the first contact.

3) I love Carnell's takeaway from Webster.

4) Our first string defense has surrendered 9 points in 12 quarters. All of those came from the defending national champions.

5) Our offense scored 10 points against the best defense (apart from UGA possibly) that they will face all season.

6) Given #4 and #5, we should feel pretty good about both our offense and our defense.

7) I love our new LBs. Replacing Dansby and Thomas is an almost insurmountable feat. These guys are far from those heights, but they are showing fantastic promise.

8) Campbell's performance should silence his critics. He put that team on his shoulders and he won the game. Mucho props to Taylor for catching those two balls.

9) Armchair coaching notes: 4th and goal from the 3, down 6 points, I was screaming for the FG. Ditto on 4 and 12 from the 30. I was wrong, but those were ballsy calls.

10) PATS.....the football gods giveth, and they also taketh away. LSU used up all their juju against OSU and the call was proper.

A great win, now let's focus on UT. They look much better than I would have thought with a frosh QB

A great win, now let's focus on UT. They look much better than I would have thought with a frosh QB

You are not joking, AU @ Tenn is going to be a tough test for AU. I think we win, because of Caddy and Brown, but much like the LSWHO game its a close one.

You are not joking, AU @ Tenn is going to be a tough test for AU. I think we win, because of Caddy and Brown, but much like the LSWHO game its a close one.

It'll be a tough game, but the LSU defense is much, much, much better than the UT defense. We win in Knoxville playing ball control. Our defense can handle them.

Despite all the euphoria, we sputtered at times against LSWHO. UT will be our biggest challenge so far, count on it. The crowd plus the UT team will provide us with a significant challenge. IF we can pull this one out, the sky is the limit for us and I have a feeling we just might do it. ;)

Yeah the game being late and on the road is not an ideal setting but I really think with CW and RB we can take a good part of the fans away from the game early by running all over them.

Florida was able to run pretty well. Passed fairly well too. Here were the stats from Florida:

Rushing 35 carries, 135 yds, 1 TD, 3.85 ypc

Passing 22 of 31, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 13 ypc

421 yds total offense

6.4 yards per play

Notable individual efforts (rushing)

Fason 15 carries, 79 yds, 5.27 ypc

Wynn 15 carries, 58 yds, 3.86 ypc

Notable individual efforts (passing)

Jackson 1 catch, 81 yds., TD

Now, Florida has a better passing game than we do, but they ran fairly well anyway, especially Fason. We are much better in the running game.

I think this will be a tough game, but in terms of defense, we just faced probably the best one we'll see all year.

If we just faced the best defense that we will see all year, then I think we will be able to handle Tennessee as long as we jump on top early and don't let them drive down the field like LSU did to us on their first possession. That would be a huge disadvantage playing away and at night. Our D has got to step up that first play and pretty much the whole first half and then let the offense show the rest of the SEC what the West Coast Offense is all about.

I agree with ya'll about the LSU D I think they are by far the best we will face. UGA is second but thier secondary is young and we may be able to explot that. I think if we play with the intensity that we played with this week against UT we will beat them pretty convincingly. Thier 2 QBs are good but UF secondary is also young and I think that is where they had the advantage of throwing the ball.

I think our secondary is better than UF. But our D has to get more pressure on the QB than they did against LSU. I know we had a few sacks, but we can always use more. And IMO, the UT QB tandem is better than the LSU tandem. Ainge doesn't look like a freshman. We should be able to have a better running game against them compared to LSU, and the passing game will be about the same. JMO, for what it's worth.

After watching the replay, I realized how close the FG was for us. I mean, it went right over the goal post. If they were taller, it would have hit it.

Actually, the first time I saw it, I thought he missed it. Did anyone else think that?

He DID miss it... between the idiots who officiated this game and the idiots that officiated the Fla-UT game, something needs to be done. I know the home office is in Birmingham and Bama gets EVERY call, but to make calls that affect outcomes is ridiculous. If you watch a replay, you see number 8 take a couple steps..jump, and the line surge winds up under him...in no way was it trying to use leverage. What's to stop teams from sending one man out there to get under a leaping defender, just in case the kick fails.

BTW, the two best teams in the conference just played last saturday, and it WASN'T in Knoxville

He DID miss it... between the idiots who officiated this game and the idiots that officiated the Fla-UT game, something needs to be done. I know the home office is in Birmingham and Bama gets EVERY call, but to make calls that affect outcomes is ridiculous. If you watch a replay, you see number 8 take a couple steps..jump, and the line surge winds up under him...in no way was it trying to use leverage. What's to stop teams from sending one man out there to get under a leaping defender, just in case the kick fails.

BTW, the two best teams in the conference just played last saturday, and it WASN'T in Knoxville

You mean, that you, a LSU fan, are convinced that he really did miss it and you are complaining about a referee's call.

I never thought I'd see the day.....

He jumped straight up in the air huh? :lol::lol: We all know how that line surges so far forward on ep's :o :roll:

Thanks for coming over and chatting. We love to see corndogs cry! It makes our day :lol: .

Archived