Auburn has some tricks for Tennessee

quietfan

I just love surprises, don't you?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...49487153510.xml

Auburn has some tricks for Tennessee

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Safety Junior Rosegreen says Auburn is working on something special to slow down Tennessee's offense Saturday, but he's not letting out those state secrets.

"We're going to do some good things, that's all I can tell you," Rosegreen said. "We're going to have some fun out there."

Fun for Rosegreen and the rest of the defense could be a chance to rattle two freshmen quarterbacks with blitzes and a variety of confusing defensive formations. Not so fun for the defense is the prospect of chasing around the tall, fast receivers while keeping an eye on the running game.

Auburn will counter with the nation's No. 2 scoring defense, quick linebackers, an experienced secondary and perhaps some deception against the young quarterbacks.

"There's a lot of disguising coverages," says Auburn cornerback Carlos Rogers. "Some of the older people still can't understand what kind of coverages we're in, anyway."

I'm sure CAB has saved a few tricks on the offensive side of the ball as well.

:thumbsup::au:

I have no doubt that Auburn will be setting up for some tricks to play on the young QB's. I hope our offense is ready. It all comes down to what it always comes down to though line against line.

If UT picks up the Blitzes good things will happen. if not, watch out Auburn will have a field day.

I would throw this little nugget to Tiger fans though, dont be surprised if you see Ainge and Schaeffer in on a few shotgun formations at the same time or something like that. I think we will see tricks from both sides. Like I have said before, I think this is a BIG game this year. HUGE implications and a set up for the rest of the year for either school that wins....

WOW this is why I love the SEC! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phat Phil actually try to pull of a little trickery. Seeing Schaeffer AND Ainge in the backfield at the same time would be a scary sight.

Having said that, I think Phat Phil would only go for the LOOK. He's scared to death to actually DO any kind of trick plays. WAAAAAAY too conservative, that guy.

Dude,

You know you are very right on that. The strange thing he didnt used to be. For many who may remember he was the Offensive Coordinator late 80's and early 90's

Back then Reverses and end arounds and a few flea flickers were out there. You just dont see that anymore. Must be hotter in the captains seat..

:roflol:

It sometimes makes me wonder if it's really HIM that's too conservative or is it John Chavis? I've heard A LOT of Tennessee fans wonder the same.....

Granted, CTT was known as the Riverboat Gambler when he came here, but he's laid off of the whole trick play thing. I appreciate a trick play every now and again, but I'm glad he's not as likely to use them over the past year or two.

I hope we do something to spice up our defense. It has been very vanilla in the first 4 games. No aggression whatsoever.

I would throw this little nugget to Tiger fans though, dont be surprised if you see Ainge and Schaeffer in on a few shotgun formations at the same time or something like that. I think we will see tricks from both sides. Like I have said before, I think this is a BIG game this year. HUGE implications and a set up for the rest of the year for either school that wins....

WOW this is why I love the SEC! :thumbsup:

105998[/snapback]

There has been so much focus on Ainge and very little discussion about Schaeffer. When Schaeffer is in, I'm concerned about our DE's losing containment on Little Vic.

I gotta agree with Stat on this one. Our containment on mobile QB's has been questionable at best. I didn't like the way the MSEWWW QB got out of the pocket and ran for a first down a few times.

I don't think that our defense is vanilla, though. I think we use our blitzes very wisely this year as opposed to years past. We seem to use more blitzes later in the game after we've shut them down with coverage for most of the game. Consider the fact that LSU blitzed almost EVERY down against us. Yes, it worked to disrupt quite a few plays (like the screen passes that we couldn't complete all day), but in the end, their defense had holes all over the backfield. Thank God Courtney found 'em!!!

I hope we do something to spice up our defense. It has been very vanilla in the first 4 games. No aggression whatsoever.

106004[/snapback]

They were pretty aggressive against the :corndog: 's. Just ask Marcus Randall. He's probably still trying to walk off the pain of that Bret Eddins hit :cheer: .

Somebody needs to tell the AU Football team that standing up to pee is not a trick, we have been doing it for years. :blink::big:

All joking aside...

I am sure both teams will be ready, and it will be a great game.

Seeing Schaeffer AND Ainge in the backfield at the same time would be a scary sight.

106014[/snapback]

C'mon now! What's really scarrier: The #2 defense seeing 2 freshman quarterbacks on the field at the same time for a handfull of plays or the #60 defense seeing 2 senior running backs (both of whom will be drafted in the first 40 picks) on the field at the same time for the majority of the game?

:cheer: <--- I'm more scared of this thing than of those two QB's at once.

WDE! :au:

anyone remember the defense that bill oliver through at manning in sec championship game?....it worked but the little runt and his offense couldn't handle the pressure.....remember, all 11 on the line?....it blew mannings mind

106038[/snapback]

If we had a running game that year, there is no telling what that team could have accomplished.

Bowden didn't like those big backs who were too fast. :blink:

I would throw this little nugget to Tiger fans though, dont be surprised if you see Ainge and Schaeffer in on a few shotgun formations at the same time or something like that.....

105998[/snapback]

Interesting idea. What is your opinion on something like that? If I was a UT fan, I'd be scared to death having Ainge in there with no QB rules to protect him. A blocking QB always makes me hold my breath, especially with a shifty runner.

I'm sorry but I don't think they would ever put two freshmen qb's in for the same play. Unless they line shaeffer as a wide out, but anyone with an ounce of intelligence would know what they are going for. If two qb's are in the game there will probably be two passes or a pass from the wide outqb, just common since. It wouldn't work, it's also too risky for this big a game. They would be better off reversing to a wideout thats not listed as a qb and passing off of that. I still don't understand why one is not redshirting or why they both came knowing that the other was there. Not smart, one is probably gonna want to transfer in the next couple of years.

SURPRISES, part II:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...53572165630.xml

Auburn set to unleash rest of the West Coast

Thursday, September 30, 2004

AUBURN -- Auburn has played four football games and fans are absolutely, positively in agreement that offensive coordinator Al Borges has run all the elements of his West Coast offense in only one of them.

Or not.

Auburn coaches aren't exactly saying. Did Auburn run all the trickery of the West Coast offense in last week's easy win over The Citadel when it ran and passed at will, or has it really only been trotted out for the win over LSU when the Tigers lined up in multiple formations and won on the final drive?

"We've still got a lot of things we haven't run," said Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville.

As close as the LSU game was, I'd have thought we'd have tried all our arrows. But if CAB has some new ones left in his quiver, that's just fine with me.

I'd love to think that CAB still has some plays in his arsenal that nobody has seen. I think with UT's questionable defense, a couple of surprise plays, and an outstanding game by the Defense, we should be just fine in Knoxville. All of those are big if's, but I'm confident we can do it.

WAR EAGLE AND BEAT THE VOLS!!!

There has been a ton of variety this year on offense. I am confident CAB will shake things up eve more

Archived