The John Needham Commentary

King Tiger Tank

http://webpages.charter.net/jcneedham/latech2004.mp3

War Eagle to the Great Auburn Nation! My name is John Needham and these are my commentaries. The Louisiana Tech Game 2004.

Well, War Eagle! What could be better than being at Jordan-Hare Stadium on a Saturday afternoon? How about being five and OHHHHH!

Floats! Navy and orange colored tissue paper! Chicken wire! Ply board! Crowns and pretty ladies! What do all these things have in common? That’s right! You guessed it! It’s Homecoming in Auburn!

War Eagle! Alumni of the Auburn Family Welcome Back and Welcome Home! From Huntsville to Mobile, AL from Atlanta, GA to Jackson MS, they come back every year. Homecoming! It’s the feeling you get when your mama tells you she’s go’in to fix your favorite meal! Whether you’re young or old, Homecoming in Auburn is not to be missed.

Homecoming has always held a special place in my heart. For some people, Homecoming is a time to think back and reflect. It’s also a time spend with friends and family. Let me place some emphasis on that last part. Family.

As a student in the late 80’s at Auburn, my mother, Doris Needham would always drive down to Auburn and meet her twin sister, Dorothy. My Aunt Dorothy would drive down from Atlanta and get a room at the Heart of Auburn and my mother and I would meet her there.

Before the game, I would put on my finest suit. Who remembers dressing up for homecoming? I do! One of the things I remember about past Homecomings, especially in Auburn, was how formal it was. Can’t say that now. I miss that. Anyway, next I would drive over to local florist and pick up their homecoming mums. Who remembers picking up homecoming mums? The big white flower with a navy blue “H” attached to it’s center. I do! Let’s not forget the red rose we would get for ourselves. I always had a devil of time trying to pin that thing on to my lapel. It would always drive me crazy.

Next, I would drive over to the Heart of Auburn. I would knock on the door and my Aunt Dorothy would answer. “War Eagle” she would say or “There’s my John!” and then she would just give me the biggest hug. Remember those!

She would always bring enough food but the biggest thing I always got out of it was watching my Mother and Aunt talk. At times they looked like two dachshund hounds playing with one another. If you know what I mean. You could tell they really loved each other.

She gone now, my Aunt Dorothy. She crossed over the river in 1995. She loved Auburn and she loved her family, especially her sister.

So, message to you, the Auburn Family on the Eva of this Homecoming 2004 is simply this: Decide to spend time with your family and make a few memories.

War Eagle! War Eagle Forever! Beat Louisiana Tech and Here’s to going six and OHHH!

Archived