U.S. Open Golf

augolf1716

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Speith looked like he was gone for the weekend ....and then birdied 4 in a row to get close to the cut line. 

And Poulter triple boggied a hole to lose three strokes to Dustin who is up by 3 over a couple guys who are making a little push.   Rory and some other others have heated up....but too late perhaps...

Bad playing for him he had been very steady until then but that's what happens at the Open. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Bad playing for him he had been very steady until then but that's what happens at the Open. 

unforced errors....a triple without a penalty stroke....looked like some guys I was playing with earlier today...:)

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

and 

Two golfers under par....Dustin at -4 and Poulter -1.....and looks like nobody can putt the greens....never saw so many 5-8 foot putts missed since my round was over this morning...cups are like they are a mirage...

Looking like 9 of 10 over will be the cut ( I had predicted 12)…..Speith is probably done,  Tiger, Matt Kuchar, Bubba, Adam Scott, Jason Day and Rory... and Ernie Els...lots of well known golfers not gonna make it. 

Wow. I’ll be able to watch this weekend. Does the Open always play this difficult? I don’t recall 

13 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Wow. I’ll be able to watch this weekend. Does the Open always play this difficult? I don’t recall 

Not always

15 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I know the networks are pissed that the Tiger hype won’t saturate the weekend.

It would have been great for getting viewer but he's just is not the same. I'm amazed he can play at this level with 3 back surgeries and I'm no tiger fan

5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I know the networks are pissed that the Tiger hype won’t saturate the weekend.

Tiger is good for the audience.....TV and on site...but he's probably lost a little of his magic since he's not been a factor in the majors for quite a while....but he has a following like Arnie and Jack and people will come out to see him play mediocre golf ….just to see him.....but TV is optional of course.  

Aside from Tiger, some other guys will big followings are not going to be there either.....Phil barely made the cut but is 10 strokes behind and Dufner is 8 strokes behind but does not get much TV time unless he is close to the lead because of his bland demeanor.

Dustin might save the ratings.....lots of folks like to watch a player who can hit the ball almost 400 yards and get himself into and out of trouble to keep things exciting.   Otherwise, I looked down the leaderboard and much as I love to play golf, there are only about 4 or 5 guys who made the cut that I would walk across the street to watch play golf .....and I'm totally unlikely to waste several hours watching them on TV.....:dunno: 

Bring on the CWS....

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tiger is good for the audience.....TV and on site...but he's probably lost a little of his magic since he's not been a factor in the majors for quite a while....but he has a following like Arnie and Jack and people will come out to see him play mediocre golf ….just to see him.....but TV is optional of course.  

Aside from Tiger, some other guys will big followings are not going to be there either.....Phil barely made the cut but is 10 strokes behind and Dufner is 8 strokes behind but does not get much TV time unless he is close to the lead because of his bland demeanor.

Dustin might save the ratings.....lots of folks like to watch a player who can hit the ball almost 400 yards and get himself into and out of trouble to keep things exciting.   Otherwise, I looked down the leaderboard and much as I love to play golf, there are only about 4 or 5 guys who made the cut that I would walk across the street to watch play golf .....and I'm totally unlikely to waste several hours watching them on TV.....:dunno: 

Bring on the CWS....

Lets see what happens tomorrow with Dustin. If he makes it until Sunday with a big lead it could be over but I still have my doubts. Poulter really screwed up for a decent race. Dustin length is a huge advantage as long as he can keep the putter half way decent

Phil with a MAJOR gaff....over-hit a putt that was headed off the side of the green and probably set to roll about 30 yards....and he ran over and hit the ball while it was still creeping toward the margin of the green.... kept it on the green and then finished putting out.  Took a 2 stroke penalty but likely ended up with an 8 or 9.  

His professional buddies were apoplectic over the actions.  He is out of the running but not a good time to pull a stunt like that.  

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Phil with a MAJOR gaff....over-hit a putt that was headed off the side of the green and probably set to roll about 30 yards....and he ran over and hit the ball while it was still creeping toward the margin of the green.... kept it on the green and then finished putting out.  Took a 2 stroke penalty but likely ended up with an 8 or 9.  

His professional buddies were apoplectic over the actions.  He is out of the running but not a good time to pull a stunt like that.  

I stepped out for a minute and saw where he posted a 9 on a par 4 and wondered what happened.  So he hit while it was still rolling?  That sounds like something I would do with my buddies when it means nothing. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

I stepped out for a minute and saw where he posted a 9 on a par 4 and wondered what happened.  So he hit while it was still rolling?  That sounds like something I would do with my buddies when it means nothing. 

Yep....they recalculated and it's a 10.....was a frustration shot probably but might have saved himself a stroke by doing it.....expect you will see it about a dozen times this weekend.....and the next putt he hit was as funny.....putting up hill toward the hole from quite a distance and deliberately hit it about 6 or 8 feet past the hole to the top of the green and then allowed the ball to roll downhill back toward the hole.....looked like one of his trick shots.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....they recalculated and it's a 10.....was a frustration shot probably but might have saved himself a stroke by doing it.....expect you will see it about a dozen times this weekend.....and the next putt he hit was as funny.....putting up hill toward the hole from quite a distance and deliberately hit it about 6 or 8 feet past the hole to the top of the green and then allowed the ball to roll downhill back toward the hole.....looked like one of his trick shots.

That was wild.  I just rewound and found it.  I think that was his way of a protest against the USGA and their set up for this weekend.  I would love to know what he and Beef weee talking and laughing about after he finished the hole. 

What is this stuff with putts rolling up to the cup and then rolling backward a half turn or so at the end of the run?....seen a couple of those and balls meandering along not holding a line.   JMO..but greens not looking like you would find at a major.

Meanwhile DJ lost his lead in just 5 holes.. .sometimes has trouble on his 3rd rounds I think.  Putting is BAD...

This just isn't fun to watch.  For Zach Johnson to say the course is gone, that tells you how the players really feel.  I would not be surprised to see many more golfers come out tomorrow with criticism of the USGA. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What is this stuff with putts rolling up to the cup and then rolling backward a half turn or so at the end of the run?....seen a couple of those and balls meandering along not holding a line.   JMO..but greens not looking like you would find at a major.

It's like putting on a tile floor.  The ball rolls straight for a little bit then jumps right or left or backwards on some putts.  Fleet wood just putted one about 4 feet going straight in then suddenly moves right.  It wasn't the break of the green either.   Azinger is now making excuses for the course, blaming the poor play on the players.  

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This just isn't fun to watch.  For Zach Johnson to say the course is gone, that tells you how the players really feel.  I would not be surprised to see many more golfers come out tomorrow with criticism of the USGA. 

Yep...USGA on the defensive again....think they have forgotten that the game is about the players and not the golf courses....greens are about unreadable and best players in the world can't putt them or keep a ball on them.    This kind of golf does not do much to aid the popularity of the game....

funny how some of the guys who were way down the leaderboard after yesterday are now near the top of the board.....conditions early were quite good and notice several scores in the 60s including a couple 66s and now they right in the mix. 

The late afternoon wind just ruined the games of the last 7 or 8 groups.  DJ and Koepka seemed to be the only exceptions.  I look forward to seeing what tomorrow at Shinnecock brings.  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...USGA on the defensive again....think they have forgotten that the game is about the players and not the golf courses....greens are about unreadable and best players in the world can't putt them or keep a ball on them.    This kind of golf does not do much to aid the popularity of the game....

Agree. I think Mickelson should withdraw from the tournament (borderline ruling that could have easily been a DQ) after his stunt but use his press conference to blast the USGA for the course setup. The did the same thing at Shinnecock last time the US Open was there: made a historic, beautiful golf course borderline unplayable and, frankly, the tournament not very fun to watch.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

The late afternoon wind just ruined the games of the last 7 or 8 groups.  DJ and Koepka seemed to be the only exceptions.  I look forward to seeing what tomorrow at Shinnecock brings.  

Can't recall a serous tournament with so many players in position to win though many are pretty much no-name players..      Still think DJ and BK are the class of the field..but this might be the kind of event that Reed will win.....he's pretty fearless.    Yet,  it would not surprise me to see a play-off though nerves might enter into the calculation if several guys playing together or in consecutive groups are tied or within a stroke or two of the lead. 

Archived