Boston declares racism a public health emergency, will give police overtime to community programs

Auburn85

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/502546-boston-declares-racism-a-public-health-emergency-will-give-police-overtime

Boston has declared racism a public health emergency and will divert funds meant for police overtime toward community programs.

Mayor Marty Walsh (D) announced the change on Friday and posted the plan on Twitter. According to the new initiative, 20 percent or about $12 million of police overtime funds from the 2021 fiscal year overtime budget will be reallocated to "community programs for youth, for homelessness, for people struggling with the effects of inequality.”

“The health impacts of historic and systemic racism are clear in our COVID-19 case numbers,” Walsh said. “And the impacts go far beyond this current crisis.”

“We’ll be backing this declaration with an initial investment of $3 million that’s going to be transferred from the police overtime budget to the Boston Public Health Commission,” Walsh announced. “The health commission will work with our city’s departments, including our police department, on strategies to directly assess any impacts of racism have on the lives and the health of Boston residents.”

The Boston police commissioner welcomed the mayor's reforms and said police are being over-relied on for small disputes, according to a report from MassLive.com.

“Quite frankly, what I’ve heard in the community is we wear too many hats anyway,” Boston’s Police Commissioner William Gros said. " A child doesn’t want to go to school? You call the Boston police. A child’s on the bus being unruly? You call the Boston police. There’s an emotionally disturbed person in a home? You call the Boston police. How many hats do you want us to wear?"

The new reforms also include the creation of a task force to carry out the changes and plans to look at more proposals for police reform that are part of the viral "8 Can't Wait" campaign.

Boston's announcement comes as police departments and lawmakers across the country face pressure to address racism in law enforcement and to prevent police brutality in the wake of the death of George Floyd

Protests have erupted nationwide and globally after Floyd, a black Minneapolis man, died in police custody.

If the billions that have been poured into such programs since 1965 weren't productive, why does he think a few paltry millions will make any difference?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

If the billions that have been poured into such programs since 1965 weren't productive, why does he think a few paltry millions will make any difference?

"Billions"? 

Can you back your claim that Boston has spent "billions" on community health programs?

On 6/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, homersapien said:

"Billions"? 

Can you back your claim that Boston has spent "billions" on community health programs?

Trillions, nationwide. I never limited my remarks to Boston and there was no mention of the money going into health programs. Effect of the coronavirus was mentioned, but that was an aside. Community programs was the statement.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, Mikey said:

Trillions, nationwide. I never limited my remarks to Boston and there was no mention of the money going into health programs. Effect of the coronavirus was mentioned, but that was an aside. Community programs was the statement.

Trillions, nationwide?  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Trillions, nationwide?  :rolleyes:

Several trillions. From Head Start back in 1965 through today's many programs, trillions have been spent on trying to improve this situation. By now it should be apparent that throwing a few million or billion more at that wall isn't going to make any difference. The opportunities are already there for those willing to take them.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Several trillions. Fromf Head Start back in 1965 through today's many programs, trillions have been spent on trying to improve this situation. By now it should be apparent that throwing a few million or billion more at that wall isn't going to make any difference. The opportunities are already there for those willing to take them.

BS

Funding for Head Start in 2018 was less than 10 billion.  I haven't found the total cost since the program's inception but it's certainly no where near "trillions".

And the program has made a large difference in providing enhanced opportunities to thousands of people who certainly don't enjoy the life opportunities of the more wealthy.

Getting and staying behind in educational level is not going to provide a child anything like an equitable opportunity in life.  And it benefits all of us indirectly.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Several trillions. From Head Start back in 1965 through today's many programs, trillions have been spent on trying to improve this situation

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Funding for Head Start in 2018 was less than 10 billion.  I haven't found the total cost since the program's inception but it's certainly no where near "trillions".

Are you illiterate? Here, I've highlighted the important point that apparently went over your head. Head Start is just one of many, many programs designed to address the problem of urban poverty. All told, many trillions have been spent.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you illiterate? Here, I've highlighted the important point that apparently went over your head. Head Start is just one of many, many programs designed to address the problem of urban poverty. All told, many trillions have been spent.

Show some data instead of just pulling biased thoughts out of your ass.

And prove these programs have been ineffectual - as you imply - while you're at it.

Just now, homersapien said:

Show some data instead of just pulling biased thoughts out of your ass.

And prove these programs have been ineffectual - as you imply - while you're at it.

One probably sort of maybe reliable source I saw weeks ago claimed 22 trillion over the past 55 years. That's so far over the "trillions" mark that I won't bother to look farther.

Prove the programs have been ineffectual? They haven't been entirely ineffectual, many people who wanted to pull themselves out have become prosperous citizens. The programs provided the steps on the ladder and the willing have taken advantage of those steps. See Dr. Ben Carson for a good example.

That the community programs have been ineffectual overall is proven by today's headlines. The headlines about the murders by police aren't the headlines I'm talking about. The 18 murders in Chicago on one day last week are what I'm referencing. Had the community programs worked we wouldn't be seeing that number. https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/6/8/21281998/chicago-deadliest-day-violence-murder-history-police-crime

Archived