Softball vs Arkansas 2022

1 minute ago, AU1947 said:

We should have played a better nonconference schedule. Seriously....What were we picked to finish in the SEC again? 

Picked to finish 11th in the SEC. We're over exceeding expectations by a lot so I can't be upset with us losing games against top ranked teams. Just sucks when it's our pitching that's costing us games since I and everyone else assumed that would be the strong point of this team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

HUGE DOUBLE PLAY!!!! To the batter that had hit 2 homeruns already!

https://twitter.com/AuburnSoftball/status/1512594398520832003?s=20&t=lLaz7KLE0pWMARbKGrounder back to Dismkes! Throws to 3rd for out 1 and to 1st for the 2nd!!

Lisenby, Garcia, Godwin coming up.

7-4 Arkansas T6th

That's an extremely difficult DP that we made look easy.  Perfect combo of circumstances, right back to pitcher and slow runner from right handed batter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Never know what's gonna happen.  We lost 17 SEC games last year.  4 runs would have won eight of those.  Is Lowe still hurt, or have things gone psychological?

I believe both Lowe and Yarborough are injured from what I heard last weekend in Auburn... and doesn't matter how hard you throw if you can't move it and make a batter chase at pitches.. or get base hits. Homeruns are nice but need singles, doubles etc to generate runs offensively. It was a bad night all around....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Picked to finish 11th in the SEC. We're over exceeding expectations by a lot so I can't be upset with us losing games against top ranked teams. Just sucks when it's our pitching that's costing us games since I and everyone else assumed that would be the strong point of this team.

We are currently 8th......

Edited by AU1947

5 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

We are currently 8th......

We're still exceeding expectations. We're 4 games up on the current 11th place team. Only .5 game back from being 3rd. Florida didn't play tonight and they're playing Alabama this weekend so they could easily lose all 3 games. We're only 1.5 games back from being in 1st. Gotta pitch Penta on Friday's though so we can have her for two games.

Lowe doesn't have it right now and I think until she gets over whatever issue she is having we might need to start Dismukes and have Lowe coming on in relief.

• Like 1

Pitching has to be a concern at this point. We can't rely on Penta to carry us too much without fatiguing. Our offense is still young and still inconsistent in league play. Looks like Lowe has kind of stepped back to the #2 role we expected when she was recruited here for. Hopefully Sam can help alleviate the workload that our main pitchers have carried to this point.

16 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Stupidest effin rule in all of baseball and softball. I don't care if they never touch any base. If someone hits a homerun it shouldn't matter what bases they touch. SMH

I don't have a problem with the rule - I have a problem with a player with as much experience as a D1 ball player who doesn't touch home and her teammate who isn't paying enough attention to make sure she does.  There's a reason they stomp on the plate when they get there.

• Like 5

Just getting home from work. Will edit this post with the updated score while I eat. :)

Edit: Completely different lineup today for the Tigers.

Peralta is leading off, followed by Lisenby, Blaine, Garcia, and Ellis. Packer gets moved from the leadoff to the 6 hole. Cox, Smith, and McCondichie close out the lineup with Penta on the mound.

Edited by tgrogan21

Peralta strikes out swinging.

Lisenby doubles! And then moves to 3rd on a wild pitch.

Blaine walks and Lisenby scores on another wild pitch.

Garcia flies out. Ellis walks. And Packer pops out.

1-0 Auburn B1st.

Penta gets the first 2 out and then gives up a walk and a homer. Getting out of the inning with 2 outs was a problem yesterday and has carried over today. :(

A strike out ends the 1st.

2-1 Arkansas T2nd

Cox lines out.

Smith walks on 4 pitches.

Hit and Run! McCondichie with a single to 3B. Runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

New pitcher for Arkansas.

2 hours ago, warladytigers said:

I don't have a problem with the rule - I have a problem with a player with as much experience as a D1 ball player who doesn't touch home and her teammate who isn't paying enough attention to make sure she does.  There's a reason they stomp on the plate when they get there.

Still hate the rule. It's a dead play so it shouldn't matter if you touch plates. But I still hate that she didn't touch home. I bet no one on the team will ever make that mistake again.

Another wasted opportunity by the Auburn bats as Peralta grounds into a double play to 3rd. If we're not hitting home runs we struggle bringing in runners with hits.

2-1 Arkansas B2nd

Penta retires the first two before an infield single to 2B. McCondichie made a nice backhanded stop but just couldn't get the speedy runner.

Strike out to end the inning! That's Penta's 3rd of the day.

Lisenby, Blaine, Garcia coming up for Auburn.

2-1 Arkansas T3rd

Lisenby strikes out looking. :(

Blaine fouls off 4 straight pitches with a 1-2 count but strikes out swinging. :( :(

Garcia with a 2 out single!

Ellis with another single! Just need one more hit to get a runner in!

Full count to Packer. Garcia with a delayed steal of 3rd! Ellis takes 2nd as well! Great job by Garcia!

Packer strikes out swinging. :( :( :( Still struggling getting those timely hits.

2-1 Arkansas B3rd

Penta gets the first 2 easily then gives up a full count walk. :(

Single and there are runners on 1st and 2nd. 

Single, run scores. :( Gotta get out of innings when there are 2 outs.

3-1 Arkansas

27 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Still hate the rule. It's a dead play so it shouldn't matter if you touch plates. But I still hate that she didn't touch home. I bet no one on the team will ever make that mistake again.

So you're saying that as soon as the ball goes over the fence, all baserunners and the hitter should just trot back to the dugout without rounding the bases and touching home plate.  So if a ball carrier in football doesn't have anyone close to him within 20 yards, he doesn't have to cross the goal line?  In baseball and softball you score after you touch all 3 bases and home plate.  Period.  D1 players should be concentrating enough to know that.

0-2 count and Penta hits the batter. Bases loaded with 2 outs.

Strike out swinging to get out of the inning.

Cox, Smith, McCondichie coming up.

3-1 Arkansas T4th

2 minutes ago, saminbama said:

So you're saying that as soon as the ball goes over the fence, all baserunners and the hitter should just trot back to the dugout without rounding the bases and touching home plate.  So if a ball carrier in football doesn't have anyone close to him within 20 yards, he doesn't have to cross the goal line?  In baseball and softball you score after you touch all 3 bases and home plate.  Period.  D1 players should be concentrating enough to know that.

Your example isn't comparable. It's still a live play in football. A home run is a dead play. There's nothing any team can do after a home run is hit except run the bases. I don't think we have to get rid of running the bases but it's stupid to take off a run cause a base was missed.

Beautiful bunt by Abby Smith. Safe at first.  Reminds me of Draper. Her first start today!!

Cox with a lead off single!  Cooper comes in to run for her.

Smith with a bunt single!!! Runners on 1st and 2nd 0 outs!

McCondichie strikes out. Peralta flies out. Lisenby grounds out. Absolutely horrible clutch hitting again.

3-1 Arkansas B4th

13 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Your example isn't comparable. It's still a live play in football. A home run is a dead play. There's nothing any team can do after a home run is hit except run the bases. I don't think we have to get rid of running the bases but it's stupid to take off a run cause a base was missed.

When you don't follow the rules, there are consequences.  I bet from now on, someone in the dugout will have that responsibility.  Should have had it already.  BTW.  Thanks for posting game observations.

Penta strikes out the first 2 but of course gives up a 2 hit single.

Line out to Peralta to end the inning.

Blaine, Garcia, Ellis up.

3-1 Arkansas T5th

Blaine with a 1 pitch ground out.

Garcia with a 4 pitch walk.

Ellis flies out on 2 pitches. :(

PACKER WITH A HOME RUN!!!!!

TIED GAME 3-3!

• Like 1

Cox with a 4 pitch walk!

New pitcher for Arkansas.

Smith with a full count walk! Runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs!

McCondichie grounds out to the pitcher.

3-3 Tied game B5th