*Buddy Alexander named Auburn men’s golf volunteer assistant coach*

augolf1716

This is very interesting seeing Buddy volunteer for Auburn golf. Buddy had great success at Florida actually winning two national championships and coaching there for 26 years before retiring. I did not realize his wife was the director of operations for both the men's and women's programs which I'm sure had a lot to do with he volunteering.

AUBURN, Ala. – Coaching veteran Stewart "Buddy" Alexander has been named volunteer assistant coach with the Auburn men's golf team, head coach Nick Clinard announced Tuesday.

"We are thrilled to have Buddy join our program," Clinard said. "He's proven himself as a coach time and time again and has succeeded at every level our sport has to offer. I have no doubt he will help our program continue in its quest for greatness."

Alexander joins the Auburn staff with over 30 years of coaching experience at the Division I level, most notably as the head coach at the University of Florida from 1988 to 2014. While at Florida, Alexander guided the program to eight SEC Championships and a pair of national titles in 1993 and 2001. He is a seven-time SEC Coach of the Year and three-time NCAA Coach of the Year.

Additionally, Alexander led Louisiana State University to a pair of SEC titles in 1986 and 1987 as the head coach of the program from 1982 to 1987.

"I am honored to be a part of the Auburn golf family," Alexander said. "I have become good friends with Nick (Clinard) and Chris (Williams) and look forward to contributing to their program. The team is full of outstanding guys who are loaded with talent. Auburn has been really good to Joan and I, and it is time to give back, in some small way, to the Auburn community. I have been out of coaching for a while, but I hope that my experience will help toward continuing the success and tradition of the program."

Golfers under Alexander's tutelage have produced 50-plus first team all-conference selections and 40-plus victories on the PGA tour.

A native of St. Petersburg, Florida, Alexander is a 1975 and 1980 graduate of Georgia Southern University where he was a two-time All-American as a student-athlete. He is married to Joan Alexander, who currently serves at the Tigers' director of operations for both the men's and women's programs, and is the father of Tyson Alexander, a current member of the PGA Tour, and Cortnee Gilchrist, the Director of the Spirit Squad at the University of Florida.

• Like 1