Men's Season Ends

LegalEagle

Once again the end of our men's basketball season ends and seems more like a blessing than a sad event.

Disappointing losses, disappointing crowds, same ol same ol. Many say AU just doesn't support basketball. I think that is not accurate. If we could put together winning teams, the crowds will come. Maybe we should pack the stands even though we lose almost every game. Show me another school that does that. We have to win more to get the crowds. Getting the crowds will give us an additional advantage in close games, so we will win more.

What will it take to win? I've seen a more disciplined team under Lebo, but numerous players have left. Is he such a task master that the game is no fun? Recruiting is difficult for him. Is it because no one wants to go to AU? Is it because of our facilities? Is it because of our coach? To win, you have to have talent, coaching, effort and chemistry. Much of our talent didn't play due to injuries, etc. Would we have made the NCAA Tourney if they had played this year?

What are your expectations for AU BBall? I expect them to be in the NCAA tourney almost every year. They can be in the middle of the SEC and accomplish that. When do you expect us to go to the NCAAs?

Your thoughts?

Well, of the ones that have left for reasons other than academic issues, I'd say that the issue of "task master" didn't have enough time to flesh out for them to know. Killingworth, Monroe and Curtis left before he'd even had a chance to establish anything, much less figure out whether he was a task master. And Curtis leaving had more to do with following a coach he was close to (who left for Ole Miss since Lebo was bringing in his own staff).

Toney Douglas was an ego thing. His father and he wanted Toney to play a different position than what Lebo felt fit the team's needs at the time.

Other than that the losses have been either academics (Brandon Robinson, Miaway) or injuries (Barber, Dollard, Sylla).

I think with Barber, this team wins probably 4-5 more games. With Dollard and Sylla thrown in, there's no telling. We probably would have won 6-7 more games. That's the difference between 14-17 and no postseason and a 20-11 or 21-10 mark and a possible NCAA slot and certainly an NIT bid. That would be nice progress from the previous year. And who knows, it could have been even a little better with all the pieces.

I think with all the injured back plus the new guys coming in, we should be knocking on the door of the NCAAs next season. I agree that Auburn should be good enough to make the tourney 3-4 times in a five year span. Next year should tell the tale on Lebo.

PChamp seems to think we just ran out of gas this year. :poke:

The injury bug sure seems popular with this team. I seem to remember some drill Lebo runs that he got from Izzo (I think). It's supposed to be pretty brutal, and according to Lebo, "I wouldn't want the players parents to watch that drill". Maybe the practices/conditioning need to change to lower the number of injuries. :gofig:

Lebo does seem to be very good with "X's and O's".

We'll see what happens next year.

Lebo is good with X's and O's, decent with recruiting, and terrible with luck/ injuries. If the latter can change for the better, Auburn will improve next year and contend for postseason play. If we are thin again, more of the same.

Archived