Churches in Auburn

WarAJEagle

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a church in the Auburn/Opelika area to start attending. She's Southern Baptist, and I'm Methodist. But we really don't care of the denomination as long as it is welcoming and not too big. We've been to Church of the Highlands, and it just didn't have the feel that we were looking for.

Any recommendations?

Thinking about trying Cornerstone Church tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

We worshipped at the Auburn church of Christ pretty much from 1992 ( when I started school) until we moved to Nashville in 2007. The people there are great!! I have heard really good things about Cornerstone. Main thing is to get hooked in somewhere where y'all are drawn closer in your walk with God & where loving others is a focus.

We worshipped at the Auburn church of Christ pretty much from 1992 ( when I started school) until we moved to Nashville in 2007. The people there are great!! I have heard really good things about Cornerstone. Main thing is to get hooked in somewhere where y'all are drawn closer in your walk with God & where loving others is a focus.

We went to Cornerstone and I think I was the only one who overall enjoyed the whole service. The pastor was great, but the services are all contemporary (full rock band) and I loved it. My girlfriend like the traditional services..... those put me to sleep. I think I can drag her back to Cornerstone though.

What is the difference between CofC and other denominations though? I'm always up for trying new places.

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a church in the Auburn/Opelika area to start attending. She's Southern Baptist, and I'm Methodist. But we really don't care of the denomination as long as it is welcoming and not too big. We've been to Church of the Highlands, and it just didn't have the feel that we were looking for.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t live in Auburn but when I visit family in town I go with them to First Baptist Opelika. I really like it there and their preacher Steve Scoggins. They have both contemporary and traditional services.

Auburn United Methodist has a contemporary service that's not so much rock but in the middle if you want to try that. I attend prefer not to have a churh "home" and go to different ones on a cycle. I like aspects of various denominations.

Hey everyone,

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t live in Auburn but when I visit family in town I go with them to First Baptist Opelika. I really like it there and their preacher Steve Scoggins. They have both contemporary and traditional services.

Went to FBO this morning. It was okay, but we went to the traditional service and wasn't my cup of tea. Scoggins was pretty good, felt like the sermon went on forever though. Might try the contemporary service another week.

We went to Cornerstone and I think I was the only one who overall enjoyed the whole service. The pastor was great, but the services are all contemporary (full rock band) and I loved it. My girlfriend like the traditional services..... those put me to sleep. I think I can drag her back to Cornerstone though.

What is the difference between CofC and other denominations though? I'm always up for trying new places.

Since the congregations are all autonomous each church of Christ congregation may be slightly different in practices from one just down the street. These are be basics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

Refusal to hold to any formalized creeds or statements of faith, preferring instead a reliance on the Bible alone for doctrine and practice;[8]:103[9]:238,240[10]:123

Autonomous, congregational church organization without denominational oversight;[9]:238[10]:124

Local governance[9]:238 by a plurality of male elders;[10]:124[11]:47–54

Baptism by immersion of consenting believers[9]:238[10]:124 for the forgiveness of sins;[1][8]:103[10]:124

Weekly observance of Communion[10]:124 on Sunday[8]:107[9]:238 (also referred to as "The Lord's Supper" or, in British congregations, the "breaking of bread"; all but "a very small segment" use unfermented grape juice instead of wine[12]:491); and

Practice of a cappella singing in worship.[9]:240[10]:125

• 8 months later...

This is old now, but try Focus Church. It is a small, intimate church and they meet at the BCM down town. I went there while in school at Auburn and up until I moved away ( :cry3: ) a couple of years later. Most will know the pastor, Matt Hawkins, for his time kicking for Auburn in the 90s. I was the same way, a bit star-struck at first. But l see him now for what he is - an awesome man, husband, and father. You will learn a lot from his messages and see his love for the Lord, and the people he is surrounded by. Even if you have found a church home, I would encourage you to visit.

When I first visited Church of the Highlands, I didn't like it. It took a while before I and my family visited there again, but when I went back something changed in me and we are now members. It's the only church that I have been to where the Holy Spirit's presence is just overwhelmingly felt. This church is incredibly blessed to have Chris Hodges as its leader and there is a reason it is growing by leaps and bounds. But you have to find a church where you feel comfortable and where you feel lead to be. Hope you find an awesome one!

If you like traditional, a new Anglican parish has started there called Church of the Good Shepherd that meets in the Auburn University Chapel right now. Sweet people. It's a church plant from Christchurch in Montgomery.

If you like traditional, a new Anglican parish has started there called Church of the Good Shepherd that meets in the Auburn University Chapel right now. Sweet people. It's a church plant from Christchurch in Montgomery.

Cool meting place for a liturgical service. I'm a member of the largest, most conservative ECUSA church in North America. There is a strong movement by the African Bishops and other smaller Anglican denominations to plant churches here. (Visited the Mission Chattanooga recently... very cool).

As far as congregationalism, fellowship and teaching goes Reformed University Fellowship is still one of the great organizations the Auburn community has to offer. This is the only on campus ministry I know about that requires leadership ordination and is sponsored by a local church.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I go to Lakeview. It is a large church but we have a 'small group' (mostly 20 somthings with a few 30 somthings) at our house on Tuesday night which is good for building community in a large church. Lakeview is a missions minded church.

Archived