2011 QB prospects

RunInRed

Bryan Matthews has the update...

Big-time QB visits AU

uzomah2+410.jpg

Suwannee (Ga.) North Gwinnett standout C.J. Uzomah is one of just four quarterbacks offered by Auburn.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pounder was on the Plains for a visit Friday as he tries to whittle down a long list of offers and move toward an early decision.

“I’m probably going to try and make an early commitment just because most quarterbacks do that,” Uzomah said. “If I feel comfortable enough at a place, I don’t want to have that spot taken.

“I know Auburn, they’re only taking one quarterback, and if I wait too long somebody else might commit. But I do want to be firm with my commitment and don’t want to jump into anything.”

Read more...

The four QBs AU has offered:

50985549.jpg

Jeff Driskel, Pro-style quarterback

Oviedo, FL

6'3 / 225 / 4.52

Offers: Arizona State, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida International, Illinois, LSU, Mississippi, Tennessee and Virginia Tech, among others.

KIEHLFRAZIER3_10150.JPG

Kiehl Frazier, Dual-threat quarterback

Springdale, Arkansas

6'3 / 212 / 4.57

Offers: Arkansas, Auburn, Cincinnati, Duke, Florida, Illinois, Kansas State, LSU, Memphis, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Western Michigan, among others.

CHRISTIANLEMAY7_22150.JPG

Christian LeMay, Pro-style quarterback

Matthews, North Carolina

6'2 / 200 / 4.59

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Miami (Fl.), Notre Dame, Tennessee and Texas A&M, among others.

179924.jpg

C.J. Uzomah, Athlete

Suwannee, GA

6'5 / 230 / 4.7

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Maryland, Miami (Fl.), North Carolina, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, among others.

Which QB would you like to see AU sign in 2011?

I hope this guy likes Auburn, I'd like to see him here. I don't know where he got the idea we'll only sign one QB. I'm pretty sure we're going to take more than one QB. Or putting it another way, if more than one of the four listed above want to commit, we'll be glad to take two or three of 'em!

I'm pretty sure Malzahn has stated we're only taking one in the 2011 class, which would give us 4 scholarship QBs (Newton, Trotter, Moseley and 2011 signee)- correct?

Uzomah has yet to prove that he is a QB.

IMO if he wanted to commit tomorrow and the staff let him; it would be as an ATH. I dont see them taking Uzomah as "the" QB in the class if Driskel, Frazier, Lemay are still available.

To answer the question; my preferred choice is Driskel.

I'm pretty sure Malzahn has stated we're only taking one in the 2011 class, which would give us 4 scholarship QBs (Newton, Trotter, Moseley and 2011 signee)- correct?

Your numbers are correct. Considering that whatever QB's sign in '11, they'll be in for a year of redshirting, two is not too many to sign.

If more than one of the players you listed above want to sign with Auburn, do you see us turning the second one down?

PS: Since I never really answered the question, if I could pick only one it would be Driskel.

I hope this guy likes Auburn, I'd like to see him here. I don't know where he got the idea we'll only sign one QB. I'm pretty sure we're going to take more than one QB. Or putting it another way, if more than one of the four listed above want to commit, we'll be glad to take two or three of 'em!

We were thinking the same thing about 3 running backs during the last recruiting season. <_<

Any chance we could get you to expand on this? Do you think a Pro-style QB is a better fit? Is it safe to assume, CGM may have moved on to a bigger opportunity by the time a signee in this class would see the field (2012 at the earliest)? Does that affect your opinion?

Any chance we could get you to expand on this? Do you think a Pro-style QB is a better fit? Is it safe to assume, CGM may have moved on to a bigger opportunity by the time a signee in this class would see the field (2012 at the earliest)? Does that affect your opinion?

I just feel that Driskel is the best overall package. Great size, fast release, terrific athleticism, smart, etc.

I dont look too much into the "Pro-Style vs Dual-Threat" thing. Yeah, Driskel is listed as "Pro-Style"...he also ran 4.5's in multiple camps/combines and is extremely athletic, so in reality he is just as mobile as every other QB we have offered. We're not talking Mike Vick vs. Drew Bledsoe here.

As for Malzahn leaving...again; I'm just looking for the best quarterback. I value passing over running every time from that position.

Ranking the guys we are after:

1) Jeff Driskel

Weakness: Polish

2) Christian Lemay

Weakness: Least "upside" because his frame doesn't look like it will allow for much growth.

3) Kiehl Frazier

Weakness: I am apprehensive about how the last few top QBs from Arkansas have fared.

4) CJ Uzomah

Weakness: Pure fundamentals. Again, he's probably not a QB in a very pro-styled offense.

Ranking the guys we are after:

1) Jeff Driskel

Weakness: Polish

2) Christian Lemay

Weakness: Least "upside" because his frame doesn't look like it will allow for much growth.

3) Kiehl Frazier

Weakness: I am apprehensive about how the last few top QBs from Arkansas have fared.

4) CJ Uzomah

Weakness: Pure fundamentals. Again, he's probably not a QB in a very pro-styled offense.

I wonder if they rank the same on the coaches board... Any one care to try put a percentage on any of these guys?

The one thing I noticed about all of them is their height. 6-2, 6-3, 6-3, 6-5....I like the taller kids in this offense.

AuburnSports.com is reporting Christian LeMay will be on campus today for an unofficial visit.

Andy Bitter reports...

Matthews, N.C., quarterback Christian LeMay, a top quarterback recruit for 2011, was at the practice. He's got offers from everywhere. It was interesting to see him chatting up with offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn on the sideline as Auburn's quarterbacks went through a series of drills. Malzahn seemed more interested in LeMay than what was going on on the field. I guess that's how you have to treat these recruits when they're in town.

Read more...

lemay.jpg

Photo Credit: Jay G. Tate

he was definitely here today, i saw him in lowder on a tour with his father and i believe another prospect from his school, but i'm not sure because i didn't recognize him. didn't get a chance to talk to him, i was already late to class and he was on a guided tour.

he was definitely here today, i saw him in lowder on a tour with his father and i believe another prospect from his school, but i'm not sure because i didn't recognize him. didn't get a chance to talk to him, i was already late to class and he was on a guided tour.

Gabe Wright was the other prospect Bryan Matthews has an update here...

BM also has a full update on Lemay's visit...

Talented QB visits AU

lemay1+410.jpg

Auburn has hosted a number of talented quarterback prospects this spring. And Wednesday, it was Matthews (N.C.) Butler standout Christian LeMay’s turn to check out the Tigers.

“It went pretty good,” LeMay said. “Just being able to meet the quarterbacks and hang out with Cam (Newton) and all the guys. It’s been pretty fun doing all that and also meeting Coach (Gus) Malzahn and Coach (Gene) Chizik and seeing what all this big Iron Bowl rivalry is about.”

One of the nation’s top overall prospects, LeMay has already trimmed his list of approximately 35 offers to a Top 10 that includes Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Miami and North Carolina.

With visits to Clemson, Georgia and Auburn this week, LeMay is working to trim his list to 5-7 this summer.

“From what I’ve seen so far, I got Clemson as one of my top five,” he said. “Georgia moved themselves into it. From what I’ve seen so far, Auburn seems like the third to be in it.”

Read more...

well the infamous NFL doug flutie/bernie kosar video comparison shows one needs more info than just height. flutie's RELEASE was actually higher than kosar's although flutie was almost 8 inches shorter. I don't think being from a particular state is a strong factor either.

Auburn has to recruit as if malzahn's our OC for the next 5 years. back to back bad offensive years in the SEC and he may be gone anyway and I don't mean to accept a promotion.

Archived