I feel compelled to get my "2 cents" in on Coach P. I grew up with JP and went to high school with him. Played ball with him, followed his career so allow me to state my opinion from someone who truly knows this great guy, competitor and baseball mind. It does bother me for some of the comments that I read for folks that must be caught up in the frustrasting moments of this season. JP is a great, great coach with an excellent reputation in both college and the major leagues. Last years team was truly an offensive juggernaut, but still lacked pitching depth. Nine of those young men realized their dream, and entered professional baseball. JP was very instrumental in alot of these young men's avenue into MLB. JP also brought us a west champsionship and a regional birth.  his involvement and dedication can be seen in the "Wall of Fame" as well as re-establishing relationships with Bo, and Frank Thomas. The man works 80 hour work weeks and yet finds time to visit his cancer-stricken daughter on a regular basis. True, its been a frustrating season, and I've read where folks thinks recruiting has been an issue. But if you look at whats heading our way, I think some people's minds will be changed. JP knows pitching and we will have quality pitching in here soon. Please remember that some of the pitching is still left over from Slater's regime. It takes time to establish a program how you want it. JP deserves all the time he needs. I really think if some patience is exhibited by so called fans, we will have a winning program year in and year out.      In the mean time, I think JP more than deserves patience and understanding. My hat's off to the hardest, classiest coach in D1 baseball

Thank you for posting your insight! I definitely know what type of coach Pawloski is and what he is capable of doing for Auburn. It takes time and I'm beyond excited to see this baseball team grow and mature under CJP over the next 4 years!

I do agree with giving Coach P time to build a program. It probably isn't fair to judge him until he's had a chance to recruit. And I don't think the team's troubles are totally his fault.

But I also think that possibly he could do a little more with what he's got, and maybe that's unrealistic of me. I compare him to Coach Barbee who truly had a bare bones team and still managed to instill a fighting spirit in those kids. I know basketball is a totally different game, but wanting to win is the key in all sports.

That's what we don't see in this team...the will to win. That would overcome a lot.

Having said all that...I still support Coach P, and this team 100%. Mostly I just hate the way things have gone for their sake. I'm not the one working hard for Auburn the way they are, and I know they don't want to lose games in the way they have lately.

I think Coach P. will have an improved team next season, and hopefully better pitching.

I am one who catches myself supporting Auburn coaches too much at times, but I love Coach Pawlowski.  I was certainly impressed with how well the team did last year.  I do think this year and next year we will be scrapping to make regionals but I truly believe we will make the sec tournament and regionals in 2011 and 2012.  I think by 2013 we will be at the point where we will be ready to compete for SEC championships every year.  I am really turned off by people that don't really follow baseball come in after a game like the UGA game on Sunday and complain about the program.  I support him 100%.

Well said!. I think the point im trying to drive into the audience is the true honest hard working coach that JP is. having the perspective of behind the scenes so to speak that i do, i see the recruit decisions, not only is it based on talent, but its based on charactor of the perspective AU player, their grades, family ect ect...he is very picky on who gets the priveldege of playing baseball at AU. As far as fighting spirit, i think its put in their heads as soon as they hit the campus. Jp is not a "rah rah" type of coach. He is very demanding of his players on and off the field to represent our fine institution. Give it some time, we will dominate again with wins but will dominate with charactor with young  men that will either succeed in baseball, but succeed in life.     

Nightranger, can I buy you a beer?  :bow: That was great. You're 100% right, a lot of people do get caught up with the bad games here, and it is frustrating. But I know Coach P will prove everyone wrong. War Eagle sir  :bow:

Let me say I agree 100% and I love Coach P.  LSU wanted him but we got'em (I think).  Anyway, I will take up for other fans opinions.  Coach P makes a lot of money to win baseball games.  When you're losing, it comes with the territory.  I also am a believer that criticism keeps one motivated.  Coach P will get his chance to prove how well of a pitching coach he is but we can't put up with losing from any coach.  That's not what puts fans in the stands.  We'll be fans of AU long after Coach Chiz, Coach P, and Coach Barbs leave.  It's our responsibility, as AU fans, to make sure our Ath programs are heading in the right direction.  With that said... there's not a better coach in America we could get that's better than Coach P.  If you think different, you don't know much about college baseball. 

No doubt, we expect and should expect to win. My point, which everybody seems to understand now, is it takes more than 3 seasons to turn a program around. We seen the instant success with a juggernaut offense last year, but with still suspect pitching and come to expect that year in and year out. We had several players commit only to get drafted at the last moment. A brief history, when JP took over C of Charleston, that program had to be literally rebuilt from the ground floor. His mom literally had to wash the players uniforms and their clubhouse was in a double wide. Additionally, his dad had to fix all the netting around the homeplate area to get it up to NCAA standards. i know this info to be facts, not myths. JP had several bad years trying to get his plans in place, 5 short seasons later he was in the College World series. I know alot of folks consider that the conferance was weak, but JP loaded his schedule with South Carolina, ASU and other tough opponents much like he did at Auburn, in my opinion, thats sacrificing personal overall records for the good of the program. If we played a pre SEC schedule like most teams, we would of had 30 wins by know easily, hopefully this endeavor prepared the kids for post season play. Only time will tell . i too, have been so frustrated at our up and down performance like poor fielding, baserunning and pitching, but help is on the way. Some of this is attributed to coaching, but too often we blame the coaching for blunders that the kids do. This is D1 baseball, u get picked of 2nd, thats on you. Seniors need to step up and lead by example.....sorry for the long winded comments, but i really want AU fans to know what a great coach you really have who believes in doing things the right way.....any questions, ask Kris Benson, Tim Hudson, Frank Wren and all the other major leaguers who JP has touched. 

Let me say I agree 100% and I love Coach P.  LSU wanted him but we got'em (I think).  Anyway, I will take up for other fans opinions.  Coach P makes a lot of money to win baseball games.  When you're losing, it comes with the territory.  I also am a believer that criticism keeps one motivated.  Coach P will get his chance to prove how well of a pitching coach he is but we can't put up with losing from any coach.  That's not what puts fans in the stands.  We'll be fans of AU long after Coach Chiz, Coach P, and Coach Barbs leave.  It's our responsibility, as AU fans, to make sure our Ath programs are heading in the right direction.  With that said... there's not a better coach in America we could get that's better than Coach P.  If you think different, you don't know much about college baseball. 

Knowledgeable people can still have different opinions....about this issue and every other issue too. ;)

I don't know if Coach P is the best coach out there or not. I think it's too soon to make such a blanket statement. But it's too soon to think he should be ditched too. But even great coaches don't always do everything right every season, with every player.

i agree.........what is a best coach?  wins/losses, success for kids at the next level, success for kids in all their endeavors?  only time will tell, lets give this some time and  patience and War eagle......

I agree with the just about everything the OP said. I will say, however, that this is the 3rd year for Pawlowski and patience and time went out the window a long time ago in college athletics. Coaches don't get 6 or 7 years to turn a program around anymore. You better get it done in a 5-year window or less, or you are looking for a new job.

I'm definitely willing to give Pawlowski a couple more years to get some quality pitching in here and to see how he develops that pitching. Also, the OP was correct in saying that some of the pitching we have was recruited by Slater. But if you're going to make that point, you also have to admit that we basically slugged our way to the Western Division championship with the offense Slater recruited (Morris, Fletcher, Mummey, Patterson, Jenkins, Hargett). We don't come close to winning the division and hosting a regional without those guys. That argument can work both ways.

In closing, I think Pawlowski can get it done here at Auburn with his own players eventually, but I'm disappointed that certain areas of the team such as pitching and defense aren't further along after three years of him being the head coach. Slater's defenses were among the worst in the country, and the defense these past couple of years hasn't looked a whole lot better at times. It will be interesting to see how we finish this season and how next season plays out as well. That could determine how much more time Pawlowski gets.

I think you have some very valid points. And , agreed the offensive players Slater recruited were amazing and had a huge part in the recent success. But also, it must be agreed that the defensive woes are coming from these same players. I also agree that coaches windows for success are much less in the modern era for college athletics. I think I really got this string going was in response to some fly by night fans that make quick assumptions that the program is in a mess, when i simply think its in transition and in the right direction. it does take time to rebuild and JP's recruiting is really in its infant stages. I think that we are ahead of the curve in the SEC because we now have a coach who has connections all over the United States having coaching experience out west, as well as up north.     

I think you have some very valid points. And , agreed the offensive players Slater recruited were amazing and had a huge part in the recent success. But also, it must be agreed that the defensive woes are coming from these same players. I also agree that coaches windows for success are much less in the modern era for college athletics. I think I really got this string going was in response to some fly by night fans that make quick assumptions that the program is in a mess, when i simply think its in transition and in the right direction. it does take time to rebuild and JP's recruiting is really in its infant stages. I think that we are ahead of the curve in the SEC because we now have a coach who has connections all over the United States having coaching experience out west, as well as up north.       

Yeah, the fielding has been bad for the past 5 years or so no matter who the coach has been. It's really weird.

I agree with the just about everything the OP said. I will say, however, that this is the 3rd year for Pawlowski and patience and time went out the window a long time ago in college athletics. Coaches don't get 6 or 7 years to turn a program around anymore. You better get it done in a 5-year window or less, or you are looking for a new job.

I'm definitely willing to give Pawlowski a couple more years to get some quality pitching in here and to see how he develops that pitching. Also, the OP was correct in saying that some of the pitching we have was recruited by Slater. But if you're going to make that point, you also have to admit that we basically slugged our way to the Western Division championship with the offense Slater recruited (Morris, Fletcher, Mummey, Patterson, Jenkins, Hargett). We don't come close to winning the division and hosting a regional without those guys. That argument can work both ways.

In closing, I think Pawlowski can get it done here at Auburn with his own players eventually, but I'm disappointed that certain areas of the team such as pitching and defense aren't further along after three years of him being the head coach. Slater's defenses were among the worst in the country, and the defense these past couple of years hasn't looked a whole lot better at times. It will be interesting to see how we finish this season and how next season plays out as well. That could determine how much more time Pawlowski gets.

Great post 87

There is no doubt CP is a solid man and represents Auburn well. I appreciate the personal insight of the original poster. Every coach has to have some time to build their program, but Auburn has plenty to offer.

It is NOT CP’s fault that two bad hiring decisions were made before him that adds to the frustration many of us have : the CWS Post Hal drought. I am sick of being in the “maybe next year” mode and just expected year 3 to be much better than what I am seeing. I hope CP becomes the best BB HC in Auburn history and hope we can finish this season strong.

Hope we flush 3 times this weekend!

War Eagle !   

big 1st win today boys. Bama used 5 pitchers, we used too. Got some qaulity at bats today when needed. I hope to you all  in Hoover!

big 1st win today boys. Bama used 5 pitchers, we used too. Got some qaulity at bats today when needed. I hope to you all  in Hoover!

Too? Really? Don't mean to be the grammar police, but c'mon man.

But I agree. Nice first win. We have to win this series.

Too? Really? Don't mean to be the grammar police, but c'mon man.

But I agree. Nice first win. We have to win this series.

:timeout::pcprobs::tease: That made me laugh!!

I feel compelled to get my "2 cents" in on Coach P. I grew up with JP and went to high school with him. Played ball with him, followed his career so allow me to state my opinion from someone who truly knows this great guy, competitor and baseball mind. It does bother me for some of the comments that I read for folks that must be caught up in the frustrasting moments of this season. JP is a great, great coach with an excellent reputation in both college and the major leagues. Last years team was truly an offensive juggernaut, but still lacked pitching depth. Nine of those young men realized their dream, and entered professional baseball. JP was very instrumental in alot of these young men's avenue into MLB. JP also brought us a west champsionship and a regional birth.  his involvement and dedication can be seen in the "Wall of Fame" as well as re-establishing relationships with Bo, and Frank Thomas. The man works 80 hour work weeks and yet finds time to visit his cancer-stricken daughter on a regular basis. True, its been a frustrating season, and I've read where folks thinks recruiting has been an issue. But if you look at whats heading our way, I think some people's minds will be changed. JP knows pitching and we will have quality pitching in here soon. Please remember that some of the pitching is still left over from Slater's regime. It takes time to establish a program how you want it. JP deserves all the time he needs. I really think if some patience is exhibited by so called fans, we will have a winning program year in and year out.      In the mean time, I think JP more than deserves patience and understanding. My hat's off to the hardest, classiest coach in D1 baseball

Thank you for that post 44. I could not agree with you more. I think we have three of the best HC's in the Big Three men's sports, at the same time, in my lifetime. I think there is nothing but greater days ahead for Auburn University with these three men at the helm.

Thank you for that post 44. I could not agree with you more. I think we have three of the best HC's in the Big Three men's sports, at the same time, in my lifetime. I think there is nothing but greater days ahead for Auburn University with these three men at the helm.

I

will be happy if they are sucessful as Dye, Baird and Sonny....just my two cents

Went to first game of double header today, and observed some encouraging things as contrasted to my last game (a couple of seasons ago)....

This AU team is much more fundamentally sound... no errors... batters consistently worked the count on the pitchers... starting pitching looked good... relievers did enough to keep us from getting beat (at least in this game)...

Only a couple of mental errors...

Coaches have elevated our play overall, in my opinion... credit Coach P...

walker77:

Went to first game of double header today, and observed some encouraging things as contrasted to my last game (a couple of seasons ago)....

This AU team is much more fundamentally sound... no errors... batters consistently worked the count on the pitchers... starting pitching looked good... relievers did enough to keep us from getting beat (at least in this game)...

Only a couple of mental errors...

Coaches have elevated our play overall, in my opinion... credit Coach P...

I wish that would have been the case all year. We have to lead the SEC in errors. We can be good when we want to be. It just depends on which team shows up. 

Archived