TJ Davis

AUnCullman

I like the way these recruits keeping saying auburn feels like home and it feels like family. Thats important to kids and parents when they are about to leave home for the first time.  These coaches are doing a great job with alot of good talent and not hurting any recruits feelings while they sort through with one they take. Thats a delicate job to keep some on the back burner sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprising to see his offer list and that he is only a 3 star.  AL, FSU, OSU, ND, TCU and AU. 

and that is just the ones he is high on.  looks like every SEC school and ACC school is in on this kid.

It's true. TJ and his folks are in talks with the AU coaches as we speak. They are working out the details, and I expect a formal announcement at anytime now.

Make NO MISTAKE about this one either guys/gals... Davis is an ELITE caliber DB and one of the TOP in the country! We are VERY fortunate to have him aboard if/when this becomes official!

:we:

How exactly do they "work out the details" of a commitment? 

Happens sometimes when a recruit commits without discussing it first with the coaches he is committing to.  Not hard to figure out why this is important.

Surprising to see his offer list and that he is only a 3 star.  AL, FSU, OSU, ND, TCU and AU. 

ESPN has him at a 4 Star with an 80 rating, similar to Yeldon

This is what national championships do. WDE!!!

Think of it like this hypothetical.... say there's a "list" of players who are "slam dunk" guys, and then there's a list of "maybe's", and then there's the "last minute" guys. These lists are fluid, and guys can move on and off of these lists throughout the year. It's my opinion that possibly a guy like Davis is somewhere in between the "maybe's" and the "slam dunk" guys. The staff probably had him on a list of about 4-5 DB's that they are interested in, but he may not have been at the VERY top. So, before they accept a commitment from him, they have to make SURE that he is 100% committed to them and that he is willing to do what they ask him to do, as far as grades, conditioning, etc... That's all just a hypothetical, but it's something along those lines.

Also, FWIW, this one (if it ends up coming to fruition) comes as a pretty big surprise to me. I knew that Davis had a GREAT time on his visit to AU back on 6/6, but it didn't seem like he was ready to commit afterward or anything. In fact, he seemed to be a heavy lean to Notre Dame more than anyone, if you would've asked me. That's recruiting though.... ever-changing!

Think of it like this hypothetical.... say there's a "list" of players who are "slam dunk" guys, and then there's a list of "maybe's", and then there's the "last minute" guys. These lists are fluid, and guys can move on and off of these lists throughout the year. It's my opinion that possibly a guy like Davis is somewhere in between the "maybe's" and the "slam dunk" guys. The staff probably had him on a list of about 4-5 DB's that they are interested in, but he may not have been at the VERY top. So, before they accept a commitment from him, they have to make SURE that he is 100% committed to them and that he is willing to do what they ask him to do, as far as grades, conditioning, etc... That's all just a hypothetical, but it's something along those lines.

Also, FWIW, this one (if it ends up coming to fruition) comes as a pretty big surprise to me. I knew that Davis had a GREAT time on his visit to AU back on 6/6, but it didn't seem like he was ready to commit afterward or anything. In fact, he seemed to be a heavy lean to Notre Dame more than anyone, if you would've asked me. That's recruiting though.... ever-changing!

Like I said, not hard to figure out. 

Happens sometimes when a recruit commits without discussing it first with the coaches he is committing to.  Not hard to figure out why this is important.

How could a recruit commit somewhere without discussing it with the coaches?  Isn't the commitment a verbal agreement between the recruit and the coaches?  Do you mean the recruit announces his intention to commit (most likely through various media outlets) before discussing the particulars of his situation with the coaches?  

Anyway, if the coaches want him so do I...WDE.  Dear god bring on football season.  

it's being reported on another site that he is already committed to auburn.

Some want to be first, and some want to be right.  I think our Mods are the latter.  However it is starting to look like he made a decision for the good guys.

I'm still baffled either way that a kid who has offers from the likes of AU, Bama, FSU, ND, OSU, ARK, FLA, UGA, LSU, NEB, ETC...ETC... can only be a 3 star rating. 

These are just things that keep adding to my understanding that the recruiting sites are mostly about page views and memberships, not always about truly grading athlete's! 

If he is truly committed then WOO HOO! GLAD TO HAVE YOU TJ!

:wareagle: :wareagle:

I'm still baffled either way that a kid who has offers from the likes of AU, Bama, FSU, ND, OSU, ARK, FLA, UGA, LSU, NEB, ETC...ETC... can only be a 3 star rating. 

These are just things that keep adding to my understanding that the recruiting sites are mostly about page views and memberships, not always about truly grading athlete's! 

Another thing to keep in mind, none of these players have played a single down of their senior season.  There is still a lot of chance for movement on the grading of the players.  If the coaches are right, he will probably not be a 3 star when it is all said and done.

At times it is a situation where COACHES have watched games and seen film on the kid and seen what he does and the recruiting sites people are waiting to see the kids in camps and such.

I trust coaches way more than recruiting sites on opinions on these kids.

As noted above, he is a 4 star per ESPN, as well as the #11 CB nationally.  

One reason to keep in mind that any one recruiting site (present company excepted) doesn't give you the whole picture: guys that are "under the radar" on one site may show up near the top on others.  If I had any programming skills, I might run a comparison of scout/rivals/espn to find the outliers...

Archived