Kick or Receive?

freemanjiro

Kick...I always want the ball to start the second half

Yes, but remember that's why we lost the Iron Bowl last year, according to Kevin Scarbinsky 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/11/auburn_won_the_toss_lost_its_n.html

Down 24-7 at the half, despite finally showing some signs of life, Auburn's going down. When the Tigers lose this game, there will be a lot of reasons, but Gene Chizik should look back at one decision and ask himself this question:

"What was I thinking?"

Auburn won the coin toss.

Auburn had a chance to put its best foot forward, to put its best unit on the field, to take the ball and put it in Cam Newton's hands as soon as possible.

The more at-bats he gets, the more chances he has to hit a home run.

Instead, Chizik deferred.

He went passive instead of aggressive.

He put his defense, his weaker side of the ball, made weaker still without two linemen suspended for the first half because they threw punches against Georgia, out on the field first.

Why?

Alabama already had momentum because of the loudest crowd in Iron Bowl history. Alabama took that momentum and that noise and tripled it by driving 71 yards in seven plays for a touchdown.

The avalanche was on, all because Chizik put the rock in Alabama's hand first.

It may have been the single biggest mistake he's made in his two years at Auburn.

Does anyone know if MSU / Mullen tends to script plays on opening drives? Just as we could get a three and out, we could also give up a very big play off the bat, or another 12-14-16 play drive to open the game. How much gas would that take out of 11:21 am home cowd at JHS?

I keep coming back to this - which match up favors us most- Our O against their D, or their D against our O? All things being equal, general wisdom usually says kick. However, as this game is at home, WHATEVER we can do to get the crowd fired up and keep them fired up should really play to our advantage. If our better matchup is our O against their D, then why not get our better unit on the field first? If we take the ball and get some points first (big play, sustained drive, whatever), I would bet that the crowd would definitely be into the game, make some noise and generally make MSU feel all that much more unwelcome. Could you then imagine a three and out for MSU (false start or other jumpy penalty, miscommunication, jitters, whatever). MSU punt - Trovon takes it to the house. How crazy would it get?

Just really worrry what would happen to the crowd should MSU strike first - either big play or sustained drive.

Or, we could just onside and get the best of both worlds :cool:

Does anyone know if MSU / Mullen tends to script plays on opening drives? Just as we could get a three and out, we could also give up a very big play off the bat, or another 12-14-16 play drive to open the game. How much gas would that take out of 11:21 am home cowd at JHS?

I keep coming back to this - which match up favors us most- Our O against their D, or their D against our O? All things being equal, general wisdom usually says kick. However, as this game is at home, WHATEVER we can do to get the crowd fired up and keep them fired up should really play to our advantage. If our better matchup is our O against their D, then why not get our better unit on the field first? If we take the ball and get some points first (big play, sustained drive, whatever), I would bet that the crowd would definitely be into the game, make some noise and generally make MSU feel all that much more unwelcome. Could you then imagine a three and out for MSU (false start or other jumpy penalty, miscommunication, jitters, whatever). MSU punt - Trovon takes it to the house. How crazy would it get?

Just really worrry what would happen to the crowd should MSU strike first - either big play or sustained drive.

Or, we could just onside and get the best of both worlds :cool:

I don't know if they script plays to open every game, but I do remember watching at least one of their games last year when the announcers mentioned that the first 10 or so plays were scripted.

Archived