ESPN lying in the bed it made

auburn123

Sometime around a decade or so, ESPN/ABC decided that they wanted to promote the BCS in every single game they showed.  So, no matter that it was unranked Colorado v. Colorado State, every single broadcasting team was supposed to talk about the BCS standings.  They even got Allstate to sponsor the segment in every single game.  IMHO, this plan diminished the game I was watching by forcing the announcers to talk about games I wasn't watching instead of the game I chose to watch.  They chose games to represent that philosophy, showing BCS teams playing against 25 point underdogs.

This holiday weekend, ESPN/ABC announcers were forced to talk about CBS's football games rather than their own.  They were left to talk about how AU has a chance against Alabama, so they could make the ESPN/ABC games relevant (which I'm sure many of them don't believe).  They have also been forced to talk about Virginia, Virginia Tech, etc., who they have ignored all season long.  Maybe this will cause ESPN/ABC to rethink that philosophy and start promoting college football as a whole rather that BCS, but I doubt it. 

I highly doubt it as well.

Archived