Very early thoughts after 2 exhibitions and 1 game

benjazz

Hard to tell much yet, but the Indiana team is a real team with one very good player.

Frankie is back. He is a winner and wants the ball with the game on the line. Very athletic again.

Payne is solid. Lots of comments that he looks like Bryant Smith. If he can get 12 points/7 boards a game and play good D like he did tonight we will be in good shape at the 3 (although he played the 4 tonight)

Chubb is still inconsistent offensively, but a double double is a good night. Stayed out of foul trouble which is a huge plus!

Noel Johnson was 0 for 6 shooting. Still VERY inconsistent offensively. Did ok on d and on the boards, but he is there for his offense. May need to come off the bench to be effective

Wallace. About what you expected. Worked hard, but seemed to be off a bit tonight.

Newcomers ALL looked tentative. Price played the most but was hesitant to shoot which was surprising.

Reality is that we need more scoring in the starting lineup. If Johnson is going to be streaky, he may need to come off the bench. We can only have two 6'6" forwards if one of them is going to light it up. Payne is impressive and a very hard worker, but won't be able to match up with bigger strong forwards later on. He would be a very solid SEC 3 though. Chubb was anxious tonight, but will settle down I think. Of the newcomers, Adamu was the only one that seemed to have no fear Wasn't effective but only played a few minutes.

Barbee showed that he is a top notch coach. Went to a zone and had Frankie take over on offense and we won going away. As should be expected with this many new players, it may take a while to get the right combinations on the floor at different times. Frankie and Barbee showed they can win a game which should give the new guys confidence to play their games. Still a fun team to watch while they learn.

Nice observation, with Barbee as the HC and this team I am starting to get interested with the basketball program again.

I think it is going to be a struggle to improve in last year's schedule. But if Barbee can actually hold on to some players they have the potential to start improving.

The defense and rebounding was solid. Loved seeing Sullivan provide leadership. Think we will have some solid penetration when Denson is back. Surely the new guys will see solid improvement. If they do we will fare well...if they don't we will have trouble.

I think adt is athletic for his size. I cringed when he took the 17 footer, though ... It was an ugly shot.

We still need to be better at the line. If our young athletes get going they will be at the line a lot.

Thanks a lot for all the updates guys. This is the first year in the past 4 that I will not have a chance to make it to but a couple of the games. I have been trying to listen/watch some online and read what I can about the team this year. Please keep the updates coming.

I think the future looks promising for Auburn basketball. The arena is a great place for basketball. The way the students surround the court is great - just like Cameron Indoor with much nicer amenities.

One problem I have is the announcer needs to learn how to read announcemnts. He's great with shouting the players name after a made bucket but he can't read a simple announcement to save his life.

I think the future looks promising for Auburn basketball. The arena is a great place for basketball. The way the students surround the court is great - just like Cameron Indoor with much nicer amenities.

One problem I have is the announcer needs to learn how to read announcemnts. He's great with shouting the players name after a made bucket but he can't read a simple announcement to save his life.

Brother, if that's the biggest problem we have all year, I will be one happy Tiger! WDE!!!

Archived