Auburn Residents; Sept. 24th Vote

AgentOrange

Shockingly, I'm voting yes.

I'm shocked

Libertarians favor local electoral process. The Auburn City School System is at a crossroads. Do we cut out buses and arts in exchange for expanded capital or ask the voters to decide if the school system needs expansion. We have seen additional students enter the city schools since last August.....and it keeps getting worse. The schools system has addressed the problem at the elementary level but now must prepare 6-12 for this influx of students. I think this is a wise investment for the future of Auburn.

Make no mistake. Taxes are going to go up no matter what. The question is how are the funds used. The irony of this whole vote is Tom Haley in Auburn. He is the biggest voice for "vote no", but this having to go to a vote is his fault to begin with. Tiger Town was originally going to be in Auburn. Haley in all his greed wanted his way or no way, so they built in Opelika. Opelika now has more money than they can give away. Go look at their school construction for proof. Opelika is pulling in all the money while the Auburn school system gets all the kids. I wholeheartedly urge a yes vote on this issue.

P.S. I applaud opelika for their use of the money Tiger Town is bringing in. From what I've seen, I think they're doing thing the right way.

Looks like the referendum will fail. Looks like Auburn City Schools is going to take a hit. Buses may be a thing of the past like Hoover.

Make no mistake. Taxes are going to go up no matter what. The question is how are the funds used. The irony of this whole vote is Tom Haley in Auburn. He is the biggest voice for "vote no", but this having to go to a vote is his fault to begin with. Tiger Town was originally going to be in Auburn. Haley in all his greed wanted his way or no way, so they built in Opelika. Opelika now has more money than they can give away. Go look at their school construction for proof. Opelika is pulling in all the money while the Auburn school system gets all the kids. I wholeheartedly urge a yes vote on this issue.

P.S. I applaud opelika for their use of the money Tiger Town is bringing in. From what I've seen, I think they're doing thing the right way.

With all due respect. you are way off base as to why Tigertown was built in Opelika. Blame the city council for that. And Auburn city schools are like most places. They always need more money. Huntsville schools got property taxes passed several years in a row but always needed more. The people finally caught on and said no more. The school board couldn't make hard decisions. So they hired former AU Pres. Hacksaw Richardson to come in for a year, assess the situation, and make recommendations. Now the schools are healthier than ever, we have several new school and a new Grissom High is being built. Plus we hired a new School Superintendent, a retired Army colonel with a strong business background, who cracks the whip

With all due respect. you are way off base as to why Tigertown was built in Opelika. Blame the city council for that. And Auburn city schools are like most places. They always need more money. Huntsville schools got property taxes passed several years in a row but always needed more. The people finally caught on and said no more. The school board couldn't make hard decisions. So they hired former AU Pres. Hacksaw Richardson to come in for a year, assess the situation, and make recommendations. Now the schools are healthier than ever, we have several new school and a new Grissom High is being built. Plus we hired a new School Superintendent, a retired Army colonel with a strong business background, who cracks the whip

Tom Haley had EVERYTHING to do with Auburn not getting Tiger Town.

I see what you're saying, but I know for 100% fact that Tiger Town is NOT in Auburn because Tom Haley is.

I see what you're saying, but I know for 100% fact that Tiger Town is NOT in Auburn because Tom Haley is.

Since you are making strong accusations, can you share some facts or are you just being influenced by what you hear from anti-Hayley people? Note you are even spelling his name wrong.

The city of Auburn would be much better without Tom Haley.

Care to elaborate why or is this just your opinion. I am very aware that Auburn residents are split in their opinion of Hayley. Have you ever even talked to him? I know him personally. I know of no one who loves Auburn anymore than he does. His Dad was our Athletic Dir. for many years. He has given a ton of money to AU. In successfully leading the effort to vote down the tax increase, he obviously has a lot of support in Auburn.

Sorry about that. I post on my phone and it auto corrects to Haley. As far as who I've talked to, I'm not starting that fight. You can dismiss this if you would like. It's too late now anyway. But I will speak on a few issues.

1. Auburn University and the City of Auburn are not the same thing. They aren't even funded through the same income. It is easy to support Auburn University without purposefully supporting The City of Auburn.

2. I have talked to him MANY times.

3. Speak with people that deal with him the most.

4. I'm not saying he can't be a good friend. I am saying that not giving him his way is a good way to see what he's really about.

Sorry that I took that on a mini tangent. I think that this no vote is going to hurt the school system. A new high school has to be built no matter what. I'm just worried about where that funding is coming from. I hope nothing gets cut (like music programs). And this is coming from a guy that played football, baseball, and rugby.

Sorry about that. I post on my phone and it auto corrects to Haley. As far as who I've talked to, I'm not starting that fight. You can dismiss this if you would like. It's too late now anyway. But I will speak on a few issues.

1. Auburn University and the City of Auburn are not the same thing. They aren't even funded through the same income. It is easy to support Auburn University without purposefully supporting The City of Auburn.

2. I have talked to him MANY times.

3. Speak with people that deal with him the most.

4. I'm not saying he can't be a good friend. I am saying that not giving him his way is a good way to see what he's really about.

Hey, I know what you are saying. Tom can be difficult sometimes. I only reacted originally because of the accusation we lost Tiger Town because of Tom. I believe we lost it because of the Auburn city fathers who aren't the most brilliant people in Auburn. I hope Auburn gets it's new high school and based on my Huntsville experience I think they will. But the school board has already made a dumb decision. They have bought land for the new school without open bidding. They were offered land cheaper in a better location but didn't take the offer. Why....good old boys at work. To make matters worse, there is a gas pipeline running thru the property that has to be moved. More costs before ground breaking can even begin.

I completely agree that the buying of the land was approached the wrong way. There were a few thing that could have gone differently. I also apologize if it seemed like I was trying to be confrontational. I usually agree with a lot of what you post!

You cannot spend your way to a better school system. It just doesn't work. Compare what you spend per capita on each kid and then take a look at the educational systems that spend less and put out a better product. Anytime, there is the good ol boy system it doesn't work well. There were several reasons why we moved away from Auburn and the school system was one of those reasons. Didn't mean to interject a different slant but this has been going on for years. When we lived there Target wanted to open up in Auburn but the folks would have none of it. So Opelika said come on in....now they have the revenue generated, etc....Auburn powers that be miss out on a ton of opportunity...and Opelika reaps the benefit.

I completely agree that the buying of the land was approached the wrong way. There were a few thing that could have gone differently. I also apologize if it seemed like I was trying to be confrontational. I usually agree with a lot of what you post!

No problem. Just civil discussion. War Eagle!!!

I would love to know how the surveyor missed that pipeline though...

I'm not sure the surveyors missed it. I think everyone knew it was there. The question is why did the school board buy it when there is land cheaper in locations better suited for the school.

You cannot spend your way to a better school system. It just doesn't work. Compare what you spend per capita on each kid and then take a look at the educational systems that spend less and put out a better product. Anytime, there is the good ol boy system it doesn't work well. There were several reasons why we moved away from Auburn and the school system was one of those reasons. Didn't mean to interject a different slant but this has been going on for years. When we lived there Target wanted to open up in Auburn but the folks would have none of it. So Opelika said come on in....now they have the revenue generated, etc....Auburn powers that be miss out on a ton of opportunity...and Opelika reaps the benefit.

You nailed it. Unfortunately a lot of folks in Auburn place blame in the wrong direction.

Archived