over-reacting?

AubTiger14

I am very proud of what our Auburn Tigers did this past year. Coming off a 3-9 season, the most anyone hoped for was an 8 win season. Most did not even thank they would go to a bowl game. What these coaches and players did was way beyond anything anyone could believe was possible. I have seen some bama fans put down their coach and players after the last two game. I will not do that. I know that most of the true AU fans will have more class than that.

War Eagle and forever on the Gus Bus.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of teams that would like to be in Auburn's place today. People that are questioning a call here or there are crazy. I make many mistakes before I even get to bathroom every morning.

There are a lot of teams that would like to be in Auburn's place today. People that are questioning a call here or there are crazy. I make many mistakes before I even get to bathroom every morning.

I hate when that happens.

Yeah boy. I hate the "pee dream" and that moment upon waking and you're like, "surely, I didn't!". Then, "thank goodness!"

If AU would have come out and laid an egg, I could understand some criticism. They played FSU to the final minute. It's hard to criticize them for that, even after the loss.

I'm sure that I will get lambasted for this by some. Just got back from Pasadena and I don't think it's an overreaction at all to say that we gagged that game away. That doesn't mean that I'm not proud of what this team accomplished this season (in fact, this will go down as one of my favorite teams ever), but quite honestly, our team didn't get it done when they had everything in the palm of their hands...twice.

We were openly questioning Malzahn during the game about several calls and situations. I will never understand why, up 21-20, we decided to throw on 3rd & 2 from FSU's 5 yd line when we were running for 4-5 yards per carry that entire drive. We needed a touchdown there for momentum and there was never a doubt in my mind that it was two down territory. Instead we settled for a field goal. And please don't give me the "Sammy was open" talk, because he was NOT the primary receiver. Primary guy was double covered. Marshall had to throw on the run across his body to even get it close to Sammy which is not an easy throw at all.

I also don't understand our insistence to try and run to the edges late in the game. It rarely worked because FSU was, by far, the fastest defense we've seen this year. Doesn't mean they were the best. Just that getting the edges was much tougher than against Bama, Mizzou, etc.

Either way, I think the better team lost Monday night. We left at least 10 points on the field (missed FG and missed TD on the first drive). There's no excuse for blowing an 18 point lead and I think any player/coach will say the same thing. I think that we will be very good again next year, but to expect a playoff berth may be asking a bit much with the schedule we have to play, particularly the road games. Quite honestly, we'd probably have to win the SEC to get into the playoff as the committee is putting a strong emphasis on conference champions.

Always great to be an Auburn Tiger, but this one really stings. The National Title there for the taking and I watched it slip through our fingers.

I'm sure that I will get lambasted for this by some. Just got back from Pasadena and I don't think it's an overreaction at all to say that we gagged that game away. That doesn't mean that I'm not proud of what this team accomplished this season (in fact, this will go down as one of my favorite teams ever), but quite honestly, our team didn't get it done when they had everything in the palm of their hands...twice.

We were openly questioning Malzahn during the game about several calls and situations. I will never understand why, up 21-20, we decided to throw on 3rd & 2 from FSU's 5 yd line when we were running for 4-5 yards per carry that entire drive. We needed a touchdown there for momentum and there was never a doubt in my mind that it was two down territory. Instead we settled for a field goal. And please don't give me the "Sammy was open" talk, because he was NOT the primary receiver. Primary guy was double covered. Marshall had to throw on the run across his body to even get it close to Sammy which is not an easy throw at all.

I also don't understand our insistence to try and run to the edges late in the game. It rarely worked because FSU was, by far, the fastest defense we've seen this year. Doesn't mean they were the best. Just that getting the edges was much tougher than against Bama, Mizzou, etc.

Either way, I think the better team lost Monday night. We left at least 10 points on the field (missed FG and missed TD on the first drive). There's no excuse for blowing an 18 point lead and I think any player/coach will say the same thing. I think that we will be very good again next year, but to expect a playoff berth may be asking a bit much with the schedule we have to play, particularly the road games. Quite honestly, we'd probably have to win the SEC to get into the playoff as the committee is putting a strong emphasis on conference champions.

Always great to be an Auburn Tiger, but this one really stings. The National Title there for the taking and I watched it slip through our fingers.

It could be the cold beers but I "gag" everytime I read one of these type messages on this board. "Always great to an Auburn Tiger" but still a little tough when we end up second among the 100 plus teams competing to be number one.

This idea that our coaches and/or players somehow blew it or "choked" (read that somewhere else on this board) because they lost a razor close national championship game to a talented number one ranked team with a Heisman winner at quarterback is such utter nonsense that I just beg you to please for the love of all things holy go pull for some other team. Bama has plenty of those type of fans already but Troy State could always use some warm bodies and they play good football every ten years or so.

There will be other NC games in the next few years and we will be damn lucky if we have CGM making the decisions for us - although he hopefully will have you in his headset telling him where best to run the football and at what point and time we are in four down territory. By the way, the players and coaches did not let the SEC Championship slip through their fingers so at least we have that at this most disappointing of moments. Three SEC championships in ten seasons plus the natty and still the bitching. Unbelievable.

Sorry, but this pissing and moaning is just beyond me. What a damn season and what a bunch of kids and coaches. War damn eagle!

It could be the cold beers but I "gag" everytime I read one of these type messages on this board. "Always great to an Auburn Tiger" but still a little tough when we end up second among the 100 plus teams competing to be number one.

This idea that our coaches and/or players somehow blew it or "choked" (read that somewhere else on this board) because they lost a razor close national championship game to a talented number one ranked team with a Heisman winner at quarterback is such utter nonsense that I just beg you to please for the love of all things holy go pull for some other team. Bama has plenty of those type of fans already but Troy State could always use some warm bodies and they play good football every ten years or so.

There will be other NC games in the next few years and we will be damn lucky if we have CGM making the decisions for us - although he hopefully will have you in his headset telling him where best to run the football and at what point and time we are in four down territory. By the way, the players and coaches did not let the SEC Championship slip through their fingers so at least we have that at this most disappointing of moments. Three SEC championships in ten seasons plus the natty and still the bitching. Unbelievable.

Sorry, but this pissing and moaning is just beyond me. What a damn season and what a bunch of kids and coaches. War damn eagle!

And this is exactly what I meant by the first sentence in my original post. To each their own. One thing though. Just because I question some things doesn't make me any less of an Auburn man and that I should "pull for another team". I have two degrees from AU, my home office is adorned with memorabilia, and I am the sitting president of our local alumni club where we raise money for out of state kids to attend AU. I've spent way too much of my own time and money attending Auburn events and functions outside of just football, because the university is more to me than just football. Don't ever question someone's commitment to a university or cause unless you know what you speak of.

War Eagle.

And this is exactly what I meant by the first sentence in my original post. To each their own. One thing though. Just because I question some things doesn't make me any less of an Auburn man and that I should "pull for another team". I have two degrees from AU, my home office is adorned with memorabilia, and I am the sitting president of our local alumni club where we raise money for out of state kids to attend AU. I've spent way too much of my own time and money attending Auburn events and functions outside of just football, because the university is more to me than just football. Don't ever question someone's commitment to a university or cause unless you know what you speak of.

War Eagle.

I don't think he was questioning your commitment to AU. If anything it sounds like you are over committed. Maybe we need more fans that just simply support the team and less fans that second guess and question our coaches after what we accomplished this year. I am sure our coaches are doing plenty of that to themselves after the loss.

There's no doubt we had a great season. Hopefully it won't be too long and we're playing for another national championship.

I am proud of the success this season, but no one should be happy with a lose. I know it hurts the players and coaches more than it does the fans. If a player played to the best of his ability and left it all on the field then he should hold his head high and not look back nor second guess what he did. Yes we made mistakes and yes FSU made mistakes during the game, but all we can hope for is that these young men are not satisfied with coming in second place and work harder than they did this past year to become even better. WAR EAGLE!

War Eagle.

I don't think he was questioning your commitment to AU. If anything it sounds like you are over committed. Maybe we need more fans that just simply support the team and less fans that second guess and question our coaches after what we accomplished this year. I am sure our coaches are doing plenty of that to themselves after the loss.

That is a good statement. I have asked myself in the past am I a fan or am I obsessed? The older I get the more of a fan I become and less obsessed. When I was younger and played football and baseball the lose was a lot more difficult at the time, but with youth you tend to bounce back quicker from a lose. Until the time my daughter started playing softball I was closer to obsessed than a fan of Auburn. Then I became her fan and received a lot of joy watching her win 3 state titles and play college softball. I see as I get older I remove myself from letting my life get overly controlled by how a group of 18 - 22 year olds play a game. I remind myself that it is entertainment, and we must all ask ourselves were we not entertained? WAR EAGLE!

War Eagle.

Dude, when you talk like a dope don't be surprised when people react like you must be dopey. God bless you for all the things you do for the athletic department and by all means keep pulling for Auburn like you should but please keep all the half-assed critiques of the team and the coaches to yourself for just a little while if you don't mind. I prefer to think back as this year as one of if not the best year's of Auburn football and don't need negative nancy's like you harshing my mell for a while longer. Its not Auburn. In my memory, the song "Its Great To Be an Auburn Tiger" was started after a beating by Tennessee (about the same time the Nazis bombed Pearl harbor) many years ago and was not something we started after some big win. That's why we are the best fans. Win or lose, "Its great to be an Auburn tiger"! WDE

Only on a discussion board will people bitch and moan when members want to have a discussion that doesn't follow their own line of thought. Seems like most members would be better served to have a blog where no one can respond with an opinion of their own, but everyone can just "like" their post to pump themselves up.

This team gave me so much pleasure this football season. I am an older fan, and in not the greatest of health. I know I might not get too many more seasons to enjoy Auburn Football. However, I could not ask for a better season than 2013. If I die tomorrow, I will know that this team and coaching staff did everything they could to win a NC. I am sure there have been bammers dressed in fake tiger outfits making posts on this site. However, I must say that they now have a team and coaching staff to fear for many seasons when they tangle with us in future Iron Bowls.

I am not one to question coaches or players about plays and decisions. I am not paid to do this and do not know as much about plays and schemes as many who post on this site. The bottom line is that we all might disagree here and there, but at the end of the day, we are all AUburn Tigers that love our team and coaching staff.

Anyone that is criticizing any Auburn player or staff member is completely out of line. NOBODY wanted to win the game more than they did. They are the ones who sacrificed their blood, sweat and tears for our enjoyment. I have never been more proud of a team and staff after this season.

Only on a discussion board will people bitch and moan when members want to have a discussion that doesn't follow their own line of thought. Seems like most members would be better served to have a blog where no one can respond with an opinion of their own, but everyone can just "like" their post to pump themselves up.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is arguing that for funk's sake. When that opinion is by general consensus an asinine one though don't be surprised when people react strongly to the contrary. Picking a couple of plays or calls out of hundreds/thousands over a season as somehow being a basis of criticism of our players and coaches and why we did not win the national championship is not a line of thought so much as a line of stool. Auburn is about to move from a program that fields the occasional championship team to a championship program that is a threat to win it all every year and you just witnessed the first year of that era. Damn its going to be good to be an Auburn fan in 2014. WDE

Yeah boy. I hate the "pee dream" and that moment upon waking and you're like, "surely, I didn't!". Then, "thank goodness!"

I much prefer the "making love dream".

War Eagle.

Dude, when you talk like a dope don't be surprised when people react like you must be dopey. God bless you for all the things you do for the athletic department and by all means keep pulling for Auburn like you should but please keep all the half-assed critiques of the team and the coaches to yourself for just a little while if you don't mind. I prefer to think back as this year as one of if not the best year's of Auburn football and don't need negative nancy's like you harshing my mell for a while longer. Its not Auburn. In my memory, the song "Its Great To Be an Auburn Tiger" was started after a beating by Tennessee (about the same time the Nazis bombed Pearl harbor) many years ago and was not something we started after some big win. That's why we are the best fans. Win or lose, "Its great to be an Auburn tiger"! WDE

This is BS.

Brad is not talking like a "dope". He's expressing his pain at watching the game slip through our fingers. I understand completely where he's coming from. I feel it too. And it doesn't mean we are any less loyal to AU or less of a fan. Nor does it mean we have our priorities crossed up.

There's nothing wrong with re-hashing missed opportunities, that's what this board is for. You are overreacting. Everyone understands that s*** happens in a football game. He isn't trashing players. Indulging in a little "woulda-coulda-shoulda" is just part of the grieving process.

Lighten up.

This team and these coaches have absolutely nothing to apologize for or be ashamed of! Fans have absolutely nothing to complain about!!

This team never said quit once this season!

This team exceeded the wildest expectations of every so-called 'expert' in the country and every rational fan! This team believed in themselves more than anyone else did after the 2012 nightmare.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the last 79 seconds of this season, but no more disappointed than every player, coach, assistant, and staff member on this team who gave their all. Meanwhile, I experienced triumphant last second moments this season that will last forever in the annals of college!

It's great to be an Auburn Tiger and I thank this team for reminding me of that every game (and the days in between) !!

This team and these coaches have absolutely nothing to apologize for or be ashamed of! Fans have absolutely nothing to complain about!!

This team never said quit once this season!

This team exceeded the wildest expectations of every so-called 'expert' in the country and every rational fan! This team believed in themselves more than anyone else did after the 2012 nightmare.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the last 79 seconds of this season, but no more disappointed than every player, coach, assistant, and staff member on this team who gave their all. Meanwhile, I experienced triumphant last second moments this season that will last forever in the annals of college!

It's great to be an Auburn Tiger and I thank this team for reminding me of that every game (and the days in between) !!

Great post! Well-stated and every point you make rings true.

A lot of bickering......Here's the point of my OP. If you want to say things like "I think we maybe should have tried to score again before halftime" or give other reasonable analysis on why we lost the game that's fine. As fans none of us know all the factors Gus does in making those decisions, but we have right to voice reasonable and constructive opinions on sites just like these.

But some people were being way over the top and were letting the emotions of the game get the best of them. A lot of it got removed quickly from this site, but I saw a surprising amount in other places. "Gus blew the game" "Our defense sucks". These are over the top statements that are not accurate and don't take into account everything that actually happened in the game or this season. It's being a fanatic and not a fan. Most people weren't like this, but an astonishing number were in my eyes. How foolish do the Bammers look when they freak out on Saban for losing one game, only for Saban to pretty much say that people in Tuscaloosa are crazy and unrealistic? I'm not saying everyone was acting like this, but the few that were need to have some perspective and that was my overall point.

I know that there are some on this site that have hung around in the dark corners, and come out when Auburn loses. Most likely, some of these are bammers trying to put on tiger clothing. We do not know this for sure, but most of us that are true Auburn fans, have a very good idea who these folks are. They like to come here and make folks think they are Auburn fans, while trying to bring down Auburn. This goes on with other SEC teams of which I am 99% sure of. It is the responsibility of the Mods and true Auburn fans to keep a close eye out for this. We have the best mods out there that keep this site fun and educational. Yes, we do have Auburn fans that get upset and anry with the team, coaches, and fellow Auburn fans. They have a right to do so as long as they stay respectful. Respectful is the key no doubt.

I could not be any more proud of this team and coaches for an unbelievable season!! However; to say that, in the BCSCG, (1) the D gave up TDs at two very critical points in the game - right before the half and of course with 13 seconds left in the game (letting them drive 70 plus yards in under a minute and a half) and (2) our special teams played uncharacteristically very poorly in the game are not over reactions nor is it bashing anyone. It is just pointing out reasons why we didn't win a game that we had control of.

wde

Archived