Traveling through birmingham

bammanmr

I'm going to be leaving lovely MS early friday morning and hitting bamerham at about 8am (so I can make the coaches luncheon :) ). Is the I-20 EAST/I-59 NORTH bridge still closed (it was 3 weeks ago) for construction??

If so, what's the best way to get around that FUBAR section of I-20 headed to Atlanta??

Thanks in advance, for the help.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I'm going to be leaving lovely MS early friday morning and hitting bamerham at about 8am (so I can make the coaches luncheon  :) ). Is the I-20 EAST/I-59 NORTH bridge still closed (it was 3 weeks ago) for construction??

If so, what's the best way to get around that FUBAR section of I-20 headed to Atlanta??

Thanks in advance, for the help.

127913[/snapback]

It is still closed. There is no "good" way through there. I would suggest that you take the 459 loop around the downtown area. Take Exit 106 off of 1-20-59 and loop aroundthe south side of the city. It is only about two to three miles longer, but a hell of a lot quicker.

Thanks. But the problem is, I get on at Highway 78 up by B'ham Southern which is only about a mile from the bridge. Is it still faster backtracking from up there?

Guest Tigrinum Major
Thanks. But the problem is, I get on at Highway 78 up by B'ham Southern which is only about a mile from the bridge. Is it still faster backtracking from up there?

127926[/snapback]

My bad, I assumed you would be coming through on I-20/59 all the way. No, it is not quicker that way. There are some backroads from Walker County that will spit you out in Gardendale and then you couldtake 65 South back to I-20. I don't know those routes well enough to tell you.

If it were me (and it was last week), I would take I-65 South (you have to) and instead of following traffic, I would take the 4th Avenue South Exit (second one past the I-59/20 exit) and go through downtown until you hit Richard Arrington BLVD. Turn right on RAB and that will take you to the Civic Center. Go back under the interstate and turn right. Go two blocks and take a right and then an immediate left. This will put you back on I-20/59 right past the BJCC.

There is no good way through there, but you don't have to follow the bottleneck that the city police suggest. I alwasy feel better as long as I am moving forward, even if I travel a longer distance.

If you are wanting to get on I-20 near BSC, why not just go straight over I-20 on Arkadelphia Rd., go past BSC then hang a left on 8th. Ave., go thru B-ham, then get on I20 to Atlanta up around 21st. St. North?

I live in Gardendale and work in B'ham during the week. If you are coming that way and want I-59/20 North, you can take the junction. Actually, the I-65 S route works, becuase you can get on 59/20 going both directions at the junction as if everything was normal. The only problems arise if you are going on 59/20 N from the BSC direction. That time you have to take the B'ham exit and cut over through downtown.

If you are coming down highway 78, don't get anywhere near Arkadeplhia. Take Finley Blvd over to I65 then take I65 south & hit I20/59

Guest Tigrinum Major
If you are coming down highway 78, don't get anywhere near Arkadeplhia.  Take Finley Blvd over to I65 then take I65 south & hit I20/59

127961[/snapback]

I had forgotten about that route. But anywhere you go near mal-function junction, expect a delay. Saturday might not be so bad.

If you take Finley to I65 south, there may be a little congestion on that short stretch of I65 but after you move over to the left lanes for the turn to I20/59 there will be very little traffic. There will be no traffic as you enter I20/59 because the road is closed.

I go to work that way every day, but usually go down Daniel Payne Dr. to the 31st Ave exchange at I65.

:big:

The same thing happened to a bridge right up the road from this one two years ago while I was in Grad school at :au: . They got a new bridge in 59 days. That is amazing.

This was that bridge about a month ago, so I would say yes it is still under construction.

226799.jpg

128006[/snapback]

I just heard on the news that the bridge is complete and will be opened tomorrow. Gov Riley will be here tomorrow for the ribbon cutting. He will get to cut the highway ribbon in the morning and then head over to Atlanta to see the Tigers put a whipping on the Vols!!

WAR EAGLE!!!

IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!!!

:au::au:

Bridge will be open at 10am from what the local news said. The Gov will be cutting the ribbon. They had till Dec 31 and they made a bonus of 50,000 a day so it looks like a 1.3 mill bonus.

Archived