daily quickie

bigsixfive

The Lead Item

Two Words For You:

BCS.  YES!

BCS critics lost bigger than any team; they lost their right to gripe.

The BCS system was created to match up 1 vs. 2; everyone -- coaches, media, PCs -- agrees that USC and Oklahoma are 1-2.

The Orange Bowl winner will deserve its coaches' share of the national title.

Gee, look at that: The system works!

But what about giving EVERY unbeaten a chance at the title? News flash: That was never the system's goal. The system might be fundamentally screwed up, but it worked as devised. Fundamental problem with BCS, doesn't match top 2 teams as advertised... success is based on matching polls.

If the media doesn't like it, they are in a position to put their money where their mouth is:

Vote Auburn as No. 1, if the Tigers beat Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

What About Auburn?

Let the Orange go, Tiger fans. Bitterness only means "they" win.

The best shot of making a case for the media pollsters to jump Auburn over the Orange winner would have been to see the Tigers crush unbeaten media-darling Utah, or even Texas.

But the BCS cabal made sure fans won't get that matchup.

Why? Conspiracy theory: Because an Auburn-Utah (or Auburn-Texas) bowl would have siphoned legitimacy from the BCS' sanctioned title game.

So don't hold your breath for that idea of Auburn as co-champ. Not for merely beating Va Tech.

link

Merely beating Va Tech!

Isn't USC beating Va Tech one of the reasons USC deserved to be in the OB to begin with. If VA Tech is not one of the best teams then USCs SOS is crap. There is a catch 22 here isnt there.

To our new VT visitors I do think VA Tech is a very good team.

BCS. NOOOOOO!!!!!

I will be the first to proclaim, believe it or not, that even if AU got the nod for an Orange Bowl birth, that the system sucks. I think you can compare these three all day long and there are tons of legitimate pros and cons for each team. Bottom line is they all deserve it and the fact that someone gets left out is an absolute travesty and proves hands down that the system is a failure. USC deserved a shot alst year. They deserve one this year. So does OU. So does Auburn.

I'm not pissed at OU or USC. I hate the system, plain and simple. Why can't the powers that be see that this is the ONLY organized sport in the world, outside of gymnastics, that doesn't allow the champion to be decided on the field of play??? How hard is that??? Better yet, WHY IS THAT??? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here is the deal. Auburn picked the wrong year to go undefeated. Last year no team was unscathed but this year there are five.

If we beat our fourth top ten rated team this year in the Sugar Bowl, I am going to the mullet route and declare a national championship for Auburn. I will even put it on a bumper sticker to make it official. :au: #1

Archived