Coaching changes at LSU

Tigermike

Jimbo Fisher to stay at LSU.

Muschamp not staying at LSU. He is going to the Dolphins with Saban.

Jimbo Fisher to stay at LSU

January 12, 2005

By Glenn Guilbeau

gguilbeau@gannett.com

BATON ROUGE -- Offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher is staying at LSU in that capacity, LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman and new football coach Les Miles confirmed on Tuesday night.

"I talked to Jimbo today and he wanted to let the other people know that he wouldn't be taking their job," Bertman said.

Bertman said Fisher was close to saying he would stay at LSU over the past several days, but Miami Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga kept offering him more money. Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban, who left LSU after the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1, offered Fisher an offensive assistant's job on his staff but not coordinator. Saban said he wants his coordinator to have NFL experience.

Fisher, who has coached only on the college level, also was entertaining an offer to be North Carolina State's offensive coordinator. He did not return calls on Tuesday night.

Miles met twice with Fisher in the days following the announcement of Miles' hiring on Jan. 3 and offered Fisher the coordinator job and said it will continue to include play calling.

"It didn't take me long to figure out how very talented Jimbo Fisher is," Miles said over the weekend.

Miles did not want to comment on his LSU staff until it is complete. He plans to release that later in the week. He has also confirmed, though, that offensive line coach Stacy Searels will remain on the staff.

Fisher is already among the highest paid assistant coaches in the Southeastern Conference and nation with a total package in the $250,000 range. He is also one of the few assistants in the nation with a multiyear contract. He has two years left on his current LSU contract.

LSU finished the 2004 season No. 1 in the SEC in rushing offense with 193.8 yards a game.

In 2003 when LSU won the BCS national championship, the Tigers finished No. 2 in the SEC in scoring offense (33.9 points a game), rushing offense (185.7 yards a game) and in passing efficiency as well as No. 3 in total offense (418 yards a game).

In 2001, LSU's offense set school records for total offense (5,418 yards), passing yards (3,578), passing yards per game (298.5) and total offense per game (451.5).

Fisher, who came to LSU from Cincinnati after the 1999 season as one of Saban's first hires, put up those numbers with several starting quarterbacks -- Josh Booty in 2000, Rohan Davey in 2001, Matt Mauck and Marcus Randall in 2002, Mauck in 2003 and Randall and JaMarcus Russell in 2004.

A native of Clarksburg, W.Va., Fisher was the quarterbacks coach at Auburn from 1993 through 1998 before becoming Cincinnati's offensive coordinator in 1999.

Muschamp not staying at LSU

Dolphins Make Coaching Changes For 2005

January 10, 2005

Miami Dolphins Head Coach Nick Saban named Derek Dooley, Will Muschamp and Bobby Williams (pictured) to the team’s coaching staff for 2005. Dooley and Williams will join the staff as offensive assistant coaches, while Muschamp will be a defensive assistant coach.

LSU finished the 2004 season No. 1 in the SEC in rushing offense with 193.8 yards a game.

That's an interesting stat... thought for sure RB and Caddy would smoke us senior season, huh?

That's an interesting stat... thought for sure RB and Caddy would smoke us senior season, huh?

138209[/snapback]

Yeah, you guys were awesome this year.

138209[/snapback]

Gee, Auburn had two backs over 900-yards. LSU couldn't field ONE!

:rolleyes:

138209[/snapback]

HA HA HAAAAAA

An LSU fan trying to badmouth THIS YEARS team!! HA.. HA.....HA.....

Oh my. Thanks for the laugh.

I thought for sure that Jamarcus Russell (that third string QB you had this year) was the greatest QB ever to walk the planet. Certainly, HE won the Heisman like you corndogs predicted......right?!

Yeah, buddy, LSU ran further than us. Hang your hat on that one.

yeah, Justin Vincent won the Heisman, and was an all-american ..

oh, wait, nevermind - he did nothing

Did Justin Vincent play this year?...don't really remember.  ;)

138222[/snapback]

Oooo... below the belt. ;)

I could care less as long as we get the yards.

Did Justin Vincent play this year?...don't really remember.  ;)

138222[/snapback]

Oooo... below the belt. ;)

I could care less as long as we get the yards.

138438[/snapback]

Sounds good to me. On 10-22-05 you guys get all the yards you want and give us the WIN! :big::big:

:au::au:

yeah, i could careless about the yards as long was we get the points. but that's just me.

my question for you would be: why did it take jimbo a year and half to see that justin vincent wasn't even the best running back in his class? alley broussard is a LOT better than him, and was the year before as well. yeah, at least you know you'll be able to run the ball next year since you still won't have a quarterback!

138209[/snapback]

Auburn "smoked" lsWHO along with the ENTIRE SEC. :lol::lol::lol:

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

yeah, i could careless about the yards as long was we get the points. but that's just me.

my question for you would be: why did it take jimbo a year and half to see that justin vincent wasn't even the best running back in his class? alley broussard is a LOT better than him, and was the year before as well. yeah, at least you know you'll be able to run the ball next year since you still won't have a quarterback!

138449[/snapback]

We'll see, my friend. We'll see.

I'll take LSU's current QB situation over AU's any day.

Most of the pre-preseason rankings that the talking-heads have spewed out have LSU in the top 3 and they say that the QB is the reason. They say they liked the way Russell came in late during the CapOne Bowl and how he performed. If Russell was so good, why was he the coach's third choice in that game?

interesting, you'd rather have the guy who's proved he can't than the guy who's proved nothing? your choice. and i'll be down in baton rouge to see next fall. i'm alwasy lookin for good cajun folks to hang out with and have some fun before the game. maybe i'll see you down there.

If Russell was so good, why was he the coach's third choice in that game?

138466[/snapback]

Flynn performed very well during bowl practice, and as his last game Saban thought he owed it to him.

i think if russell played the whole game against iowa, lsu would have won. he looked awesome on that last drive, i think he's gonna be a very good qb.

based on the way he played i was surprised he wasn't playing earlier in the game.

i think if russell played the whole game against iowa, lsu would have won. he looked awesome on that last drive, i think he's gonna be a very good qb.

based on the way he played i was surprised he wasn't playing earlier in the game.

138540[/snapback]

Ditto. 12-15 and 2 TD's in one quarter isn't bad.

I will take Auburn's situation right now over LSU's. I mean it is kinda sad when you have to come over to the SEC Champions Board 13-0 by the way and let them know that your team had more rushing yards per game. Let' s see, Auburn had the #1 scoring defense, the SEC MVP, and The Consensus Coach of the Year. Congrats LSU on your conference rushing title, and Citrus Bowl loss.

Archived