No.1 Equestrian beats #2 Georgia

WarTiger

11687758.jpeg

No. 1 Auburn def. No. 2 Georgia, 12-8 Location Bishop, Ga. | Equestrian Complex Results PDF Online Twitter: @AuburnEQ | Facebook: Auburn Equestrian

BISHOP, Ga. - The No. 1 Auburn equestrian team exceled on the road Saturday, defeating No. 2 Georgia, 12-8, at the Equestrian Complex in Bishop, Ga., and sweeping the regular season series with the Bulldogs. The victory moved the top-ranked Tigers to 7-1 on the season and 3-1 overall.

“The team has been riding unbelievably well in practice and we knew that if we carried that over to the arena, we could get a win on the road,” head coach Greg Williams said. “We did that today and rode extremely well. I truly believe that we haven’t come close to peaking yet and we couldn’t ask to be more complete at this moment in the season than we are right now.”

The Tigers opened the day with a pair of 3-2 victories in Horsemanship and Equitation over Fences. Western seniors Hannah Loseke and Griffin Knight along with freshman Lauren Diaz picked up wins for Auburn in Horsemanship as Knight earned the first point in a 73-68.5 victory. Diaz defeated Georgia’s Graysen Stroud 76-73.5 and Loseke closed out the event with a 77-73.5 win over Madison Anger. The 77 points was a season-high for the Kearney, Neb., product.

In Equitation over Fences, a trio of freshmen in Caitlin Boyle, Hayley Iannotti and Ashton Alexander guided the Tigers to a 3-2 win in the event. Boyle edged Georgia’s Meg O’Mara, 87-85, while Alexander earned a 78-77 victory over Leylan Gleeson. Ianotti picked up the largest margin over victory for the Tigers in Fences, defeating Alex Maracic, 83-75.

Following intermission, the Auburn Hunt Seat riders dominated Equitation on the Flat and came away with a 4-1 win. Alexander opened scoring with an 80-77 win over Gleeson, while junior Ashley Foster bested O’Mara, 89-87. Senior Elizabeth Benson picked up an 85-80 win to remain undefeated in the event this season (8-0-0) and Boyle closed out Flat with an 87-80 victory.

Knight and sophomore Alexa Rivard sealed the deal for the Tigers in Reining as each earned victories over the Bulldogs. Knight garnered a 68-63.5 win over Charley Thiel, while Rivard picked up her team-leading sixth win in the event after edging Georgia’s Stroud, 67-66.

Boyle, Knight and Alexander led Auburn with a two wins a piece. Boyle was honored as MOP in Equitation over Fences, while Loseke earned her first MOP honor this season in Horsemanship.

Auburn returns to The Plains in two weeks, hosting SEC rival and defending national champion South Carolina at the Auburn University Horse Center. The teams face off at 1 p.m. CT, Feb. 27.

For the latest on Auburn equestrian, follow @AuburnEQ on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AuburnEQ.

Huge win on the road! It's very hard to ride horses that belong to the home team and win against a top program.

Huge win on the road! It's very hard to ride horses that belong to the home team and win against a top program.

So that's how it works? Wow, that seems like a very difficult task. You have no idea how the horse reacts to different stimuli and how to feel them out? That's a huge disadvantage for the traveling team. I guess trailering horses all over the country isn't really an option, but it sure seems like a big thing to have to ride a horse in competition you've never ridden before.

Perhaps another NC coming? If so, the girls teams, soccer, BB, gymnastics and equestrian have been very good this year.

So that's how it works? Wow, that seems like a very difficult task. You have no idea how the horse reacts to different stimuli and how to feel them out? That's a huge disadvantage for the traveling team. I guess trailering horses all over the country isn't really an option, but it sure seems like a big thing to have to ride a horse in competition you've never ridden before.

The horses are "vetted" as properly trained and ready for competition. There is a random draw for horses before the meet so the home team doesn't get to pick "their" favorite horses. Being on the road doesn't seem to be any more of a disadvantage in this sport than it is in any other.

The horses are "vetted" as properly trained and ready for competition. There is a random draw for horses before the meet so the home team doesn't get to pick "their" favorite horses. Being on the road doesn't seem to be any more of a disadvantage in this sport than it is in any other.

Didn't realize this, thanks!

Being a former medic for the Clemson Equestrian Club Team and having ties to the current Auburn program I can tell you that it isn't as tough as it was a few years ago but it's still a home field advantage using the horses you train on. Just my .02.

Being a former medic for the Clemson Equestrian Club Team and having ties to the current Auburn program I can tell you that it isn't as tough as it was a few years ago but it's still a home field advantage using the horses you train on. Just my .02.

Certainly it's something of an advantage, but at least they don't get to hold the best horses out for themselves. I'd put the home team advantage somewhere close to what home basketball teams enjoy.

Speaking of equestrians and medics, I bet you were busy! I had an opportunity to discuss some football injuries with Coach Tuberville, many moons ago. One thing led to another and he said the equestrian team had more kids in with the trainers and medics than did his football team. I ride a couple times a week and there are several family members that come here to my farm to ride. We keep plenty of ace bandages and a large assortment of band-aids on hand at all times. :)

Archived