A-Day Game Thread

jared52

If you can't see the game, post ?'s and those of us who are watching can try to answer them.

Or you can just comment on the game...

First drive by the Blue team stalls but Vaughn hits a 46-yard FG. That was good to see,

Tre had 2 carried and got 1 yard. Cox seemed to have a good presence in the pocket, but got sacked once.

Not bad, not good, but not bad.

The first drive for the 2nd String Blue team was not as successful. Kenny Irons got about 8 yards, but Booker couldn't complete a pass.

The Cox-Taylor connection will be then next Nix-Sanders...

CT is always open!

Carl Stewart is running "Ronnie-like", dragging defenders and ALWAYS falling forward.

Second string stalls and Vaughn misses a 45-yard FG.

Vaughn is getting a lot of works and he didn't miss this one by too much. I think we can breathe a little this year when we have to try for a FG.

First half is over with the Blue up 6-0.

Stanley McClover is AWESOME. It's like watching Dwight Freeny.

Cox's only weakness this game seems to be his arm strength, which is nothing new. He has been accurate, but I'd like to see him get those balls in there a little faster.

Hail Mary at the end of the half was caught on the 1, but the WR couldn't get it in the end zone.

Jay Jacobs is being interviewed now.

9-0 Final

McClover, Cox, and K. Irons had good games. Should be interesting to watch this team develop.

I guess the OL is kind of a hodge podge makeup righ now, and didn't do all that good...they were OK but will have to get a heck of a lot better before the season starts.

The defense looks good, even with a lot of the 1st teamers out with injury. Fast.. and quick to the ball....better pass coverage also.

9-0 Final

McClover, Cox, and K. Irons had good games.  Should be interesting to watch this team develop.

151707[/snapback]

wasn't it 6-0?

First String seeemd to move the ball well between the 20s. Once inside the D shut them down.

We threw well enough and the this Lee Guess was open and once he started to catch balls was amazing. Deepouts looke very good. We threw more across the middle, re Tre Smith getting hit so bad.

Seemed the D was back to me, limited input due to LB situation and limits of A-Day.

Cox started to strut a little after kickoff. Booker could not get a reciever to hang on to a ball at first but looked good later on.

Hard to really tell too much. It is ot against a real opponent and quirky rules hurt judgments too. D shut the O down when they needed too. O looked much as Borges said, More downfield throwing the ball and steady production in the run.

We are not going to see BC as good as JC this year, so get ready for what I bet will be some complaining for the first 2-3 games.

Irons and Stewart looked very good. I REALLY like Irons. Tre seemed slower than normal somehow. Might just have been me.

First String seeemd to move the ball well between the 20s. Once inside the D shut them down.

We threw well enough and the this Lee Guess was open and once he started to catch balls was amazing. Deepouts looke very good. We threw more across the middle, re Tre Smith getting hit so bad.

Seemed the D was back to me, limited input due to LB situation and limits of A-Day.

Cox started to strut a little after kickoff. Booker could not get a reciever to hang on to a ball at first but looked good later on.

Hard to really tell too much. It is ot against a real opponent and quirky rules hurt judgments too. D shut the O down when they needed too. O looked much as Borges said, More downfield throwing the ball and steady production in the run.

We are not going to see BC as good as JC this year, so get ready for what I bet will be some complaining for the first 2-3 games.

Irons and Stewart looked very good. I REALLY like Irons. Tre seemed slower than normal somehow. Might just have been me.

151757[/snapback]

Couldnt have said it better myself. I always tried to reach out to "other" members on this board, and point out that Cox will flourish..... in due time. I think mid-way through the season we will see a qb better than the one we see in the first game.

McClover......Groves......did Cox wee wee last night dreamin of those 2 in the a-day game? THOSE 2 ARE BEASTS!!!

Tre did seem slower....his acceleration off the handoff is not as quick. Irons seemed like he had the fastest acceleration towards the hole than any other back.

I think Tre will start the first game with Stewart, only because of "experience" and pre-game jitters....but I expect Irons to get an equal or more carries than Tre in every game. Irons will start more games than Tre...mark my words :big:

Both qbs had their moments...but I wasnt really too impressed with either. Cox couldnt throw bullet if he tried, but has got great accuracy.

Also seems like our o-line has some problems when passing, but that could just be McClover and Groves being that good! :D

B. Cox looked very good in running the plays that he was told to run. Tre will be a very good starting rb in the SEC.

It is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger! :au:

B. Cox looked very good in running the plays that he was told to run. Tre will be a very good starting rb in the SEC.

It is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger! :au:

151823[/snapback]

But tre isnt even the best rb on the team....

You may want to state your case with Coach Tuberville or Coach Borges. They are the folks that pick the starters. They have named Tre and Brandon Cox the "starters". :D

You may want to state your case with Coach Tuberville or Coach Borges. They are the folks that pick the starters. They have named Tre and Brandon Cox  the "starters". :D

151857[/snapback]

I dont have to state anything, the whole board can see tre isnt the best back on the team...which is a good thing because he is a really good runningback. Ive read alot of posts on this board that agree, Irons is a faster better back than Tre...and Stewart has more power than Tre....

Did you go to the a-day game??

"Junior Kenny Irons, who transferred to Auburn from South Carolina, had the best day among running backs seeking to replace Brown and Williams. Irons rushed 18 times for 73 yards, running for both the Blue and White teams. Carl Stewart rushed 13 times for 41 yards and Tre Smith had 34 yards on eight carries"

:no::poke:

Irons has grown on me throughout the spring-I started to get on the Irons bandwagon the practice before the first scrimmage-I think he will get most of the carries come fall wheather or not he starts-I see the most potential in him

Tre has alot of good qualities such as acceleration and body control (which I feel are the two most important for a RB to have), and great vision. I do not think he is strong enough a runner for the SEC. What I mean by that is usually if a defender hits or grabs Tre he goes down. Stewart and Irons can break arm tackles. I feel this is very important because alot of times (as seen on Aday), someone gets a hand on the runningback when he hits the line of scrimmage. Carnell was the best at getting by those defenders who met him at the line with his mixture of moves, body control and power. Tre will play alot but I don't think he will be the man getting a majority of the carries. I was really hoping with all the weight he put on he would have gotten equally as strong but I don't think that is the case.

Either way Aday wasn't really a good scenerio to judge either of them IMO. Too much base stuff and handcuffed Olines and defense. I'm looking forward to watching the scrimmage on Wednesday because they are supposed to let loose on everything. :thumbsup:

So, bottom line as of today, TRE SMIRH is the STARTING rb for AU.

Anything else is just opinion. I have stated mine. You should feel free to do the same as should everyone else, but, it doesn't change the facts. :D:poke::lol:

I think most people here know I'm not usually very negative when it comes to all things Auburn. But I gots to rant just a little. I was extremely disappointed in the whole A-Day experience this time. Nothing against the players or their performance, but I was not happy with loading up two kids, driving all that way to watch them run 20-30% of the offense, according to Borges. Why would you keep it so incredibly vanilla? Do these kids not know more of the playbook than that by now? After watching the same off tackle run and fly pattern for the 50th time, after watching Bliss punt the 50th line drive, I was ready to go.

I've had a much better time going to a regular practice. They do much more there than the A-Day "scrimmage". Many of you may not remember, but they used to divide the teams up and actually play a game. The first string offense and 2nd string D played against the 1st team defense and 2nd team offense. Just my opinion, but I don't think anyone got a chance to showcase what they could do as individuals or as a unit with this watered down format. Practice, yea okay. But A-Day? Give us something to drive up there for. ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sorry for the negativity but that scrimmage just wasn't worth the effort to attend.

I think most people here know I'm not usually very negative when it comes to all things Auburn.  But I gots to rant just a little.  I was extremely disappointed in the whole A-Day experience this time.  Nothing against the players or their performance, but I was not happy with loading up two kids, driving all that way to watch them run 20-30% of the offense, according to Borges.  Why would you keep it so incredibly vanilla?  Do these kids not know more of the playbook than that by now?  After watching the same off tackle run and fly pattern for the 50th time, after watching Bliss punt the 50th line drive, I was ready to go.

I've had a much better time going to a regular practice.  They do much more there than the A-Day "scrimmage".  Many of you may not remember, but they used to divide the teams up and actually play a game.  The first string offense and 2nd string D played against the 1st team defense and 2nd team offense.  Just my opinion, but I don't think anyone got a chance to showcase what they could do as individuals or as a unit with this watered down format.  Practice, yea okay.  But A-Day?  Give us something to drive up there for.  ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sorry for the negativity but that scrimmage just wasn't worth the effort to attend.

151914[/snapback]

because so much more emphasis is put on the game I think the coaches try to put on a show instead of a real practice. I, as many others on here, would understand what was going on if they came out and the offense looked terrible because they are running plays that they just learned or there was a miscommunication b/w DBs learning a new coverage and it left a reciever wide open or anything else of that nature. The general public wouldn't know what was going on and/or think we were just awful and there would be that thought circulating throughout the offseason.

Go look at http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/ if you want to see how much attention this game gets. Look at the boards and how much people are talking about it. I think it's kinda funny how much emphasis it gets when we were limiting ourselves so much. There is going to be a scrimmage on Wednesday where they unleash everything and it will be far more telling than Aday but it won't get much coverage.

Aday does get the players practicing in front of a crowd though

Archived